Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Now I Have The 430... Ride Quality Issue

Picked up the new (to me) 430 yesterday from Lexus Stockport. Drove 140 faultless miles up there in old Mk 1 LS400 and left her there in P/x :sad:. Enjoyed the drive back though. Brand new condition at 24K as expected. The newer model feels much more powerful and responsive and handling is a thousand times better. Not sure how long I'll keep my licence unless I keep a very light right foot! Stereo is awesome (though sat nav will take some getting used to - not as clear as our after market Becker). Seats are soooooo comfortable. Wife loves it. Now in St Albans, Herts - give us a beep if you see T10 ALN.

Having said all that, the ride quality of the 430 is not as good as the 400. Doesn't have that "magic carpet" smoothness. Seems "jiggly". I don't think its bad enough that it's likely to be a suspension fault, so I suspect it may be because of the low profile tyres that are standard on the 2004 model (I bought on the basis of an earlier long test drive of a 2002, and a short drive of this car just to check). Wife has an IS220d with similar tyres and I recognise similarity in the ride quality. Does anyone know - are the tyres the most likely culprits? If so, is it possible to change to regular tyres and get a better ride? Would there be any disadvantages to doing this - apart from the pennies...?

Thanks in advance.

What size tyres are on your car and what were on the 2002 model which you drove? Might be worth getting it checked by your local Lexus dealer to ensure that nothing is amiss though as I assume it is used approved.

If you change to "regular" tyres you would need to change rims too I would think.

What size tyres are on your car and what were on the 2002 model which you drove? Might be worth getting it checked by your local Lexus dealer to ensure that nothing is amiss though as I assume it is used approved.

If you change to "regular" tyres you would need to change rims too I would think.

Thanks. Yes, it's "used approved" so I've no reason to think anything is actually wrong with it. I drove it again yesterday and it is partly about getting used to the difference - but it doesn't smooth the ride out in the same way as an eighteen year old mk1 LS400 - which doesn't seem quite right. The wheels are 18" and the tyres low profile. I will pick it up with the dealer on his follow up courtesy call. But in the meantime I'd be interested in any more views from here - from anyone who's made a similar transition - or who knows about wheels/tyres and the influence they can have. Also, does anyone know if I would need to change the rims as well, or whether i can use the regular alloys (5 wide spoke ones that all the later 430s have) with normal gauge tyres?

I know what you mean about Bloody Low Profiles....I hate the bleedin things...biggest load of bollox ever sold to us as motorists...we havent the smooth roads...

and now ...thanks to BigBrother...we cant use the speed to make them work either...I have looked at changing up ?...to a 430 but dont like the look of the tyres...

I refuse to give up my Magic Carpet ride for anything. :shutit: Good Luck.

Hi andynorman, glad you are enjoying your new Lex.

I previously had a 1999 DHP 400 and now have one of the early 430s. I like it very much, but I have to agree with you about the ride. Indeed, spookily, "jiggly" was my word for it too. It's the one thing I miss from the 400; that didn't ride out things like speed bumps too well, although I think the suspension bushes were worn, but on the road it just seemed to travel, well, flat! It was so smooth, and the 430 isn't, in the same way.

It's still great, really, just not as great, it seems to me. Anyone else agree?

Chris

Hi andynorman, glad you are enjoying your new Lex.

I previously had a 1999 DHP 400 and now have one of the early 430s. I like it very much, but I have to agree with you about the ride. Indeed, spookily, "jiggly" was my word for it too. It's the one thing I miss from the 400; that didn't ride out things like speed bumps too well, although I think the suspension bushes were worn, but on the road it just seemed to travel, well, flat! It was so smooth, and the 430 isn't, in the same way.

It's still great, really, just not as great, it seems to me. Anyone else agree?

Chris

Thanks Chris. Does yours have low profile tyres too? If not, then maybe its the suspension design rather than the tyres. Goes round corners nicely though.

My tyres are the standard ones for that age and model, which I think are 225/55 R17 (I can check that this evening). Every time they need replacing I scour the websites for new ideas, but always end up going back to Dunlop SP270's.

I'm not too sure, is that size low profile?

Chris

My tyres are the standard ones for that age and model, which I think are 225/55 R17 (I can check that this evening). Every time they need replacing I scour the websites for new ideas, but always end up going back to Dunlop SP270's.

I'm not too sure, is that size low profile?

Chris

Hi Chris thats standard profile for the 17'' equates to 225/60/16 as on the mark4 & gives the same rolling radius. Would be what im looking for ideally, but not overfussed as I have a second set of 16s for winter tyres & my long trips to south Germany. ta Mark

I think 55 is the standard profile on the 430 and it's OK for ride on mine. Certainly in comparison with the GS300 I had and the amazingly hard GS450H I tried. But not as magic carpet as an old Jag I had 20 years ago. They've put Toyo tyres on the front of mine and Continentals on the back

Mike

I think 55 is the standard profile on the 430 and it's OK for ride on mine. Certainly in comparison with the GS300 I had and the amazingly hard GS450H I tried. But not as magic carpet as an old Jag I had 20 years ago. They've put Toyo tyres on the front of mine and Continentals on the back

Mike

Mine (2004) has Bridgestone Trianza 245/45 R18. I believe the 18" wheeles were made standard from end 2003 onwards (although they were only an option in the US). I am kind of getting used to the ride, having spent the weekend out and about as much as possible. Certainly no complaints from passengers. Looking at the net it looks as though the lower profile may contribute to the improved handling. I suspect the ride on the old 400 and the jag would have been similar.

Hi Andy I have a set of mark 4 ls400 wheels refurbed & powder coated 225/60/16 that I am thinking of changing for a different set of wheels if yours fit mine & mine fit yours maybe we could do a deal.

Thanks Mark. Worth thinking about. Do you have any idea whether a 60/16 would give the same total radius as a 45/18?

Hi Andy I have a set of mark 4 ls400 wheels refurbed & powder coated 225/60/16 that I am thinking of changing for a different set of wheels if yours fit mine & mine fit yours maybe we could do a deal.

Thanks Mark. Worth thinking about. Do you have any idea whether a 60/16 would give the same total radius as a 45/18?

Hi Andy its the closest you can get,if you want to meet & have a look to see if they fit both ways pm me thanks Mark

Hi to all; I've had a 1998 'R' plate LS400 for 2-3 months an love it but know virtualy nothing about technicalities (is that the right word!?). I must admit I'm confused by the exchange of tyre information - my car has Pirelli Asimmetrico 245 50 ZR17 99Y all round. This size tyre hasn't ben mentioned. Have I got the wrong tyres on? They're certainly very big tyres - when I need to replace can I put something smaller on and hopefully costing less? Any and all advice much appreciated.

Also, my car cost about £4,400, from memory - I'd like to keep it (99K miles now) and am thinking about lpg conversion costing about £2K. I thought, given the potential logevity of the the car it'd be worth doing and I'd get my money back after about 2 years @ 8K mile/year. However, a friend suggsted that converssion would spoil the car and my figures on pay-back weren't that solid. What do you think?

I really enjoy reading the club comments ,advice and exchange of information - thankyou to all of you.

Hi to all; I've had a 1998 'R' plate LS400 for 2-3 months an love it but know virtualy nothing about technicalities (is that the right word!?). I must admit I'm confused by the exchange of tyre information - my car has Pirelli Asimmetrico 245 50 ZR17 99Y all round. This size tyre hasn't ben mentioned. Have I got the wrong tyres on? They're certainly very big tyres - when I need to replace can I put something smaller on and hopefully costing less? Any and all advice much appreciated.

Also, my car cost about £3,400, from memory - I'd like to keep it (99K miles now) and am thinking about lpg conversion costing about £2K. I thought, given the potential logevity of the the car it'd be worth doing and I'd get my money back after about 2 years @ 8K mile/year. However, a friend suggsted that converssion would spoil the car and my figures on pay-back weren't that solid. What do you think?

I really enjoy reading the club comments ,advice and exchange of information - thankyou to all of you.

Also, my car cost about £4,400, from memory - I'd like to keep it (99K miles now) and am thinking about lpg conversion costing about £2K. I thought, given the potential logevity of the the car it'd be worth doing and I'd get my money back after about 2 years @ 8K mile/year. However, a friend suggsted that converssion would spoil the car and my figures on pay-back weren't that solid. What do you think?

Hi you probably have the dhp ( dynamic handling pack wheels fitted) so the tyres are correct. as for the lpg conversion a brc plug & drive multipoint kit works really well ( works perfect on mine anyway) well worth doing if your planning on keeping it.

Hi you probably have the dhp ( dynamic handling pack wheels fitted) so the tyres are correct. as for the lpg conversion a brc plug & drive multipoint kit works really well ( works perfect on mine anyway) well worth doing if your planning on keeping it.

Lexusdriver,

Have you checked prices for your tyre size? I checked via google and found them for around £180.00 each, on average. Not many manufacturer's make 245/50/ZR17s though unless others with the DHP pack on this forum can advise you where to get the best prices from.

Cheers.

Lexusdriver,

Have you checked prices for your tyre size? I checked via google and found them for around £180.00 each, on average. Not many manufacturer's make 245/50/ZR17s though unless others with the DHP pack on this forum can advise you where to get the best prices from.

Cheers.

I have the DHP on my 2000 MK IV with the 245 tyres. When it came to replacing the tyres I was stunned at how expensive they were but by going down a size to 235 they were £50 cheaper each! :o

I haven't noticed any difference in handling, the grip from the Pirellis is fantastic.

I got my tyres from Central but they didn't do a very good job of balancing the wheels so I took it somewhere else for that.

Hope this helps.

Redsteve.

Quick Update - had some fun with the tyre monitor showing uneven inflation. I think the dealer had pumped the tyres up to high pressure (36 psi rears - good for full load or >132mph! ) and the inflation was quite uneven between front and back and between two front tyres. I've now balanced it to more reasonable settings and it's made a surprisingly significant improvement to the ride. Still not "magic carpet" but much closer to what I'd expected. So, if you're thinking of changing a 400 for a 430 its well worth paying attention to ride quality, but now, to my mind, the handling improvements (incomparable) are worth the trade off. Phew!

Andy

Hi andy , so what pressure are you running now? Was thinking of changing my 17"s for 18"s for the looks but do not want to loose the ride comfort. Do you find it acceptable now?

33psi front and rear (which is the specified pressure for four passengers, under 130mph). It is acceptable - probably better than most cars - but I still miss the smoothness on the motorway than I had with the 400. The handling though is much, much better.