Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Here, Looking For Advice

trizzo

Hi everyone!

I have a few questions for you... but first, i'd like to introduce myself:

I'm Tristan and originaly come from the UK, but i've spent the last 8 years living in Zurich, Switzerland.

I drive a silver (nicest colour in my opinion :winky: ) '99 Is200 with no modifications except LED taillights and a custom silencer

that the previous owner installed. 6 M/T of course B).

Now, I spent a LOT of time choosing it, scince it was my first car and money doesnt come easy

when you are my age (19). I looked hi and low and test drove everything from A4s to 320s and so on.. but what really got me hooked on the Is when I first drove it was the feel of the thing, the 90s japanese interior styling and the loveerrrly gear shift, and basically the fact that it was something different from the standard golf gti or almost identical 320i as these are WAAAAAY too common over here, and plus, well look at 'em :sick:

Sure, the low end tourque is like a never ending turbo lag, but once you get up through the clouds and into the sunny side of the rpm range, this thing comes alive. Plus, in the corners, it is so responsive and controllable you could drive it with your little finger. One time i left my friend for dust going up a windy road near where i live, and he was driving a new 9-3 Turbo with chip tuning and 100hp advantage, which goes to show you what the Is200 is really made for!

Anyway, i have proven my love for this car enough, down to business!

I have been looking to improve the performance somewhat and after some early reasearch have looked at the TTE supercharger

now there are 2 problems with this: 1. RARE as hell and 2. To install something like this (legally, of course ^_^) you pay about chf 5'000.-

for the people at the MOT center to "test" the compatability and safety (yes, the supercharger was designed specifically for the car, yes, the company itsself who designed it for TTE is swiss, yes, the IS can handel that much power easy since it was designed around the higher powered variants) but the swiss being the swiss, they wont accept any of it, so i have abandoned that route and am looking for some "invisible" tuning that will not get not noticed at the MOT

i.e NA tuning.

At the moment, I am looking to upgrade the valvetrain and am looking for a piggyback ECU to allow for a remap after air filter / exhaust is done and which will also control the vvti like a camcon. I have searched and searched and the only things i can find is the camcon itsself (is this compatible with another piggyback system), the Greddy emanage ultimate with v manage, which seemes just a little bit OTT. Basically, I want to be able to fully controll the A/f and timing, plus the vvti from one unit, or if cheaper, two.

Also, are there any street cams available for the Is200? , I have also seen a large valve kit on eBay, but am doubtfull if a larger diameter valve alone will increase air flow without altering the valve seats (of course, this is just my theory from logical thinking, but i am certainly no mechanic:)

any other ideas for NA mods except the usual (exhaust like an oil pipeline, air filter, $49.99 "electric supercharger kit" from eBay, etc.)

Thanks for your help B) :D

p.s i know i write alot, but i got alot to say :)

not being funny but that whole lot will cost you poss 000's and will give you well not a lot of power ,hardly any in fact you might not even notice the increase.

also their is a member on here from your neck of the woods and he has fitted a charger and got it through the mot with not a lot of fuss.

not being funny but that whole lot will cost you poss 000's and will give you well not a lot of power ,hardly any in fact you might not even notice the increase.

also their is a member on here from your neck of the woods and he has fitted a charger and got it through the mot with not a lot of fuss.

Do you know his name? thanks

Do you know his name? thanks

His user neame on here is Rob so search for posts by him and drop him a pm. You better be quick though since his personal profile says he is 101 years old