Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Here's One That'll Get Your Brains Going!

docis200

Hi guys,

Im a new member and proud owner of a 1999 IS200 Sport (with sat nav), Platinum Ice (think thats the colour). Im not going to post any pics yet as i plan on doing a few small mods as the car is completely standard and i wanna put my own touch to it and then people can tell me what they think. Im in Ireland so any other owners over here give me a shout!

Now down to the bit thats gonna hopefully have all of you giving me great ideas.

I imported the car from the uk last week and the sat nav disc is uk only so no irish maps, secondly the dreaded error 3 is on the cd head unit! My plan, if possible, is to install a nice single din head unit which can play dvd, cd, ipod, have sat nav and Bluetooth for the phone. Now i wanna know is it possible to have such a unit and connect it to the existing sat nav screen i.e bypassing the sat nav unit in the boot and being able to play dvd's on the screen in the dash??

Another possilbe way maybe to remove the screen thats in it now and install a normal 7 inch monitor like you'd see built into the headrests. but it still have it open and close??

I may be way off the mark with all of that and may not be possible but if the answer is out there i know someone on here will help.

This site is excellent for everyone helping each other. Cheers guys

Ill look into it myself too and let you know how i get on

Shane

Hi there, yes it's possible to use the nav screen by buying a unit to allow additional inputs into it - however if you're only going to be using it for that and not for the original nav at all your idea to replace the screen is probably a better one.

There are a few people who have placed their own screen in the nav housing, the opening and closing is nothing to do with the actual nav unit so isn't an issue.

If you can afford it though replace the headunit with a touchscreen double din job - it'll look the nuts with the two screens on the dash :)

Hi there, yes it's possible to use the nav screen by buying a unit to allow additional inputs into it - however if you're only going to be using it for that and not for the original nav at all your idea to replace the screen is probably a better one.

There are a few people who have placed their own screen in the nav housing, the opening and closing is nothing to do with the actual nav unit so isn't an issue.

If you can afford it though replace the headunit with a touchscreen double din job - it'll look the nuts with the two screens on the dash :)

Im totally with you on the 2 screens, would look excellent and its possibly the best option. put it in, replace screen, connect them and would have 2 screens and 1 which would open and close as needed. really cool. ill be all night now looking at units!!

thanks

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links