Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Are They Mad? £917.12 For A Service?

Felix

I have been through a few Lexus.

But this time I am even stocked. Called B'ham to book my 53 IS200SE Auto for a 56K service.

"Since it is a 60K service, and it's a major service, we are offering your 10% off on parts and 15% on labour MIR. That is a total £917.12 SIR"

I wasn't sure if I heard it right till she said that again.

Timing belt is the only thing extra they do in this 60K service, tell me if I am wrong.

Mad.....

I have been through a few Lexus.

But this time I am even stocked. Called B'ham to book my 53 IS200SE Auto for a 56K service.

"Since it is a 60K service, and it's a major service, we are offering your 10% off on parts and 15% on labour MIR. That is a total £917.12 SIR"

I wasn't sure if I heard it right till she said that again.

Timing belt is the only thing extra they do in this 60K service, tell me if I am wrong.

Mad.....

Take a look HERE and you'll see that what you've been quoted is about right for a Lexus dealer. Try a good independent, should be a bit cheaper

that is rediculas mate!

however to change the cambelt on mine they quoted me nearly 500 notes!

i decided to go local and had it done for half the price including parts!

i love the lexus and i love everthing about them but i must admit there customer service is b**lox!

slightly off topic but i once rang up about my alarm going off in the middle of the night and they tried charging me nearl 700 quid to insulate the earth wire in the roof lining, i rang a local alarm specilaist and he said not a problem mate u can turn the interior sensors down, give me 25 quid!

sorry to say but they are a joke with quotes!

glad I am normal.... he he he.....

last time I did a service on my RX cost 700 and a bit, I thought that was Fxxxing expensive.

seems from now on will be ind only

thanks guys

i love the lexus and i love everthing about them but i must admit there customer service is b**lox!

Can't agree with that statement. I think that compared with most other makes the Lexus customer service is, in most instances, one of the best around, at least in my experience over the last 6 years of owning one. If you mean that their prices for servicing and parts are more expensive than other makes then I would agree with you there.

Also, because Lexus cars are generally more reliable dealers have to charge more for servicing and parts since they don't get much money out of doing repairs - or is that me just being cynical??? :whistling:

Agree with atce4 there- Lexus customer service is fantanstic compared to Merc/BMW etc (I've owned my IS200 for nearly 7 years now), but the quotes (for servicing) are expensive. However, I find prices for parts reasonable, a bit more than patterned part prices, but I do like to fit OEM parts to my IS200, even though it is 9 years old.

I was quoted £500 back in 2007 by Lexus Leeds for a cambelt change. As my car was out of warranty, I decided to buy OEM parts from Lexus and I did the cambelt change myself (with a helping hand from my uncle- he's a mechanic).

OP- you should be aiming to pay £250-£350 for a cambelt change at a good local garage.

hi mate, recently we were booking our mk1 gs300 sport in for an mot. she sed £57 i said forget it, she said why can u get it cheaper? i said yes, my local garage is £27, she said hang on 1 second, then agreed to £27 without any input from me, she just dropped it £30 straight away.

i would explain to them u have been going to them for a while. u want loyalty discount. and also say u have rang other dealers and they are far cheaper.

give that a go btw, u may be surprised with the fluctuation between dealers.

cheers Anuj

...Also, because Lexus cars are generally more reliable, dealers have to charge more for servicing and parts since they don't get much money out of doing repairs - or is that me just being cynical?
There may be more truth in that than you think.

My old man always had Fords (starting with a "sit-up-and-beg" Ford Pop in 1953), until he bought a Toyota Cressida in 1977. Coincidentally, Toyota's service manager had been Ford's service manager for years, so my father knew him very well (15 years of buying Zodiac, Zephyr 6, Zephyr 6, Cortina, Corsair, Cortina, and Granada from that particular dealer had made him very well-acquainted with the Service Department :)). Every time he had the Cressida serviced, the manager would complain that his department made no money, because all they ever did was servicing... no repairs.

thanks guys, interesting reading....

the way forward for me:

Get IS serviced by a ind for 100, get the OME cambelt parts 120. labour 150

total: 370

I don't think the the stamp worth anything nowadays.

P.S. once my brand new MB E-class (company car) got service by the MB Bham, returned with totally no oil in it.

Just got a quote from Lexus in Belfast for a 60,000 mile service £249 all in. Extra £40 if i'd like to have the brake fluid changed.

Hard to find an independant over here that will be less than that.

You serious mate? That's a cracking price! A set of OEM iridium spark plugs are about £60, how can Lexus Belfast do a major service for £249 all in?

Expect a list of additional work required- "You need new brake discs and pads, sir"- or am I being cynical???

Just got a quote from Lexus in Belfast for a 60,000 mile service £249 all in. Extra £40 if i'd like to have the brake fluid changed.

Hard to find an independant over here that will be less than that.

That's not including the cambelt surely?

That's still pretty cheap though :)

They told me that they cut their prices way down to keep owners like myself coming back to them. Anyhow thats not including the belts...last year the water pump was weeping a little so i got the belts changed while getting a new pump.

Perhaps a 60,000 mile service for an IS220d or 250 would be back up to daft prices.

I have had a service off Lexus Belfast before and got treated like a king...even after i turned their 'wee' list of thinks they would like to replace; down.

Just recently replaced the pads and discs myself.

hi mate, recently we were booking our mk1 gs300 sport in for an mot. she sed £57 i said forget it, she said why can u get it cheaper? i said yes, my local garage is £27, she said hang on 1 second, then agreed to £27 without any input from me, she just dropped it £30 straight away.

i would explain to them u have been going to them for a while. u want loyalty discount. and also say u have rang other dealers and they are far cheaper.

give that a go btw, u may be surprised with the fluctuation between dealers.

cheers Anuj

current mot price is £57.40 if i remember correctly. This price is set out by VOSA and is the standard price. garages are entitled to offer a discount on this price to allow for local compatition between garages. Anyone can ask for a discount weather they get one is a different matter lol. As for servicing and timing belts i have mentoned many times that personally i think some of you pay way too much for servicing and repairs i just today did a service on a 53 plate 200 was under £100 didnt need plugs as it had them last service i quoted for clutch and timing belt to be change both jobs together was less than £450 including vat. I am suggesting these prices as a guide of what garages in my area are charging and not offering my services to memebers unless they are already customers of mine which there are a few on here.

They told me that they cut their prices way down to keep owners like myself coming back to them. Anyhow thats not including the belts...last year the water pump was weeping a little so i got the belts changed while getting a new pump.

Perhaps a 60,000 mile service for an IS220d or 250 would be back up to daft prices.

I have had a service off Lexus Belfast before and got treated like a king...even after i turned their 'wee' list of thinks they would like to replace; down.

Just recently replaced the pads and discs myself.

I just phoned Lexus Aberdeen to get my 2004 IS200 serviced. It's only got 55K on the clock but is due 1 year service (I don't do many miles) so I thought I'd get the 60K service over and done with. Anyway - here's the painful bit. They quoted me £400.00 inc parts, labour and VAT - I thought that was okay but then I asked if it included the belt change - it doesn't and they want another £450.00 for that and more if I want the tensioner done as well!!! So They're talking £850.00+ and I need it MOT'd as well. Where's the Christmas spirit!

Anyone know of a good alternative in the Aberdeen/ Aberdeenshire area?

Cheers

J

Try a Toyota dealer instead, there labour charges are half that of Lexus, same parts, usually same workshop and technicians even if it's one those shared type dealers, my dad's done it with his on several occasions, got a price at the Lexus service desk, walked 50 yards over the forecourt to the toyota dealer and the labour cost was half, even though they share they share the same workshop.

I paid the guts of £900 last year for a service, water pump, belts and a tensioner. Mad money!

Hi I'm new on here and I think its the labour hourly rate that jacks up the service costs;I've put a deposit on a 2003 IS200 sport cross which has had to go to the main dealer with the key issues the supplying dealer can't sort. While I was there I got them to check the history and advise as it is due 50000 mile service ;quote, due to the age we would advise the 60000 service £539 + timing belt and tensioner £379 .I do all my own servicing so its not a problem for me but I would advise you to find a small independent dealer who is ' hands on ' and takes a pride on running a well supervised workshop. Personal recommendation is a good guide. (2 days to go to get my Lex )

Just booked my baby in for a service on Tuesday, a well known mobile machinic very very good and lives 4 doors up from my missus.

£130 for oil filter, new oil, cleaning spark plug as they cost me abit and dont want to replace them yet, fitting Mintex brake pads (already purchased), balance & traking plus all other usual checks!!

Think ive got a good deal :)

pp

www.goodgaragescheme.co.uk. Try this web site if your looking for a good indie in your area. Indipendantly run web site for indie garages with feed back from real customers. The customers fill in report sheets and send them to the people that run the web site, not to the garage. Find a garage in your area then read the feedback about them, just like when buying from eBay, you get to see how the seller or garage in this case does bussiness.

so sorry. that kills me to hear how much they charge.... i work for Toyota in Sweden so buying a Lexus is200 was a good think as parts are cheap for me.... got my service done for 50 pounds with everything changed. my big one is coming in a year but that's going to set me back about 200 pounds.. try a Toyota garage or as they say a nice little garage that prides them self on good workmanship