Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

If I start the engine then get out of the car to clear the windows, when I get round the back of the car there's quite a smell of unburnt fuel. Is this something to worry about?

Mike

Hi if its on choke you will probably smell a bit of unburnt fuel. ta Mark

Its quite normal for the ls to emmit a rich smell on cold start up Its basicly a rich mixture to ensure smooth idle and quick warm up.

Hope this helps

both of mine have done it, the colder the morning the worse the smell, so just assume it is the choke

ps what bike you got ?

Just got a Triumph Rocket 3 (because I saved so much on what I was planning to spend on a GS450H). Really interesting getting into cruising (in the motorcycling sense I hasten to add). Have you got a bike Andy?

Mike

I think it only happens from a cold start so the rich fuelling suggestion sounds the best. I guess the mention of 'choke' really means the injectors squirting in more fuel. Anyone else think the pollen filter could be to blame?

By the way I'm surprised that lexus are allowed to richen up the mixture to help starting - won't they fall foul of emission regs.

Mike

ps what bike you got ?

Just got a Triumph Rocket 3 (because I saved so much on what I was planning to spend on a GS450H). Really interesting getting into cruising (in the motorcycling sense I hasten to add). Have you got a bike Andy?

Mike

oh just one of those small engined triumphs! i wouldnt like to have to pick that up if i dropped it!

ive got a cbr 600 a slightly different animal, and whatever type of cruising you like is up to you!

did you receive the disc by the way?

andy

ps what bike you got ?

Mike

oh just one of those small engined triumphs! i wouldnt like to have to pick that up if i dropped it!

ive got a cbr 600 a slightly different animal, and whatever type of cruising you like is up to you!

andy

Haha ... when I said just got a triumph rocket3 I meant 'recently got'

Do you get to any of the local bike meets during the summer. There's a new one nr Stokesley apparently.

Yeah got the disc thanks but haven't had a chance to try fitting it yet. Might manage it tomorrow.

Mike

ps what bike you got ?

Mike

andy

Haha ... when I said just got a triumph rocket3 I meant 'recently got'

Do you get to any of the local bike meets during the summer. There's a new one nr Stokesley apparently.

Yeah got the disc thanks but haven't had a chance to try fitting it yet. Might manage it tomorrow.

Mike

havent been out on it much at all the last couple of years, it sees about as much daylight as the barbecue does, but hopefully the sun will be better next year, and it might see a few more miles added on the clock.

andy

I think it only happens from a cold start so the rich fuelling suggestion sounds the best. I guess the mention of 'choke' really means the injectors squirting in more fuel. Anyone else think the pollen filter could be to blame?

Er, Nah

By the way I'm surprised that lexus are allowed to richen up the mixture to help starting - won't they fall foul of emission regs.

Mike

Emission testing has to be done on a warm engine. Any petrol or diseasel will have some sort of cold start system which includes making the mixture richer, mainly because the fuel does not evaporate in a cold engine and so it wont burn well enough to start the cycle, the richer mixture helps to warm the Cats up as well, so it actually gets lower emissions sooner.

BTW, only carburettors have chokes.

Just to update on my petrol fume problem. I never actually solved it. Most of the time it’s not evident inside the car. Sometimes when you open the door if the car hasn’t been used for a few days there is a definite whiff but it soon disappears when you get going.

In the boot it’s a different matter. There is always a smell of petrol there and at the moment I still haven’t put back the boot linings since the leak was apparently found and cured.

When you open the boot and see the bare metal of the tank there is, I suppose a psychological element and perhaps a bare tank and pipework will always smell a little. I don’t worry about it anymore. I don’t smoke and wouldn’t allow anyone to pollute my Lexus so I don’t have any fears. (I don’t think about all the sparky electrics clicking on and off).

Another reason I left the boot linings out was that I discovered water had come in and was under the rear offside seat and floor well. I tried to get the rear seats out but couldn’t manage it and it now seems to have dried out. All I need now is a day when the wind isn’t too rough and it’s not raining and I’ll get it all put back together.

Other than the above I absolutely love my Lexus. My wife is amazed how I can be so attached to a car as I have no particular interest in motors. I just love the way it drives.

It’s quiet, it’s very comfy, it has plenty of room, climate control and a super stereo system.

The steering is feather touch with a fantastic turning circle and the response from the engine is just silky smooth power. What more could you want?

PS Don’t seem to see many LS400s around this area (Rutland). I always think I saw more before I bought one which is unusual.

Regards to all who contribute to this always interesting forum.

If water is in the floor well, its probably coming from the sunroof & down the window columns.

Mine did it, still does occasionally at random when it pleases, i nevere use the sunroof anymore, it seems to not close properly even tho it looks like it has.

Just a quick open (10mm) & close again does the trick. You just never know so once it stops you should be ok

If water is in the floor well, its probably coming from the sunroof & down the window columns.

Mine did it, still does occasionally at random when it pleases, i nevere use the sunroof anymore, it seems to not close properly even tho it looks like it has.

Just a quick open (10mm) & close again does the trick. You just never know so once it stops you should be ok

I think you are right Manc. I don't think any more water has come in since the previous occasion. My garage owning friend advised me to park it on my sloping drive the other way round. He tested the front sunroof outlets and they were clear but he couldn't get to the back ones. I used to back it in but now I drive straight in. The reason I backed it in was pure vanity. I just loved wafting out through my gates and straight down the road instead of faffing about reversing!!

The petrol smell is not much of a problem now either. This morning the car had some condensation inside and I had to drive about 20 miles so I thought I would have the rear windows open half way. There was a very strong smell of petrol while I had them open but when I eventually closed them the smell wasn't evident.

I don't understand how the smell of petrol can enter the car when you are driving along at 50/60mph? but I don't know anything about aerodynamics.

Regards

Roy

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links