Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking To Purchase Ls400 Mk4, Sat Nav Info Needed

Greetings to all Lexus LS400 owners,

I was astonished by the refinement, quietness and tranquility of a short ride in a friend of a friend's Mk4 Lexus LS400 recently. I believe it was on an S plate, so possibly a 1998 car.

As a result, I am 95% certain of purchasing the very same model. I have been told (by a number of different sources) that similar aged Mercs, Beemers or Audis do not get remotely close to the Lexus in terms of refinement, build quality and hushed silence.

This will not be an 'impulse' purchase. I think this vehicle would represent an ideal mile muncher across Europe, to ferry my missus and her gear in a stress-free and peaceful manner.

My questions are Sat Nav related:

can the Sat Nav software be updated, as I could not enter a postcode, which I found frustrating?

Secondly, is European coverage available (I spend most of my time in Austria)?

Kind regards and look forward to hearing from yourselves, the experts.

Hi Dr.,

The Mk4 LS400 is a great car.

can the Sat Nav software be updated, as I could not enter a postcode, which I found frustrating?

You can update the mapping, but unfortunately there's no postcode feature.

Secondly, is European coverage available (I spend most of my time in Austria)?

Yes, you can get maps for most European countries. In fact if you phone Lexus because you're going on a short trip they'll lend you the correct disk for free, on the understanding that you post it back recorded delivery when you've finished.

Jon

You can update the mapping, but unfortunately there's no postcode feature.

Jon

Thank you Jon for your considered response,

how and where do I perform mapping update? Does this involve purchasing of CDs or DVDs?

What compatibility issues do I need to consider?

Would for example a CD/ DVD used in a very recent (say 2007 or 2008 car) Lexus car be functional in a 1998/1999 LS400?

DrYazz

welcome to the club mate, sorry i cant help u regarding the sat nav system. but the ls400 is the car to have.

secondly can we see some pics of ure ferrari?

Good morning,

I have downloaded one picture into the album.

Or alternatively, please provide an email address and I can forward some pictures of Italian exotica to you.

As soon as I buy an LS400, I will share those pics with the forum.

DrYazz

Hi,

how and where do I perform mapping update? Does this involve purchasing of CDs or DVDs?

What compatibility issues do I need to consider?

Would for example a CD/ DVD used in a very recent (say 2007 or 2008 car) Lexus car be functional in a 1998/1999 LS400?

It's a CD-ROM based system in the Mk4. You can new disks from the Lexus dealers (quite expensive - £120 or something?), or you can find them on eBay. I'm philosophically opposed to software piracy so I bought one on eBay that was described as a Lexus original, for something like £50. When it arrived it was just a copy on a blank CD, with a crude Lexus sticker on it.

It still works though.

Jon

I was astonished by the refinement, quietness and tranquility of a short ride in a friend of a friend's Mk4 Lexus LS400 recently. I believe it was on an S plate, so possibly a 1998 car.

As a result, I am 95% certain of purchasing the very same model. I have been told (by a number of different sources) that similar aged Mercs, Beemers or Audis do not get remotely close to the Lexus in terms of refinement, build quality and hushed silence.

Welcome to the LOC Dr,

The LS 400 is the godfather of them all. Get a clean example and you won't be disappointed.

Apart from handling, The Germans are no match for this sophisticated machine.

• 2 weeks later...

The only way is up Dr yazz,

sorry its an old song......

but the Lexus would be a perfect buy for those European trips.

I'd go with what the other lad said and phone Lexus, see if they will short term let it to you, and just copy it on your PC, or get your kids to do it..they always know with computers.

If its used regularly, then maybe just buy it instead, but copy it anyway as cd's always get scratched in the car because no-one puts them back properly or rams the sunglasses in with it etc...