Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mk1 Gs 300 Sport Oil Change And Oil Filter Question

I have had my mk1 gs 300 sport for about 7 months now, and during that time its done a few long drives across europe, i am due to take the car back to uk in a couple f months time againg, but before i do i was thinking of changing the oil and the oil filter......so i have a few questions

on the mk1 how easy is it to change the oil, and is it easy enough to get at and change the oil filter

what oil and how much should i use

the oil filter, is it the same as on any other model of car, toyota or other as there is only one lexus dealer here and they havent had any mk1 300s in portugal, so possibly no parts........the other option would be to collect one in the uk when i am over at xmas

thanks

for any help

No idea if the filter is from any other Toyotas/Lexus, but would assume it would match atleast some of the normally aspirated supra's.

Draining the oil is simple enough. Getting to the oil filter is a real pain though. Not much room to work in. I would recommend getting the oil up to temp for the drain, drain it, and then leave the car to fully cool again. Then work at getting the filter off when there is no danger of burning your arms. No matter what I do, there is always some oil spillage down the side of the engine when the filter is removed, not sure if there is some magic trick to prevent this or not. Nothing complicated to it, just very restricted space. In fact, the filter is such a nuisance, that I keep looking into remote filter kits to relocate it. Just not got round to sorting a kit out yet.

No idea if the filter is from any other Toyotas/Lexus, but would assume it would match atleast some of the normally aspirated supra's.

Draining the oil is simple enough. Getting to the oil filter is a real pain though. Not much room to work in. I would recommend getting the oil up to temp for the drain, drain it, and then leave the car to fully cool again. Then work at getting the filter off when there is no danger of burning your arms. No matter what I do, there is always some oil spillage down the side of the engine when the filter is removed, not sure if there is some magic trick to prevent this or not. Nothing complicated to it, just very restricted space. In fact, the filter is such a nuisance, that I keep looking into remote filter kits to relocate it. Just not got round to sorting a kit out yet.

would it be worth just draining the oil and replacing the filter at a later date, after the long drive back

what is a remote filter exactly

what is best oil to use

Thbanks

No, the oil filter needs changing with the oil !

'TRUE'...................But I do very Regular Oil Changes (every 3,000 Mls or so) and I change the Oil Filter Every 'Other' Change!

...Granted, Leaving the Oil filter on will obviously contaminate the New Oil ,But Hey!, You will have 90% New Oil & It wont do any Harm Whatsoever !

PS, On my last Oil Change (about 2,000 mls Ago) I never changed my filter and the Oil is still remarkably Clear, Not a hint of Discolouration!

The only problem with the oil filter location in my eyes is if the filter your about to change is stuck on! Ive changed oil in cars with a much more anoying filter location. The 2JZ filters are easily seen and theres just enough room to get your hand down & twist it off. Try cleaning the filter & wearing a thick rubber glove for extra hand grip ;) Tigerfish, try loosening the filter so its ready to come off, then grab an old rag or towel and put it around it when you do actually take it off. Should help with the spils! My MR2 has a filter high up behind the exhaust manifold that you cant see, and its fitted at an almost upside down angle, impossible not to spill some :( But an old rag always helps minimise the swear words lol

• 2 weeks later...