Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all,

I am looking to get a Lexus IS250 and I would like to do my research first. So here we go:

1. Are there any known problems with the car (i.e IS200 - ball joints etc)

2. Manual or automatic gearbox? I would like to get a manual but depends

3. Is it cheap to run? by comarison with IS200 is it better or worse?

4. Sport or prestige version

5. If I buy second hand, what should I look for in terms of possible faults

6. Is there enough power to put a smile on my face (well that's just silly to ask considering that you don't know the amount of power that would make me smile).

7. Is it easy to modify? Any basic modifications?

8. Doesit fell big and heavy or light and agile

9. Would you consider it a high maintainance car?

Grateful if I could get an answer from all Lexus Is250 owners.

You have posted this on the UK site not the OZ one ;) Is that what you intended?

Yeah mate, the LOC OZ one is almost dead..if I post a question I might get an answer in a year, where is here I get something in couple of days.

You have posted this on the UK site not the OZ one ;) Is that what you intended?

Yeah mate, the LOC OZ one is almost dead..if I post a question I might get an answer in a year, where is here I get something in couple of days.

or couple of weeks or months

Not sure where all the IS250 owners are, but don't think there have been many problems with the IS250 except the dreaded rattle that many mention. There was something about an engine recall, not sure if that applied to all cars but worth looking into anyway.

Otherwise most definitely go for the auto, it is brilliant whereas the manual isn't great. But drive both to see which you prefer.

In terms of fuel it's definitely cheaper than the IS200, my auto gives me around 20-21 mpg most of the time, the same driving produced around 26-27mpg out of the IS250 auto. I would think servicing is probably quite similar.

We don't have a "prestige" version, but if it's the same as our SE-L and the Sport is the same as our Sport, then I'd always go for the SE-L as I prefer the leather seats. Other than that though they're pretty close, so if you don't want leather, or don't mind doing a retrim, the Sport might be the right choice for you.

As above, I think the main thing to look out for is rattles.

I personally don't think there is enough power, yes it's quite a bit faster than my IS200 but not quite enough of an improvement, which is why despite coming close several times, I never made the switch to the IS250.

I'm assuming you're referring to engine mods? Not sure of anyone that's actually done any over here, might be a question for the US forums as they seem to do it a lot more.

If you haven't driven one yet, I suggest doing so - it's an odd feeling as I think it handles slightly better than the IS200 but doesn't have the same feel. The steering is much lighter and doesn't give you as much feedback but otherwise it's decent.

No I wouldn't consider it a high maintenance car - in fact probably the opposite, if you wanted high maintenance the BMW 3 series is probably your best bet.

Hope that helps to get you started, I don't own one though so this is just what I've picked up off the forums and from the 4 or 5 IS250 courtesy cars I've had over the years.

or couple of weeks or months

Dammit, I just spent 20 minutes replying to your post and my internet connection dropped out so I lost it all. Will try and repeat when I have time. Sorry!

Hi all,

I am looking to get a Lexus IS250 and I would like to do my research first. So here we go:

6. Is there enough power to put a smile on my face (well that's just silly to ask considering that you don't know the amount of power that would make me smile).

Had my 250 Auto SEL for 6 weeks and so far not missed a beat. No regrets.

Answers

1. Very few, compared to the 220d, if reports on the forum are anything to go by.

2. Must be the auto imo, but try both.

3. Have not had an IS 200.

4. Prestige ( SEL)

5. If you can afford to buy new as 2009 model reports are looking good.

6 For me there is, allied to a look of contentment.

7. Don't know.

8. Solid and agile.

9. Only had it 6 weeks but info from the forum says no as it rarely has any problems.

Right, I'll try again, for what it's worth.

• I've had my SE-L 250 from new in late 2005 and have had no problems whatsoever except for a number of formal recalls on TSIB's (Technical Service Information Bulletins) from Lexus (front seat belt recoilers, steering rack, fuel hp delivery line and rear caliper replacement), although I hasten to add all were preventative measures except for the rear caliper issue which had caused the pistons to seize on both my rear calipers.
  • Some cars have suffered from various interior trim rattles, and although Lexus have a fix for all of them, my car hasn't suffered from the problem.
  • Some cars, including mine, have had a rattle which appears to be from the central pillar seatbelt attachment area. The source of the (slight) rattle is not the belt, but the door catch, and the fix is to put a few winds of tape (I used electrical insulation tape) around the static door catch bar.
  • Some cars have suffered from a rattle on cold start-up and Lexus have a TSIB to rebuild the top end of the engine if this occurs. Again, my car hasn't had the problem.
  • Regarding ball joints etc. my car has had its geometry monitored from new by WIM and has required NO corrective adjustments over 41K miles. This seems to indicate there are no adverse suspension wear issues and a very stable chassis.

• Auto without a doubt. It's a superb box and believe it or not the auto is more economic in mpg terms than the manual. Also has the flappy paddles and stick sport mode if you want to play in manual.

• I still have my IS200 Sport and believe me the 250 is cheaper to run.

• I wanted a Sport but also wanted leather etc. so modified my SE-L to a "Sport +" (see my car in the Registry).

• All the items in 1. depending on the age of the car, ensure the recalls have been actioned and ask if any additional TSIB work has been done.
  • The paint is a bit "soft" so expect some road rash on any car with a few miles on it.

• It's not a rocket, but no slouch either. Quicker than the IS200 and on a par with the IS300 if my experience is anything to go by. If you want the same car but a lot quicker, import the IS350 from Japan or buy an IS-F.

• Available engine mods are confined to intake and exhaust systems so far. The ECU is alleged to be bullet proof so no re-chipping available as yet.
  • Loads of non OEM body kits and the OEM 'ground effects' body kit is easy to fit.
  • Alternative brake kits, grills, chassis stiffeners (doesn't need them), intakes, air filters and exhaust systems are all available. Lexus also market their 'F-Sport' range of intake, exhaust, wheels and suspension mods.
  • Lots of non OEM wheel options.

• It feels bigger than the 200 because it is albeit not a lot and the seating position is lower.
  • It doesn't handle 'heavy', is more stable and has better roadholding than the IS200.

• In comparison to what? Generally I would say no it is not compared to most others in similar class.

Right, I'll try again, for what it's worth.

• I've had my SE-L 250 from new in late 2005 and have had no problems whatsoever except for a number of formal recalls on TSIB's (Technical Service Information Bulletins) from Lexus (front seat belt recoilers, steering rack, fuel hp delivery line and rear caliper replacement), although I hasten to add all were preventative measures except for the rear caliper issue which had caused the pistons to seize on both my rear calipers.
  • Some cars have suffered from various interior trim rattles, and although Lexus have a fix for all of them, my car hasn't suffered from the problem.
  • Some cars, including mine, have had a rattle which appears to be from the central pillar seatbelt attachment area. The source of the (slight) rattle is not the belt, but the door catch, and the fix is to put a few winds of tape (I used electrical insulation tape) around the static door catch bar.
  • Some cars have suffered from a rattle on cold start-up and Lexus have a TSIB to rebuild the top end of the engine if this occurs. Again, my car hasn't had the problem.
  • Regarding ball joints etc. my car has had its geometry monitored from new by WIM and has required NO corrective adjustments over 41K miles. This seems to indicate there are no adverse suspension wear issues and a very stable chassis.

• Auto without a doubt. It's a superb box and believe it or not the auto is more economic in mpg terms than the manual. Also has the flappy paddles and stick sport mode if you want to play in manual.

• I still have my IS200 Sport and believe me the 250 is cheaper to run.

• I wanted a Sport but also wanted leather etc. so modified my SE-L to a "Sport +" (see my car in the Registry).

• All the items in 1. depending on the age of the car, ensure the recalls have been actioned and ask if any additional TSIB work has been done.
  • The paint is a bit "soft" so expect some road rash on any car with a few miles on it.

• It's not a rocket, but no slouch either. Quicker than the IS200 and on a par with the IS300 if my experience is anything to go by. If you want the same car but a lot quicker, import the IS350 from Japan or buy an IS-F.

• Available engine mods are confined to intake and exhaust systems so far. The ECU is alleged to be bullet proof so no re-chipping available as yet.
  • Loads of non OEM body kits and the OEM 'ground effects' body kit is easy to fit.
  • Alternative brake kits, grills, chassis stiffeners (doesn't need them), intakes, air filters and exhaust systems are all available. Lexus also market their 'F-Sport' range of intake, exhaust, wheels and suspension mods.
  • Lots of non OEM wheel options.

• It feels bigger than the 200 because it is albeit not a lot and the seating position is lower.
  • It doesn't handle 'heavy', is more stable and has better roadholding than the IS200.

• In comparison to what? Generally I would say no it is not compared to most others in similar class.

Thanks a lot guys. I will lok into it slightly more serious. I am making a comparison with the 3 series (2005 onwards) and I am still undecided. I love the IS200 but I think is time to let her go.

If you would choose between IS250 or 320i, 323I (coupe or sedan) which one of these two would you get?

If you would choose between IS250 or 320i, 323I (coupe or sedan) which one of these two would you get?

For me the only downside is the power, so if you are comparing BMWs with similar power I'd pick the Lexus every time. Haven't driven the latest 3, but I'm sure it's a sharper drive. But otherwise the interior is horrible in comparison and the saloon doesn't look great (the coupe on the other hand is gorgeous).

We're biased on here but I'm sure most started with an open mind and were persuaded to go for the Lexus after driving it alongside other makes. For a start, against any three series the Lexus feels a cut above in terms of refinement and luxury, it's an altogether different animal. BMW 3's are very good cars but to get an acceptable interior you have to spend a lot of money, how they could design a car which looks so bland is beyond me, they tried harder with the coupe and succeeded, how nice would a four door coupe be, only drawback with two doors is getting in and out, once you are in though there is plenty of room in the back, more in fact than in the IS. Have lengthy test drives, like a minimum of a day in all on your short list and see which takes your fancy.

We're biased on here but I'm sure most started with an open mind and were persuaded to go for the Lexus after driving it alongside other makes. For a start, against any three series the Lexus feels a cut above in terms of refinement and luxury, it's an altogether different animal. BMW 3's are very good cars but to get an acceptable interior you have to spend a lot of money, how they could design a car which looks so bland is beyond me, they tried harder with the coupe and succeeded, how nice would a four door coupe be, only drawback with two doors is getting in and out, once you are in though there is plenty of room in the back, more in fact than in the IS. Have lengthy test drives, like a minimum of a day in all on your short list and see which takes your fancy.

The coupe I have to agree is really nice. Altough there is a bit of extra money involved I still think it looks better than all 3 series coupes. I haven't driven one but I think it's quite nice to drive. The look of it on the road is very scary and menacing which I really like.

I will have to think about reliability and cost involved in maintaining it as well so I think there could be different cars out there that would fancy me. On the other hand I wouldn't be stupid enough to buy an IS-F. I've been in one of those but for that money I could get the latest GTR for God's sake and get the extreme machine. Too bad I can't afford it ..yet.

IS250 looks nice and I assume that it has a lot of things that would make me happy but still ..I am doing my research.

Also, I think it could be quite silly to ask :whice one is better as most of us here will be biased but I could be wrong.

Few days ago I've been in a Cobra 427 replica V8 with all the little goodies in it ..man what a ride. It feels like you can trow that car around the corners like crazy. Very nice car and very nice sound. Wouldn't mind one of those but I think my wife will kill me while I sleep with burning oil.

Thanks for your adivces and keep them coming.

On the other hand I wouldn't be stupid enough to buy an IS-F. I've been in one of those but for that money I could get the latest GTR for God's sake and get the extreme machine. Too bad I can't afford it ..yet.

The IS-F would be cheaper to run though, I doubt it would cost considerably more than the IS250............the GT-R on the other hand sounds like a right pain, very highly strung, and very expensive to repair. Also read something recently about how it has one of those pop up bonnets to be softer on passengers, someone had this fire in a very minor impact, just some small damage to the bumper but because this system fired the repair cost was £11k!

Over here the IS-F loses a lot of its value in the first year, so a 1 yr old IS-F is quite a good buy. But on looks alone the 3 coupe is my favourite, a 335i coupe would have all bases covered imho :)

On the other hand I wouldn't be stupid enough to buy an IS-F. I've been in one of those but for that money I could get the latest GTR for God's sake and get the extreme machine. Too bad I can't afford it ..yet.

The IS-F would be cheaper to run though, I doubt it would cost considerably more than the IS250............the GT-R on the other hand sounds like a right pain, very highly strung, and very expensive to repair. Also read something recently about how it has one of those pop up bonnets to be softer on passengers, someone had this fire in a very minor impact, just some small damage to the bumper but because this system fired the repair cost was £11k!

Over here the IS-F loses a lot of its value in the first year, so a 1 yr old IS-F is quite a good buy. But on looks alone the 3 coupe is my favourite, a 335i coupe would have all bases covered imho :)

Well, me too thinks that BMW coupe looks really nice but still undecided. I don't think I will go as far as ISF as I think is a bit overpriced but so BMW's. We'll see.

Not sure where all the IS250 owners are, but don't think there have been many problems with the IS250 except the dreaded rattle that many mention. There was something about an engine recall, not sure if that applied to all cars but worth looking into anyway.

Otherwise most definitely go for the auto, it is brilliant whereas the manual isn't great. But drive both to see which you prefer.

In terms of fuel it's definitely cheaper than the IS200, my auto gives me around 20-21 mpg most of the time, the same driving produced around 26-27mpg out of the IS250 auto. I would think servicing is probably quite similar.

We don't have a "prestige" version, but if it's the same as our SE-L and the Sport is the same as our Sport, then I'd always go for the SE-L as I prefer the leather seats. Other than that though they're pretty close, so if you don't want leather, or don't mind doing a retrim, the Sport might be the right choice for you.

As above, I think the main thing to look out for is rattles.

I personally don't think there is enough power, yes it's quite a bit faster than my IS200 but not quite enough of an improvement, which is why despite coming close several times, I never made the switch to the IS250.

I'm assuming you're referring to engine mods? Not sure of anyone that's actually done any over here, might be a question for the US forums as they seem to do it a lot more.

If you haven't driven one yet, I suggest doing so - it's an odd feeling as I think it handles slightly better than the IS200 but doesn't have the same feel. The steering is much lighter and doesn't give you as much feedback but otherwise it's decent.

No I wouldn't consider it a high maintenance car - in fact probably the opposite, if you wanted high maintenance the BMW 3 series is probably your best bet.

Hope that helps to get you started, I don't own one though so this is just what I've picked up off the forums and from the 4 or 5 IS250 courtesy cars I've had over the years.

dont know about you thoughts on BMW high maintenance

had the 320d auto sport from new some 2 years and have covered 36k and total service costs to date is some £395 - had the IS250 auto se-l for 3 years with 35k on the clock and between it must have cost me some £1000 plus

having said that I always grab the IS keys if I get the chance .

dont know about you thoughts on BMW high maintenance

had the 320d auto sport from new some 2 years and have covered 36k and total service costs to date is some £395 - had the IS250 auto se-l for 3 years with 35k on the clock and between it must have cost me some £1000 plus

having said that I always grab the IS keys if I get the chance .

That's good to know, I've based that on my brother's Z4 that's been a nightmare from day one, and stuff I've read on the net, especially about the 320d that's had quite a few occurrences of major engine problems (not dissimilar to the IS220d)

Reliability has always put me off buying a BMW, but if that's changing they'll be back in :)

Interested to hear why you always for the IS keys though, isn't the BMW better to drive? Or is it not the car, and more just the diesel engine?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links