Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1999 Ls400 Exhaust Leak?

Hello All

I seem to be having a slightly blowing exhaust and am having some difficulty tracing it.

The car is a 1999 LS400. I initially suspected the EGR valve but having researched this is would seem that the VVT engine doesn't have one of these????

It seems to be coming from around the manifold area and I was just wondering if this is at all common?

I've had a garage have a quick look but they weren't sure. Only a small pin hole just after the cats but that didn't seem to be it.

Also, is there any way to access the manifolds without MAJOR work...Maybe even including removing the engine?

Thanks in advance

Hello All

I seem to be having a slightly blowing exhaust and am having some difficulty tracing it.

The car is a 1999 LS400. I initially suspected the EGR valve but having researched this is would seem that the VVT engine doesn't have one of these????

It seems to be coming from around the manifold area and I was just wondering if this is at all common?

I've had a garage have a quick look but they weren't sure. Only a small pin hole just after the cats but that didn't seem to be it.

Also, is there any way to access the manifolds without MAJOR work...Maybe even including removing the engine?

Thanks in advance

Hi if it goes away when the car is warm it could be the gaskets where the manifold joins the front of the cats about £7 each

manifolds can be a pain to remove but not impossible and no it does not involve removing the motor.

From what I understand the most common rust point is at the cats... gaskets are cheap or you can plug the leak with some sealant.

If your manifolds need to come out perhaps this is a good opportunity to upgrade to some higher flowing aftermarket ones?

Thanks for that

I may try to have a go at this next week. Any advice on how to access the manifolds with the engine in place? It looks very tight to the body. Where can you access the bolts from?

Also for interests sake, where can I get high flow headers?

I may try to have a go at this next week. Any advice on how to access the manifolds with the engine in place? It looks very tight to the body. Where can you access the bolts from?

From underneath the car, on a lift preferably, but good enough stands should do....but you are lying down and cannot generate the force needed to crack some bolts....

on that subject, when i had my gaskets around there changed, the bloke had to heat up the bolts and they had a nightmare getting them out....i left them to it after becoming uneasy at the site of a flame gun under my car :crybaby:

A 99 model should be a bit better but will have similar issues with old rusted bolts

From underneath the car, on a lift preferably, but good enough stands should do....but you are lying down and cannot generate the force needed to crack some bolts....

on that subject, when i had my gaskets around there changed, the bloke had to heat up the bolts and they had a nightmare getting them out....i left them to it after becoming uneasy at the site of a flame gun under my car :crybaby:

A 99 model should be a bit better but will have similar issues with old rusted bolts

Thanks Manc

If you dont mind my asking, what gaskets did you have changed and what was the approximate cost?