Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Tires Are You Running On Your Ls?

Am thinking about refurbing 17" the wheels on my 2001 LS or buying RX8 18"s.

Either way , what tires are you using? How do you find them , noise wise and handling wise?

I find my car scrubs the front end a lot , which doesnt inspire confidence in the handling

Just want to see as i'm going to order new tires soon to see if it improves the handling situation

Regards

Ray

The best tyres I've had on mine were Michellin Primary HP. These seem to have a more 'square' edge to the tyre wall and therefore do not wear at the edges as much like you mentioned.

They are also for distance and last ages, best i've ever had. With the weight of theses cars you need a hard tyre, not a soft compound.

To be honest mate, you dont want super grippy tyres...i presume thats what you mean by handling....The LS weighs 2.3tons and these cars arent made for bombing it around corners, they can do it, but they are big powerful rear wheel drive boats and need to driven a different way if you want to be fast at bends - like sideways.

But saying that, it will only cost you control arms and other suspension costs when extreme pressure is put on these old parts often. 2.3 tons is twice the weight of a normal car.

Thanks for the replies , by the scrubbing , i mean when turning it on tarmac [10 mph etc] it scrubs at least one of the tires. It's almost as if the tracking is way off but the car is driving 100% straight so that cannot be the issue. I may drive another one to see if it is the same.

I dont drive the car hard , it's just one of those cars where you sit back and let the car do the driving which is what i like about it! However , i did note on wet corners and roundabouts , the front was pushing on. I'll have a better look at the tires and report back

Hi Ray if the tyres are under 4mm you start to loose grip ( especially in the wet) also if the tyres are getting on a bit they start to go hard. I have michlens on the front of mine I find them ok ( I dont fly around corners or roundabouts though, but find the car handles well enough)

I've got some kind of Falkens on mine (will get the exact code tonight, dad's borrowed the car!). They're great in the dry, but absolutely lousy in the wet - unless you want lots of wheelspin away from the lights/roundabouts, which sounds great (V8, mmmmmm.........) but doesn't exactly instill confidence if rapid direction changes are called for. I tend not to get understeer (unless I'm being really silly & pushing hard at full lock), but lots of power oversteer in anything less than optimum conditions.

Maybe I should get a new foot. This lead one is really not so clever :whistling:

• 4 weeks later...

Falken ZE912 is what i'll most likely go with. Just have to decide if i'm refurbing my 17"s or upgrading to 2004 18"s. The RX8 option is too much hassle for me

Car was all over the road for the past week of bad weather. Ended up parking it up and driving a landcruiser over the christmas period