Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Road Noise

rowdy

Hello I am new to the Lexus Owners Club but heres my beef. I recently purchased a 3 year old IS250SE and a very good car it is too, however I have a question. What about the road noise are there any other owners out there who find it excessive. The car is running on its original Dunlops are these the cause, are there quieter tyres I could put on? does it help if you reduce the tyre pressures if so what pressures? I had a Merc "C" class before this car and although it wasnt that quite the road noise was not obtrusive. It does seem a shame that such a well built car with no other rattles should be blighted by this fault. Why did Lexus not design it out. I look forward to your comments.

Hello I am new to the Lexus Owners Club but heres my beef. I recently purchased a 3 year old IS250SE and a very good car it is too, however I have a question. What about the road noise are there any other owners out there who find it excessive. The car is running on its original Dunlops are these the cause, are there quieter tyres I could put on? does it help if you reduce the tyre pressures if so what pressures? I had a Merc "C" class before this car and although it wasnt that quite the road noise was not obtrusive. It does seem a shame that such a well built car with no other rattles should be blighted by this fault. Why did Lexus not design it out. I look forward to your comments.

Cannot comment on the OEM Dunlops, but my SE-L on its original Bridgestones suffered from excessive road noise. When I changed to Toyo T1-R's it was a lot quieter. I'm running 38 psi all round, but also running on wider wheels/harder springs and lower profile tyres, and the tyre noise is still quieter than the OEM Bridgestones.

One of the problems with the second generation IS (if you can call it a problem) is that it's a very quiet cabin so any intruding noise seems to be magnified. My digital pressure tyre gauge in the glovebox is wrapped in a MF cloth, as is my ice scraper in the door storage for that reason, and both front door shuts have been wrapped in insulation tape because I could hear the locking mechanism rattling :D .

I've got the decibel meter ap on my Iphone so I'll check the ambient noise level in the cabin. Anyone else care to check for comparisons?

Cannot comment on the OEM Dunlops, but my SE-L on its original Bridgestones suffered from excessive road noise. When I changed to Toyo T1-R's it was a lot quieter. I'm running 38 psi all round, but also running on wider wheels/harder springs and lower profile tyres, and the tyre noise is still quieter than the OEM Bridgestones.

One of the problems with the second generation IS (if you can call it a problem) is that it's a very quiet cabin so any intruding noise seems to be magnified. My digital pressure tyre gauge in the glovebox is wrapped in a MF cloth, as is my ice scraper in the door storage for that reason, and both front door shuts have been wrapped in insulation tape because I could hear the locking mechanism rattling :D .

I've got the decibel meter ap on my Iphone so I'll check the ambient noise level in the cabin. Anyone else care to check for comparisons?

Thanks very much for that Im glad Im not the only one. Up for a tyre change soon and will consider Toyo