Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Been In A Crash!

Adz T

Hello! I am looking for advice on a crash I was involved with today.

I just drove into a big retail/shopping park in my area to go for some dinner with some friends. I went round a small roundabout and headed towards a car space nearer to the shops as it was raining.

The car park is made up of sideroads with lots of car spaces. It's a big car park, if anyone is familar with the Manchester area it is the Manchester Fort retail park.

I was driving down one of these sideroads, there was no other cars on the road, the whole car park was quiet compared to what it is usually. I was driving past one of the junctions that join the sideroad and a Focus came very close to the passenger door, my friend in the passenger seat shouted as he thought we were about to be hit, then crunch. He hit my back wheel arch and some of the rear passenger door.

I got out and he apologized immediatley. We sorted insurance details out and he accepted full responsibility and fault. I took pictures the moment I got out of the car, I took his numberplate and took his name and contact number, and made sure the number worked. Unfortunatley there were no witnesses other than the drivers wife and my two friends. I made sure one of my friends stayed with him while we moved our cars out of the road as we were beginning to obstruct traffic to get in and out of that section of the car park.

He didn't really know what to do, he said it was his first accident and wanted to know how much it cost, I told him it will be left to his insurance company. He phoned me 10 mins after he left offering money instead of going through the insurance company; but please read on, as this is my problem.

He hit the rear passenger door slightly, my wheel arch took the majority and I have got paint from his car on my wheel. To me, it looks like the whole rear panel will need to be replaced, it's a massive panel, the sill, rear quarter around the petrol cap, the pillar above to doors, you know which panel I mean.

The car drives fine, I was expecting him to have knocked my balancing but no, it is fine.

I know you will not be able to answer this question until I post pictures but I fear they will right the car off because of the amount of money it will cost to buy the panel, paint and fit it and possibly a new rear door. My car is a 51 plate with 103,000 miles. I have insured it for over £3000.

Has anyone ever been hit in the rear quarter and what was the outcome? The damage is only minimal and maybe I am over-reacting. I don't know how IS200s are put together but if I look at it the whole rear quarter panel it will need to be replaced, because I don't think it can be bumped out because it's quite mangled.

I 'need' to go through insurance, I NEED a courtesy car because I need to drive for my job.

Will my car be a right off??

PICTURES!:

His car

27112009278.jpg w2592.png

MY LEX! :(

27112009279.jpg w2592.png

27112009282.jpg w2592.png

27112009285.jpg w2592.png

27112009286.jpg w2592.png

Sorry to hear this mate, but I suspect your car will be a write off as the parts/labour costs will be high (if it was me, I would want my car to be repaired by Lexus regardless whether my IS200 is 10 years old or 1 year old).

Basically, the costs of repairs vs. age of car will probably make it a write off, if OEM parts/labour are used. If you were to repair the damage using 2nd hand parts & a non-Lexus garage then the car could be worth repairing (costs involved would be lower).

I'm no bodywork expert but that does look repairable, I doubt they'd replace the panels just for that but you never know. Best to pop into your Lexus dealer, ask for an estimate for the repairs. That way you can let him know, if he pays you can do it without involving insurance (and Lexus will give you a courtesy car).

I had a very similar bump but the car hit mine behind the rear wheel on the same side, there was panel damage but it was lower behind the bumper so was just kocked back out, and I had a new bumper and rear lip painted and fitted, and an IS250 for a week, at an estimated total cost to the third party of £700

my car is a 2000 with 76k, dunno if my info helps, but I thought i'd share as a rough guide

I notified the police this afternoon and I have a log number.

I really do hope it's a simple fix!

That's repairable.

It's very important you have those photos, it shows he has gone over a give way sign on the road ;)

Wow, thank you for pointing that out. I did get VERY trigger happy, I got a lot of photos, the ones I put up are the best and most relevent I thought.

I had a very similar bump but the car hit mine behind the rear wheel on the same side, there was panel damage but it was lower behind the bumper so was just kocked back out, and I had a new bumper and rear lip painted and fitted, and an IS250 for a week, at an estimated total cost to the third party of £700

my car is a 2000 with 76k, dunno if my info helps, but I thought i'd share as a rough guide

Thank you! This does reassure me to be honest! IS250 for a week would be fantastic, I couldn't bare a Ford KA!

Also, big thank you to everyone for replying, I can assure you my mind is at rest now, I will be contacting the insurance company first thing tomorrow morning and I will let you all know what is said.

I will be taking my car to Lexus themselves, I want the piece of mind that my car is in the best hands.

hey mate i had a lot worse a few weeks ago with my whole quarter panel dented and folded and the guy has managed to get away with not paying ( dont worry il get my own back later ) but i took mine to a local bodyshop and i now pick it up tommorow for 270 quid including respraying both bumpers ( just with spare paint )

my bump was alot worse so you should be fine

Hello everyone, I thought I would update everyone on the situation.

As I have said, the third party that crashed into me wanted to pay for the damage with cash to avoid going through insurance as he could lose his no claims. I didn't have an issue with this as I would expect the same chance/opportunity if I crashed into someone. As Kam said 10 years or 1 year, Lexus are the way to go for a car repair.

I came to think that on the Thursday my car was 100% genuine Lexus, then on Friday someone crashes into me and my car may have to be repaired not using the genuine parts. I went to a Lexus bodyshop in the Manchester area and they quoted me £2370.40p. That included a new door, majority of the rear quarter panel and my wheel gyro/balancing re-assed because my wheel was hit. All parts obviously sprayed and fitted by Lexus professionals.

I phoned the guy that hit me and I think he nearly fell over, like I said in my original post, he offered me around £400 to repair it, I tried to tell him it will be in the £1000s but to him I would of been happy with some cowboy filling my beloved Lex with filler!!!!

I have gone with Lexus Accident Assist (as recommended by some people in this thread) and I am getting a courtesy/hire car on Monday and they are taking my car to be repaired. They told me because it is not yet 10 years old my car is still classed as prestige and they will most likely give me another Lexus.

I am glad everything was sorted properly and I think I will get the best possible outcome from the whole thing.

I am eager to see what car they have in store for me! IS220 or IS250? :unsure:

glad to hear your baby is getting treated ;) just be thankful you didint give that guy on the otherside a heart attack telling him how much its going to cost :) I think he should just go through his insurance company as thats what they are paid stupid amounts for right?

oh ask them to give you a is300 until your car is fixed :) IS-F would be nice too

i am glad that you got your car sorted. as i was reading this post, i could not help myself wondering what would i do if i were in your position!!!

i was going to ask, if you involve in an accident, does it mean that you can choose which garage to take your car to get repaired and the insurance company have to pay for it or you can only take your car to pre-defined garages as described by your insurance company?

or you can only take your car to pre-defined garages as described by your insurance company?

No - I have been through this before..... You have the right to take your car to the repairer of your choosing, you DO NOT have to accept whatever cowboy outfit your insurers chose because they are cheap ! They will try and fob you off with all sorts of excuses and crap about we can't guarantee this and that and you can't have a courtesy car unless you take it to 'Hack-it-and-bodge-it of Chipping Ongar etc...... Just remind them it's YOUR car and you have the right to chose the repairers of your choice.

I have had this argument with Admiral (bunch of cowboys in my opinion) and ultimately said "I'm not arguing any more - lets sort this out in court".... They agreed to my choice of repairer and I got a courtesy car no problem (most good repairers will offer a car while yours is in for repair at their facility anyway)

The Ed

I used Accident Exchane too, great service, and I got a call from them yesterday as Direct line where being arsey as to why I had an IS250 instead of accepting their Mondeo as a courtesy car, so I told them I drive a Lexus that I saved up for thru hard work and that their policy holder pays his premiums to give me the car I feel I deserve if they knock mine off the road

still awaiting response to say its all been settled