Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Insurnace

Anuj

hi everybody,

i was just wondering whether anybody knows of any insurance companies that will allow an 18 year old whos is fully comp, to be insured in another car with the owners permission. atm i am the named driver on a honda, and that is the only car i can drive however i was wondering what insurance companies will allow me 2 drive say my dads car with his permission? thanks

Anuj

hi everybody,

i was just wondering whether anybody knows of any insurance companies that will allow an 18 year old whos is fully comp, to be insured in another car with the owners permission. atm i am the named driver on my honda, and that is the only car i can drive however i was wondering what insurance companies will allow me 2 drive say my dads car with his permission? thanks

Anuj

You would be allowed to drive his car if you were a named driver on his policy. Not quite sure how you can be a "named" driver on your own car. If someone else has insured it for you it might be declared invalid if anything happened, "fronting" is the term used by insurers I think.

If you insure your car in your own name then most policies allow you to drive other cars with the owners permission but would normally only give third party cover on cars which you are driving with permission.

hi everybody,

i was just wondering whether anybody knows of any insurance companies that will allow an 18 year old whos is fully comp, to be insured in another car with the owners permission. atm i am the named driver on my honda, and that is the only car i can drive however i was wondering what insurance companies will allow me 2 drive say my dads car with his permission? thanks

Anuj

Hope your insurance company doesn't read that as you are not insuared on the honda by your own admission .

i have just looked at my policy and it states:

Persons or classes of persons entitled to drive:

The policyholder

The policyholder may also drive with the owners permission a motor car not owned by the policy holder and not hired or leased to the policyholder under a hire purchase or annual leasing agreement, - that is my dad.

Any person who is named below who is driving on the policyholders order or with the policyholders permission: A Malhotra (me) providing that the person driving holds a license to drive such motor car or has held is not disqualified for holding or obtaining such a license.

let me rephrase my post. the car is owned by my dad. so tax insurance v5 e.t.c is all in his name, i also drive the car. sorry for any confusion. no part of the car is in my name

No worries then on that score as that puts a different slant to it, although technically he must be the main driver and I would assume he has declared that he owns any other cars he is insuring in his name.

Easiest way is to "bite the bullet" and insure in your name and start to build(hopefully) your own NCD.

Have you checked with the current insurers of the Honda to see if they have any facility to allow you, as a named driver on that policy, to also drive other cars with permissions in the same way as the policyholder can?

If you are the policyholder of a fully comp insurance policy, then that allows you to drive any car with the owners permission but you only have third party cover on the other vehicles.

That's the only way I think if you're talking about not paying extra.

If you are the policyholder of a fully comp insurance policy, then that allows you to drive any car with the owners permission but you only have third party cover on the other vehicles.

That's the only way I think if you're talking about not paying extra.

But he isn't the policyholder....his dad is. That's why I say for him to insure the car himself.....it seems like his car with his dad fronting it by registering it in his name (no offence Anuj) to get cheaper cover, although I'm sure to be wrong!

Hi at the end of the day with premiums for young drivers in high areas running into the £2000 + mark its not suprising they are forced to find a cheaper way round it ( better than no insurance at all ). Im sure Anuj meant the car he is insuared to drive on & not his car, a practical car for his dad to drive around locally in I expect :D

But he isn't the policyholder....his dad is. That's why I say for him to insure the car himself.....it seems like his car with his dad fronting it by registering it in his name (no offence Anuj) to get cheaper cover, although I'm sure to be wrong!

Ahh, my bad for skim reading :whistling:

Yep as a named driver you won't be able to drive anything else - either way I wouldn't drive under third party cover nowadays unless it was unavoidable.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links