Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lights On Dash Board Flashing

inflames

Morning all, as some of you may already know iv been having a few electrical issues for the last week or so. But for those who dont know it started about 2-3months ago when i had problems with one of my headlights playing up, not turning it was very intermitent. I solved this my finding i had some dirty contacts in the headligh circuit. Great think all thats done. ;)

Then last weekend i had a issue with a headlight relay clicking what i found very annoying as it drained my Battery fault so was able to take the missus to the bus stattion that morning! Anyway i give the Battery a boost charge and decided to take it for a long drive to charge it back up. I have checked for water getting into to the fuse box and nothing seems to be in there? I did how ever find on a another web site that this issue can also be related to the alarm ECU, a transistor is know to go faulty on this board, the comon fault of this is the headlight relay clicks on and off like it would when the alarm is set off flashing its headlights. :o crap my wallet didnt like the sound of that!!! Simple solution dont activate the alarm!? <_< :blink:

Anyway apart braking the key on tuesday the car seems to have been fine no issue's so happy :driving:. Went to the car first thing today and the relay was clicking away again, i could have cryed but the car started up fine and that might of Eliminated the possibilty of it being a ECU problem? i noticed that the Battery indicator was sitting bang on 12V when i normaly sits on 15V, i was plaing on going round the folks later and putting on charge anway. it had been raining so i decided that i will check the fuse box once again later when i had finished doing a few other things what iv got to do today.

I went to brothers after droping her off to pick up a few things, when i was sitting outside it started to rain ( more rain it threw it down) so i turned on the wipers and the dash board went mad!!!!! The ENGINE, ABS, SNOW, DOOR OPEN LIGHTS ALL STARTED TO FLASH!!!!!!!!!!! :crybaby: Oh god what has just happend? So i decided to go round to the folks earlier than i had planed to, lucky for me the old man was up. Put the car on there drive and took out the Battery to give it a full charge considering that i only gave it a boost charge the over day. My dad opened up the Battery and to check the acid, it was only a 1/4 full, he had some acid tables and de-ironed water on the shelve in the garage so we added that to mix and put it on charge.

Iv got to go back round later to check the fuse box after its been raining, god i pray and i hope. That it is just something like water in the fuse box and the Battery was low and needed a good charge? :unsure:

Has anyone got any good ideas?

I would hazard a guess that some of that heavy rain has found its way onto your fuse board in the drivers foot well.

I had virtually the same issue after I had put mine through a car wash, also the headlights came on whenever they wanted to.

I sprayed the whole board with a contact cleaner followed by compressed air and its been ok ever since.

Iam kind of hoping it is something as simple as that?

I heading back round to my folks in a hour or and iam going to remove the fuse holder and fusing clean all the contacts etc. Checking to see if there is any water getting into the there at all, with the amount of rain we have had in the last 6 hours here it shouldnt be to hard to find hopefully?

Well after a bit of a closer look, around the widesreen in the corner under the ruber bit there was'nt any sealant in there at all!!!! So i guess you guys were corect in saying the water is running in there and down the cables to the fuse box. For now i have sealed up the corner of the widescreen and now going to clean and dry out the fuse box! God iam glad that my folks have got a garage as it is ****** it down here today.

What have people done to reduce the chances of this happing again?

Iv read a few different threads on this now and a few people have sealed up the area were the cable come threw the blulk head?