Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My 55 reg had a new Battery under warranty a few months back (the RAC man left the ignition on after looking at a faulty oxygen sensor - also replaced under warranty). Yesterday the sat nav flicked off and then on again a few times whilst driving...I thought nothing of it because it came back on. This morning I drove from Manchester to Birmingham, everything working fine, but stopped at the services on the way back. I got a sandwich and ate it and sent a few text messages...probably took about 15 minutes at the most. During that 15 minutes the ignition was on and therefore the sat nav unit as well as the radio, a mobile charger and the heated seat. And then the Battery went dead...or at least too low to start the car (a few lights flickered and I got a clicking noise when trying to start). I'm covered under warranty still so it's going in tomorrow but my question is should a new Battery die after 15 minutes using those functions and is it possible the sat nav going off and on is related?

Thanks as always.

Dunno what the rating is on the Battery for a Mk3, so I'll pick 100Ah which means it can give out 100A for an hour before it dies, or 400A in 15 mins. (Odds are that at that discharge rate you'd hear the Battery boiling.)

Playing with a few toys in the car park shouldn't trouble a new Battery.

Its either the Battery is duff (unlikely but easily tested), there's a wiring fault somewhere causing your Battery to contineously drain significantly or the altenater (sp?) is gubbed.

Can't comment on the sat nav flicker, sorry.