Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Starting And Dealer Problems

I picked up my stunning IS220 in December last year and until now have been thoroughly impressed. But now and again I get trouble starting it. What happens is the engine turns over but it fails to start. Basically it just keeps trying and trying. The Battery must be good as 99% of the time it starts within one/two cycles of the engine. When it doesn’t start it does keep trying and trying so there must be some life in the Battery or otherwise it wouldn’t be able to do that.

Has anyone had any experience of this or have any ideas?

One reason I am unimpressed is the customer service. I bought the car from the Bristol dealership and I have to confess I was very impressed with the service – I couldn’t fault it. My local dealership in Norwich is unfortunately the opposite. I took the car back for some warranty work when I received a letter from Lexus saying they had identified some problems with the power steering. Whilst I was there I told the service department about the alloys which were bubbling / oxidizing which I didn’t expect as the car was only an 06. They duly noted this and said they had put some on order. I followed them up a month later when they informed me they were waiting for a replacement set to come in and they would replace mine.

What? Sounds like they are recycling them which you could understand from some manufacturers but not from Lexus. My brother has a Toyota Land Cruiser with the same problem – the Toyota dealer replaced his by the time he picked it up from them. The worst problem is that I STILL haven’t heard (in four months) from the Norwich dealership as to when mine will be replaced.

I am looking for the complaints department but I suspect this will be conveniently buried somewhere in the literature!!

So. if anyone knows anything about the starting issue or where I can contact the complaints department (probabily won't help anyway) it would be appreciated.

I don't think i'll be nuying another one...

I picked up my stunning IS220 in December last year and until now have been thoroughly impressed. But now and again I get trouble starting it. What happens is the engine turns over but it fails to start. Basically it just keeps trying and trying. The battery must be good as 99% of the time it starts within one/two cycles of the engine. When it doesn't start it does keep trying and trying so there must be some life in the battery or otherwise it wouldn't be able to do that.

Has anyone had any experience of this or have any ideas?

One reason I am unimpressed is the customer service. I bought the car from the Bristol dealership and I have to confess I was very impressed with the service – I couldn't fault it. My local dealership in Norwich is unfortunately the opposite. I took the car back for some warranty work when I received a letter from Lexus saying they had identified some problems with the power steering. Whilst I was there I told the service department about the alloys which were bubbling / oxidizing which I didn't expect as the car was only an 06. They duly noted this and said they had put some on order. I followed them up a month later when they informed me they were waiting for a replacement set to come in and they would replace mine.

What? Sounds like they are recycling them which you could understand from some manufacturers but not from Lexus. My brother has a Toyota Land Cruiser with the same problem – the Toyota dealer replaced his by the time he picked it up from them. The worst problem is that I STILL haven't heard (in four months) from the Norwich dealership as to when mine will be replaced.

I am looking for the complaints department but I suspect this will be conveniently buried somewhere in the literature!!

So. if anyone knows anything about the starting issue or where I can contact the complaints department (probabily won't help anyway) it would be appreciated.

I don't think i'll be nuying another one...

Have a look on the Lexus web site: www.lexus.co.uk - it gives an address for the Lexus Contact Centre -

and a number: 0845 129 5484.

You should have had, when buying the car, a fancy grey coloured ring back document holder, with details of The (Selling) Lexus Centre & other numbers. This gives the number for the Lexus Contact Centre as 0845 278 8888.

You need the Customer Service Dept. Don't hold you breath tho'. They ought to be called the Lexus Non-Service Dept. Many people have been dissatisfied with them.

I had issues with the '06 200d I bought in Dec '08 & wrote to them in May '09 when they wrote back to say they had referred it to the dealership, (where the problem was), and said they, (Lexus CS), would write back to me.

I'm still waiting for the letter!

Good Luck

Baffling Lexus starting problems seems to be quite an issue judging by forums. My Is200 greatly improved when I changed to Total fuel. The performance/economy also got better. Worth a try because you have to buy fuel anyway. Slightly dearer than usual but worth it. Could be the additives in it.

Best of Luck with Lexus.

Thanks for the help guys.

I suppose you get this level of service no matter which manufacturer as none of them seem to like admitting there are problems and rectifying them as it costs them.

Still, it has been a worth while experience owning one. I don't think there will be another one afterwards!!

Thanks

The shonky starting issue is common on earlier cars I'm LED to believe - mine was doing the same and had to be remapped which cured it. A whole heap of other problems then started but that's another story...

Lexus GB customer care is, in my opinion truely sh*te. As you'll have no doubt read in my "Still running Poorly" thread, my 57 IS220d is a complete pup. It's just been with the dealer for 2 weeks diagnostics and as the problem is intermittent and didn't occur, Lexus GB have washed their hands of the car and refuse any further help apart from replacing the turbo - warranty work now at almost £10k....

Rather than speak to whoever answers the phone at Lexus GB, ask to speak to Jill Want (Warranty Manager) on 01737 363634. 5k miles ago she agreed a free warranty extension for 12 months on mine so has some clout but recently she was very defensive about further issues with my car and they've now stated no further support will be given.

When I had the odd issue with my RX a few years back, Lexus Customer Services were spot on.

I posted my experience of claiming for FOC replacement of my corroding roof bars when, into the 4th year, they were heavily corroded. They were approachable, open to discussion and very helpful in getting things sorted.

Dealer was a bit...less than enthusiastic; but they finally find the right motivation ;)

Sorry to hear about Folks' problems with Lexus GB - I thought BMW were renowned for this type of service but they too have been fantastic - must be indicative of the times :(