Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Newbie With Typical Newbie Q's :-)

ultimatequinoxe

Just bought it today ( very cheap ) 1993 LS400, few TLC needs of course. This being the suspension and brakes section, I shall put my queries here for anything I can find wrong with mine in this category. Any thoughts or advise, is really appreciated, thank you !

- Slight mild knocking on turning ?? intermittent. I'm thinking front wishbone or another bush somewhere ?

- And I bought it with a brake warning light on, but its the parking brake one ... ( ! ) .... I thought at first its a pad warning light, but its maybe something else ? Brakes fine though, no noise or pulling etc.

Just bought it today ( very cheap ) 1993 LS400, few TLC needs of course. This being the suspension and brakes section, I shall put my queries here for anything I can find wrong with mine in this category. Any thoughts or advise, is really appreciated, thank you !

- Slight mild knocking on turning ?? intermittent. I'm thinking front wishbone or another bush somewhere ?

- And I bought it with a brake warning light on, but its the parking brake one ... ( ! ) .... I thought at first its a pad warning light, but its maybe something else ? Brakes fine though, no noise or pulling etc.

Hi probably lower ball joint just done it on mine( upper wishboe fells like warped discs from higher speed braking)

warning light is probably a brake light bulb ( stumped me before)

Genius, thanks ! I checked my lights when I got back and one brake light is out :)

Is the ball joint very difficult ? depending on what its like under there, I wonder if its worth me getting new wishbones with the ball joints and doing the lot ? ( If im getting my info correct that is ).

Thanks for the help ! Much appreciated !!!

Genius, thanks ! I checked my lights when I got back and one brake light is out :)

Is the ball joint very difficult ? depending on what its like under there, I wonder if its worth me getting new wishbones with the ball joints and doing the lot ? ( If im getting my info correct that is ).

Thanks for the help ! Much appreciated !!!

Hi lower ball joints are easy about an hour upper wisbones are easy aswell but expensive £250 a side or aftermarket from a2z spares about £70. keep an eye on eBay as dealers sell new old stock on there. Or benfur on here has lots of spares as he only breaks ls 400s.

Thanks for the link and the reassurance on the replacement side of things. I wonder if anyone who has had experience with worn ball joints etc, if this sounds familiar and possibly linkable to ball joints or bushes on the front - pick up speed, approach bend, turn into bend ( seems only right hand, IE most pressure on front passenger side wheel ) and the car feels mighty unstable - like the " thank goodness there are heated seats to dry my pants - type unstable. And it does feel notably loose or unsteady on the side along with the odd mild knocking sound at low speed turns or sometimes over some bumps. And under heavy braking a wobble can be felt a bit, though not a warped disc feeling, rather a loose suspension feel. Does that seem likely to be the ball joint or bushes up front on the wishbone ?

I've not had time to take the wheels off yet to look around the links and joints and bushes etc. But if anyone can help me pinpoint the source of the problems by experience then I can order the bits asap before the Xmas shut down, as I don't like the unintentional drifting feeling on bends very much :whistling:

Seems one problem is certain, which is the track rod end on the drivers side ( to my surprise ) which is incredibly weak and loose. But although by looking and giving a little jiggle with a bar reveals no other obvious issues, its by no means a guarantee. But see how it is after replacing both track rod ends I guess. Thanks for the experienced insight ! :)