Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Whats The Best Budget Tyre?

Hi all, right the crunch has come, i purchased a beautifull set of 17's for my lexus.

However they skint me of 600 quid! brand new of corse. i now need tyres and planned on getting a really nice costly set but the rims have now just been laying around in the garage as i havnt got like 400 quid to splash out on tyres.

i didnt really want to get cheap tyres but im not racing around and just want to get the rims on!

so, whats the best quality budget tyre i can buy?

any reviews on budget tyres or how have people got on with cheaper tyres?

:whistling:

Hi all, right the crunch has come, i purchased a beautifull set of 17's for my lexus.

However they skint me of 600 quid! brand new of corse. i now need tyres and planned on getting a really nice costly set but the rims have now just been laying around in the garage as i havnt got like 400 quid to splash out on tyres.

i didnt really want to get cheap tyres but im not racing around and just want to get the rims on!

so, whats the best quality budget tyre i can buy?

any reviews on budget tyres or how have people got on with cheaper tyres?

:whistling:

i recommend Falken 452 :) £87 each and they are pretty well regarded on this forum :)

id say kumhos!!!
What model did you get? I had ECSTA Supra 712 on my car when I got it & they're crap in the wet & dry. Although they're lots of fun if you want to do skids but no good if you want to drive fast & not fall off the road. I'm running Bridgestone Potenza RE001 now but they're only available in the Australasian market as far as I'm aware. They're a very good tyre. Asymmetric seems to be the way of the future.

You can get Toyo T1R pretty cheap from the likes of www.blackcircles.com OE size 215/45 R17 are only £68 each excluding fitting. The aforementioned Falken FK-452 are also very good.

If they're still to much I'd maybe look at Nexen & Hankook.

i always use to buy toyo t1r from black circles but few of my mates are running fedrel tyres on their 350bhp evos so i i got fedrel tyres and i have to say they are pretty much as good as toyo t1r and last longer and are £50.

i always use to buy toyo t1r from black circles but few of my mates are running fedrel tyres on their 350bhp evos so i i got fedrel tyres and i have to say they are pretty much as good as toyo t1r and last longer and are £50.

yep.. toyo's..i just put 4 on my wifes feesty. Good all round summer/winter tyre. Bit more than £50 for a Lexus though!

Col

I recently saw Bridgstones at £45 per tyre for the is200 on eBay from a company in wolverhampton, west midlands...outstanding value! Do a search for 215 45 17 and they should come up on eBay

]

I always like Toyo T1-R's.

Used them on my Paseos and loved them! Running the stock Bridgestones on the Lex and will be changing to the Toyo's when these need replacing!

I know your post said you just want to get the new alloys on the car, but it really is worth saving up for good tires. The only thing stopping your pride and joy sliding through someone's wall is 4 small patches of rubber. Make the most of the cars handling rather than settle for inferior tires just so you can get your new wheels on display.

Whatever you get, they must be the best you can get in the wet. An IS200 on a wet/greasy roundabout can be quite an experience especially if you haven't driven a RWD for long. Any saving you make on that inferior tyre could cost you a lot more in body damage etc.

What's the point of buying new/expensive alloys only to shed them with cheap Chinese tyres? As pointed out by someone else earlier fit the best tyres avaliable- Falken FK452's or Toyo T1R's if you are on a budget (<£100 per tyre) or go for Goodyear Eagle F1 assymetrics if you want a preimum tyre (>£100 per tyre).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/215-45-17-HANKOOK-K1...=item2c515bbd15

try these, 70 pounds delivered and very good tires

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/215-40-ZR-17-87W-XL-...=item19b5dfee4d

plus 10 pound p+p

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TORNADO-215-40-17-TY...=item19b7bc89e0

but for cheap and good try these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/215-40-17-NANKANG-NS...=item5d26e2e5a3'

i work in the tire shop at toyota so i get to see whats best and whats not

i dont use them my self but one of the guys at work has 20" on his audi and thinks there good

ive spotted NANKANG tyres on ebay what do people think to these ???

good quality etc??

They're generally very hard rubber so not much grip but will last for years.

As the others have said, your tyres are the only thing holding you on the road. Don't skimp on them.

good quality etc??

As the others have said, your tyres are the only thing holding you on the road. Don't skimp on them.

ok thanks mate, whats your view on the federals?

Agree with the right honourable gentleman...have 17" Hankook on mine and grip well and offer a smooth, quiet drive. Was a bit worried about the is200 having poor handling, but have been well impressed with mine. Would get them again, no question.

your better going for the hankook. i run 235/30/20 k107 and they are i my mind the best tire out there..... great in the rain, great grip and not bad price..... take the k110 or the k105. the new audi r8 runs on them as do fords so they are not that bad

good quality etc??

ok thanks mate, whats your view on the federals?

priced federals today £36 or £38 depending on tread patern. +vat of course dont know how this compares to your price but this is what i can get them for. I fit loads of them to allsorts of cars wouldnt really put them onthe back of my Lexus though as mentioned somewere on here hard wearing low grip hard rubber compound.

I'd recommend you not to save on tyres. Your car touches ground on 4 places the size of a postcard.

Tyres are expensive, but they are so important to your safety. It's not about "racing around" or so, it's about minimal stopping distances when you need them.

One "fear second" at 50km/h (ca. 30mph) equals roughly 15m/s, that's the length of 3 fullsize automobiles! When you crash, you'll probably lose more money than what you disinvested in tyres?

On the other hand, quality is also in durability. My Michelin Pilot Sports are the top. Never thought they could be so good. Other good brands I've driven are Good Year Eagle F1, Pirelli P7000 and PZero Nero, Continental SportContact2, etc. I never had a flat tyre, unlike people I know that drive Falken, Nokian, Sunny and other Korean and Chinese brands. They seem more prone to damage.

Last but not least: Hankook is a make that surprises. In recent tests, I saw they score absolutely top. These are the results of the Summer tyre test of the German Sport Auto:

Summert tyre test 2009

Continental SportContact3 = highly recommended

Pirelli P Zero = highly recommended

Hankook S1 Evo = highly recommended

Michelin Pilot Sport = highly recommended

Goodyear Eagle F1 = recommended

Dunlop Sport Maxx GT = recommended

Vredestein Ultrac Sessantra = recommended

Bridgestone RFT Potenza RE050 A = recommended

Toyo Proxes T1-R = conditionally recommended

Kumho Ecsta KU19 = conditionally recommended

(PS: the P Zero is not to be confused with other Pirelli types like P Zero Corsa, P Zero Nero or P Zero Rosso.)

out of that list i would go Hankook for price.... great tires, i have them and the girlfriend has them and all the bosses at work have them and only ever seen one come back with a fault in 2 years of working in a big tire shop in sweden...( toyota) so save a bit more money and get something better that budget

Must disagree with the goodyear eagle tyre being good. I have a mark 1 rs200 (1969) i have a goodyear eagle on the back on one side and a motorway home brand tyre on the other side. If the car is going to slide its always the goodyear that goes first. The car is set up properly and i have swapped the tyres side to side to confirm this. I am not saying the goodyear is bad just that its not as good at the motorway home brand tyre on the other side.

I think you problem is miss matched tyres rather than the Goodyear being at fault. I assume you're talking about the GSD3 F1 like we are. If you were to swap it from one side to the other it wouldn't work as they're directional tyres. Put two tyres on, preferably the same model, at least the same tread pattern & try again.