Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help With Replacing A Mirror Glass

Hi all I'm in need of some help.

My car failed it's MOT on just a mirror glass, so I need to change it. I now have a replacement glass to fit but would like some help on how I go about stripping away the painted casing and getting to the guts :)

Many thanks!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Im not sure you do take the casing off?? but it usually comes off via screws on the interior where the mirror joins (small triangle), possibly where the speaker is in the LS

I've not changed mine in the Lexus, but my past cars and trucks/vans have all been the 'pop out' ball joint type. All with some force mind you, but they do come out eventually. If the glass is cracked you wont mind damaging it trying it that way.

You may have to fully tilt it one way to access a corner. The electrics do not interfere with the glass at all. Thats whether they are heated or not, there is usually a click-type connector if there is. (you know, push screwdriver in middle and slide out type of connector).

You should see any connectors or slides on the new one if its the original, so you know whats coming out with the broken one.

BE CAREFUL when inserting new mirror into slot, dont push the edges too hard and dont press the centre too hard or you will be buying another one

If you're not sure, you can always just buy the stick on glass to pass its m.o.t. It only fails when the mirror is cracked several times making your view difficult to judge. A new stick-on cheapo will pass the ticket. You can then look into doing the proper job after finding out if it is a simple job.

good luck

Hi Jeff,

I have never done this myself so cannot verify the proceedure but according to the manual proceed as follows

"Slide a towel between the mirror and the housing and then pull the mirror outwards at the bottom to disengage the mirror retaining clips,rotate mirror upwards to disengage the pivot pins, reassembly is the reverse"

Good luck.

Steve

Hi. thanks to all. That pdf looks like it could be useful. As soon as the rain backs off I'll be out there with my hammer n chizzel.

Jeff

It doesn't mention hammer n chizzel in the workshop manual only Ant and Dec!!!lol