Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My car is just over 4 yrs with 36K on the clock. Wing mirror on the drivers side will not move in or out, will only move up or down, Xenon light on passenger side keeps turning off when it feels like it. The car is full of rattles and feels like it will fall apart. Keyless entry works whe it is in a good mood.

What next? Anyone else go these problems?

My offside mirror needs a little 'encouragement' to move up and down sometimes, but I realy need to adjust it, apart from that all the electrics are ok. I'm a bit bemused why the light should go out? Would a Lexus garage be able to read the codes? If the door won't unlock then that sounds like a key fob Battery issue. These should be changed during a service.

Welcome to my nightmare.................sorry going to see Alice Cooper nxt Week.......

They don't build em like they used to i'm afraid.

My Drivers Seat creaks and squeaks, and numerous dashboard squeaks......resorted to stuffing felt down between dash and windscreen on passenger side.

I also had a problem with the passenger side headlight,,,,,flickering...or not coming on at all.......

So I tried changing the bulbs around to see if it's the bulb or the ballast........I noticed that there's a small metal contact in the light unit, (similar to what you find at the bottom of a torch that makes contact with the batteries), I treaked this up a little, and have had no issues since.

It's all a bloody great shame because it could be a great car.

Happy Days :crybaby:

I notice you both have 05 cars - could it be a "first out of the factory" problem? Would be interesting to hear if owners of newer cars suffer the same problems........it would be a real shame if Lexus have lost their way as Mercedes did........

I ahve owned the car for 4 yrs so couldn't have been abused by any one. Besides problems should have stated earlier that after 4 yrs. Battery in the Fob key has been changed twice and no joy. Thinking of selling and leaving the Lexus world. getting really fed up now.

TonyB, thanks for the point raised about the light. I give it a try and see if that helps. Strange thing is it just happened out of the blue. I am seriously considering a Merc.

As was said they have gone the same way as Mercedes I sold my Mercedes because of common problems (springs breaking,rust,electrical problems of which there are loads) bought a Lexus GS300 sport and wow what a mistake nothing but trouble only had it for 13 months and I always had my hand in my wallet,I couldn't get shot quick enough all the prestige cars are the same now just a sign of the times mass producing.

You guys will probably laugh but I did a PX for a VW Passat Highline TDI with all the toys and what a car, I bought one because my brother has had one for 3 years trouble free and for a diesel they really shift I have just had a remapp done on mine and it really flies I get 42 MPG local driving and 65/68 on a run.

My lexus was doing 18/20 local and 28 on a run so no competition there.

One of the main reasons for buying a Lexus was the reliability but I must say I enjoy driving my wife's 8 yr old Peugeot. It has been trouble free and far less than what I paid for the GS

Hi there, sorry if I seem to be contradicting the theme here but I have a 55 GS300SE-L with 58K on the clock.

I have owned the car since last December and I have put 9000 miles on it in that time.

The car is faultless, I have no rattles, no failures of any kind over the past 11 months (there I go I have saifd it now so I will break down on the way home !).

No electrical problems of any kind, no rattles. The drivers side mirror moves in and out slightly slower than the other but other than that it is fine.

The only gripe I have is that the engine sounds 'tappety' when ticking over in an enclosed space but I have been advised that this is perfectly normal as it is the sound of the injectors, a known gripe with this model. The front brakes were a bit creaky when I first got the car but a clean up at Lexus free of charge resolved that.

On the whole I love the car. Maybe it is not as absolutely perfect quality wise as the 99 IS200 I had before but I would not change it for anything at the moment (except for the GS450h of course !!).

Not trying to be a smart A&%e, just portraying the opinion of a happy owner and trying to redress the balance a bit. ^_^

I can't fault the engine on my 430 Sport, but the niggles I've got/had with the car plus my lack of interest in the look of the new models has put me off buying the brand again to be honest. At most I would get an old IS200 if I was to get another Lexus. Once Christmas is out of the way I will be looking into changing my car.

I can't fault the engine on my 430 Sport, but the niggles I've got/had with the car plus my lack of interest in the look of the new models has put me off buying the brand again to be honest. At most I would get an old IS200 if I was to get another Lexus. Once Christmas is out of the way I will be looking into changing my car.

I agree with the support side of this discussion, when you stop to consider all that goes on each time you use any car and espically a Lexus with so many gizmos it is quite amazing how few small but I know irrating problems occur, also these components are only assembled and not manufactured by Lexus and so they are dependant on quality control at so many other companies. These problems are almost non existant compared to most other makes, espically Mercedes, I followed an 06 plate Merc recently with just rust and no paint around the boot release. Keep the faith. BTW whilst my 450H was in for service last week Lexus MK lent me a 2 miles old base IS220D and that was a truely horrid car, without the badge I would never have known it was a Lexus and 3 pedals were a complete mystery ! how spoilt we are !

Tony

TonyB, thanks for the point raised about the light. I give it a try and see if that helps. Strange thing is it just happened out of the blue. I am seriously considering a Merc.

My Merc was back to the dealers over 9 times in the first year alone with problems - aircon, seats etc (All electrical - mechanically seems to be doing fine)

My Merc was back to the dealers over 9 times in the first year alone with problems - aircon, seats etc (All electrical - mechanically seems to be doing fine)

My father in law had no end of electrical troubles with his new E class, even the sat nav console had to be replaced.

I have had issues with my GS. The ecu needed changing and so did 2 O2 sensors. This was a horrid shock to the system, £3000, I was lucky and had the work done through he garage at no cost. The trouble is I know that the ECU problem isn't a one off either, others are now experiencing this fault. 06 onwards cars seem to be ok though.

Apart from this though I am very pleased with the car. It is very comfortable and makes my commute very enjoyable and relaxing and the fuel consumption is excellent. I could buy a Merc but I don't have much faith in them either. I you want a reliable big car what do you by? Please, no VW Passat suggestions, horrid, horrid cars, I'd rather catch a train.

I am afraid im starting to agree with alot of you guys ,i bought lexus mainly because of the reliabilty reputation but i have to admit after only 9 months of ownership ive virtually decided to get rid in the new year.

After 5 years of owning a bmw 740 with NOTHING going wrong on it and putting 80,000 miles on it in that period i bought the lexus ( gs 430sport) and i have to say i have no confidence it what so ever,numerous problems are occuring on it with the gearbox doing what it wants when it whats being the worst . It had a full history and was low mileage so has really disappointed me.

The shame is i like the car like the way it looks and especially like the way it goes( nothing keeps up) but i just feel i should cut my losses and get rid, I agree with what was said earlier they established themselves in the mid nineties with the superb Ls which was made and built like a tank but over the years the quality has slowly started to ebb away just like mercedes.

Think i will trade in for a vauxhall monaro i love V8s and at 5.7 litres you cant get much better value for your money

And by the way i gave the bmw to my dad and hes stills driving round in it problem free GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

I purchased my 2006 GS450h in November last year with just over 40,000 miles on it and have since added another 20,000 trouble free miles to it.

Previous to this car I had a new shape Audi A8 that spent more time in the garage being repaired than I spent driving it...!!

I guess that all cars will have problems and anyone who does have problems with their car is more likely to post it on a forum, which then may give the impression of poor reliability.

I've been very happy with the Lexus experience so far and long may it continue.

I am afraid im starting to agree with alot of you guys ,i bought lexus mainly because of the reliabilty reputation but i have to admit after only 9 months of ownership ive virtually decided to get rid in the new year.

After 5 years of owning a bmw 740 with NOTHING going wrong on it and putting 80,000 miles on it in that period i bought the lexus ( gs 430sport) and i have to say i have no confidence it what so ever,numerous problems are occuring on it with the gearbox doing what it wants when it whats being the worst . It had a full history and was low mileage so has really disappointed me.

The shame is i like the car like the way it looks and especially like the way it goes( nothing keeps up) but i just feel i should cut my losses and get rid, I agree with what was said earlier they established themselves in the mid nineties with the superb Ls which was made and built like a tank but over the years the quality has slowly started to ebb away just like mercedes.

Think i will trade in for a vauxhall monaro i love V8s and at 5.7 litres you cant get much better value for your money

And by the way i gave the bmw to my dad and hes stills driving round in it problem free GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Really sorry to hear you and EMjay have had such problems with your Mk2 GS430 sport - I've had mine since 2005 and only had a failed motor in the wing mirror (fortunately was still under Lexus warranty) and a front bush replacement due to the weight of the engine. (Had this with the Mk4 LS I had in 2000 too.) Touch wood apart from that been very reliable and fun to drive.

I must confess I'm not fond of the 'new' style Lexus as build quality in some cases seems to be worse and I think you either love or loathe the Mk3 shape and I'm in the latter category. Had before the current car a MK4 LS (wonderful car but gave me speeding points on my license so I had to get rid of it!) and various GS300's and 430's along with even an IS200.

Certainly reading the forums it seems 2004 / 5 was perhaps when build quality started to go down the pan?

Maybe a pattern is emerging here ..

My first Lexus - 2003 LS 430 - virtually faultless

My second Lexus - early build 55 plate GS 430 - creaks, rattles - replaced by lexus for

My third lexus 56 plate Rx 350 - one fault in 3 years = squeaky seat. Just replaced with

My fourth lexus - brand new RX450h 59 plate - squeaks and rattles fixed in both doors (silent now though!)

Moral is wait until the model has got 12 months under its belt. This isn't just Lexus but many brands.

My car is just over 4 yrs with 36K on the clock. Wing mirror on the drivers side will not move in or out, will only move up or down, Xenon light on passenger side keeps turning off when it feels like it. The car is full of rattles and feels like it will fall apart. Keyless entry works whe it is in a good mood.

Same here, second lexus GS300 for me MKIII from Sep 2005 with 130K : passengers outside mirror no movement when reversing, lexus offered to pay 50% of cost because out of warranty (i did not accept this find myself it is a hidden defect from the beginning , poor design).

Xenon HID same problems have started but on drivers side randomly my HID turns (cheap quality) off untill I switch OFF/ON/AUTO the lights again.

POOOOR quality this will be my last lexus.

Other is a 1998 MKII (with Xenon HID that works flawlessly for 12 years now) with 250K on the road and only needed 3x Battery and a new antenna this car is quality still drives like new. Next will be audi,bmw or mercedes!!!

Same here, second lexus GS300 for me MKIII from Sep 2005 with 130K : passengers outside mirror no movement when reversing, lexus offered to pay 50% of cost because out of warranty (i did not accept this find myself it is a hidden defect from the beginning , poor design).

Xenon HID same problems have started but on drivers side randomly my HID turns (cheap quality) off untill I switch OFF/ON/AUTO the lights again.

POOOOR quality this will be my last lexus.

Other is a 1998 MKII (with Xenon HID that works flawlessly for 12 years now) with 250K on the road and only needed 3x Battery and a new antenna this car is quality still drives like new. Next will be audi,bmw or mercedes!!!

Don't go near mercedes m8 they have the same issues.

Bought new 09 GS SE 6 months ago and it has been an absolute dream since day 1.

It is without a doubt the best cat I have ever owned.

Refined,doesn't miss a beat,creamy smooth engine and beats my old RX400h for economy on long runs-35.9 mpg on 600 mile,long w/e to cornwall in awful weather with an engine that has barely run in.

Sorry some of you have had issues,but I'm delighted with my one-it's a keeper.