Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Car

dave1

Having got my wife a new car last week I would welcome any advice on the best types of cleaning products to enhance, maintain and protect the paintwork. I use Autoglym Extra Resin Polish and Extra Gloss Protection on my Lexus but not sure if these are ok to use on new cars.

If you meant super resin polish then you won't need to use that on a brand new car - that's a mild cutting polish that is to remove swirls and generally rejuvenate the paintwork. Should be sufficient to use the extra gloss protection and then a few coats of a good quality wax to seal it all in :)

If you meant super resin polish then you won't need to use that on a brand new car - that's a mild cutting polish that is to remove swirls and generally rejuvenate the paintwork. Should be sufficient to use the extra gloss protection and then a few coats of a good quality wax to seal it all in :)

Cheers Parthiban,

Yes it is SRP that I use on the Lexus. So if I wash with the Autoglym carwash and put a couple of coats of the EGP on, any particular wax that is fairly readily available at retail outlets? (Metallic Black if that makes any difference)

I would use the Autoglym EGP and then seal the car with Klasse sealant then 2 coats of collinite 476`s paste wax....the collinite will last very well all over the winter months as its a very hard wax on the car once applied.....

So the EGP isn't a sealant on it's own? I don't have a particular sealant, although that would just be another thing to buy and keep in the garage :lol:

Cheers Parthiban,

Yes it is SRP that I use on the Lexus. So if I wash with the Autoglym carwash and put a couple of coats of the EGP on, any particular wax that is fairly readily available at retail outlets? (Metallic Black if that makes any difference)

Yep no need for the SRP on brand new paintwork then. As above collinite 476 is a really good wax, it's quite hardwearing so doesn't need to be reapplied too often. Not sure if you can get it on the high street, but very easily available online (can't remember where I got mine but it was either detailedobsession or cleanyourcar)

And possibly the sealant mentioned above, not something I've used before but probably something I will invest in soon :)

P.S. What's the car out of curiosity? Another Lexus?

P.S. What's the car out of curiosity? Another Lexus?

Not a Lexus. Her last car was a Proton Persona SRI which I got her new in May 1997 and it was a terrific car. Unfortunately she had a slight mishap in it last month so I managed to persuade her to change. After checking several cars and various test drives we settled on the Hyundai i30.

Dave, as pointed out already, if the car hasn't had any swirls inflicted upon it through your or the dealer's washing regime (hard not to given the general level of "ignorance" at most dealerships) then SRP won't be required.

On the basis of it having some swirls though, you can use the SRP to reduce them, or remove them, and mask some light ones - but if you don't want to go to all that hassle, then an AIO (all-in-one) like Bilt Hamber Auto-balm will mask them and seal the paint.

If you're not keen on forking out more money on product, then your EGP (which is a sealant - a semi-decent one, but requires 24 hours to fully cure before adding anything over it) will suffice.

You don't need a wax as well, unless you must have the beading characteristics a wax will provide, but bear in mind, small tall beads of water, when dried out, will leave behind evidence of their existence in water spots and suspended debris.

In this case, BH AB will pool the water droplets, so you have more to evaporate, leaving less unsightly marks.

Having got my wife a new car last week I would welcome any advice on the best types of cleaning products to enhance, maintain and protect the paintwork. I use Autoglym Extra Resin Polish and Extra Gloss Protection on my Lexus but not sure if these are ok to use on new cars.
i use the carlack system which is long lasting and will give complete protection against etching from bird waste.available at cleanyourcar.co.uk.there are application guides as well,the nice thing about the product is that no white dust whilst buffing off.

Hi guys

I've just ordered some Bilt Hamber as looks perfect for my needs - I will report back how I get on.

My car is a daily runner, so I don't want to go through machine prep just to leave it parked by the runway at Heathrow the next day !

Whitey

Dave, as pointed out already, if the car hasn't had any swirls inflicted upon it through your or the dealer's washing regime (hard not to given the general level of "ignorance" at most dealerships) then SRP won't be required.

On the basis of it having some swirls though, you can use the SRP to reduce them, or remove them, and mask some light ones - but if you don't want to go to all that hassle, then an AIO (all-in-one) like Bilt Hamber Auto-balm will mask them and seal the paint.

If you're not keen on forking out more money on product, then your EGP (which is a sealant - a semi-decent one, but requires 24 hours to fully cure before adding anything over it) will suffice.

You don't need a wax as well, unless you must have the beading characteristics a wax will provide, but bear in mind, small tall beads of water, when dried out, will leave behind evidence of their existence in water spots and suspended debris.

In this case, BH AB will pool the water droplets, so you have more to evaporate, leaving less unsightly marks.

No sign of swirl marks so I will try washing and applying a couple of coats of EGP and see if it keeps her car protected and looking good for a reasonable time. Egp is a sealant and has wax in so hopefully it will work on its own and save me some money and time (I seem to have to keep her car clean as well as mine!)

Thanks to all respondents for your advice. If the EGP doesn't last I will be looking at the products suggested.

Cheers Dave.

EGP is pure sealant - no wax substances. The only hybrid wax that comes from memory, is Collinite - which is combined polymer ingredients with some carnauba. Very solventy and best not used with bare hands, but a very good performer in the durability stakes.

EGP is pure sealant - no wax substances.

Whilst I am grateful for your input, and you certainly appear to be very knowledgeable on car care matters, you have it slightly wrong on this matter.I may not be very well up on car care products but I can assure you that EGP is "made up of a blend of hard resins, waxes and protective silicones, free of abrasives or emulsifiers."

Autoglym sent me a booklet "Car Care...an expert guide" listing their products and the above is how they describe EGP. Since they are the manufacturers I would tend to think that their description of its contents would be correct! If you contact them by telephone or email they are happy to supply copies of their booklet as obviously it only has there own products listed so it is good advertising for them.

Your advice in your previous post was however most welcome.

Cheers Dave

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links