Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My son walked up to my car and opened the door, I said it was locked. Repeated it and although the key was in my pocket and I was about 20 feet away he could open the door. I was under the impression ( maybe wrongly ) that you had to have the key about your body to be able to unlock it.

That is a slight issue if true, I also thought the key had to be pretty close to the car for it to unlock (at least under 5 ft) - have you tried the same with the engine start?

Remember that US episode of Top Gear when they nicked Hammond's challenger, I hope that was a stunt as that would be seriously worrying if you could operate it from that distance!

That's interesting. I just press the door button and walk away when I'm locking the car. I know when it's locked as the mirrors fold or I think it's locked?

I never use the bleeper, even to open the boot, it's permanently in my pocket. Do your mirrors fold when you lock the car and retract when it's opened? My wife can't open the car door or boot unless I'm within in a few feet.

Something sounds amiss with yours but I'll see how near I have to get to mine before someone else can open it.

There must be a problem with it, as I cannot open either doors or the boot unless the key is on my person. I cannot open the boot even if the key is in a jacket hanging behind the drivers seat, although the car will start with the key in the same place.

There have also been many occasions where passengers have (unsuccessfully) attempted to open the doors whilst I've been stood next to them, but it needs my hand on the handle with a key on me to open the door on either side.

Well I've been and tied it today and you can get into both the boot and the car without the key about your person, admittedly it's over short distances but I did this in my garage. This isn't how I understood it worked.

Well I've been and tied it today and you can get into both the boot and the car without the key about your person, admittedly it's over short distances but I did this in my garage. This isn't how I understood it worked.

Could the stone walls of the garage be reflecting the signals making it work from further distances?

How far then can the key be when the car will still unlock?

No it's not the stone walls, as it was doing it outside yesterday. I thought the stone walls might cut down the distance. It was only 5 to 10 feet but still enough to concern me if key is not in the openers hand :(

That's interesting. I just press the door button and walk away when I'm locking the car. I know when it's locked as the mirrors fold or I think it's locked?

I never use the bleeper, even to open the boot, it's permanently in my pocket. Do your mirrors fold when you lock the car and retract when it's opened? My wife can't open the car door or boot unless I'm within in a few feet.

Something sounds amiss with yours but I'll see how near I have to get to mine before someone else can open it.

Hi Exiled.

Off topic I know, but have you set up the door mirrors to fold/unfold on lock/unlock?

If so how did you do it?

Thanks,

Hi Exiled.

Off topic I know, but have you set up the door mirrors to fold/unfold on lock/unlock?

If so how did you do it?

Thanks,

This feature is only available on the later IS models. Possibly the 08 revision but definitely on the 09 facelift models. Im sure someone will clarify

I would have thought that the door could be opened by anybody if the key/fob/whatever is near enough for the car to recognise it. If two people are standing together within range of the transmitting device I really cannot believe that it could discern between them and only unlock for the person with the transmitter in their pocket!

I would have thought that the door could be opened by anybody if the key/fob/whatever is near enough for the car to recognise it. If two people are standing together within range of the transmitting device I really cannot believe that it could discern between them and only unlock for the person with the transmitter in their pocket!

I think he meant that only the person with the key on their person should be close enough to allow the car to unlock :)

Hi Exiled.

If so how did you do it?

Thanks,

No, I haven't done anything, it came like that, understand it's a recent modification, mine's an 09 model. It's very usefull though as it's easy to see that the car is locked. They can still be operated from within the car as well.

• 1 month later...