Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Dont You Like About Your Ls ?

:D Hi we all go on about how great these cars are, so what would make them better.

I will start it off

For me I would have prefered if they had put the fuel tank under the floor to allow the back seats to fold forward, giving more load space when needed, the spare could sit upright to one side as in a vauxhall omega.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Putting the starter motor between the Vee of the engine under the inlet manifold.

Apparently it was put here so the noise level on starting was reduced,personally ( after repairing mine) I could have put up with 3 seconds of starter motor noise with it mounted conventionally on the gearbox bell housing.

- Needs more headroom (for me anyway)

- The boot is small in context to the rest of the car

- The steering is too light and had little feel

- The throttle is way too sensitive and has taken me 2 years to get used to a truly smooth start

- The trip computer lies to make you feel good. The "REAL" MPG (worked out with a tank to tank and calculator) is never anywhere near as good!

- When raining the boot lid directs the water straight into the boot - Nice!

Other than that............it's perfect!

- The throttle is way too sensitive and has taken me 2 years to get used to a truly smooth start

- The trip computer lies to make you feel good. The "REAL" MPG (worked out with a tank to tank and calculator) is never anywhere near as good!

More headroom? You must be like 7ft tall? :)

I'm 6'6' and there's plenty (with the seat lowered)

Maybe the MKIV is lower :unsure:

Anywaysss...I can't think of anything except the obvious like power steering leak, illumination issues etc

Anywaysss...I can't think of anything except the obvious like power steering leak, illumination issues etc

Have you got a sunroof Ruud?

yes, I do

yes, I do

Hmmmm - That's odd - I'm 6'3 (albeit much longer in the body than the leg) and I really struggle. I have heard the 430 is better. I just cannot work out how you can be that tall and fit!

Shame you're not a bit closer so that I could show you what I mean.............

1. 1. The way the tilt function of the sunroof works - in that the lined panel doesn't go with it. Therefore your (bald) head is exposed to the sun whether you like it or not. (Mk2 Granada sunroof was better.)
  2. 2. Passenger-side vanity mirror doesn't illuminate. I suspect this is because they took to an extreme the ruling that it's illegal to show a white light to the rear of the vehicle.
  3. 3. There's a lot of dismantling to do just to change a rear light bulb. (German-market versions are easier, according to the book. Makes you wonder why they couldn't all be made easy.)
  4. 4. Omission of high-level stop light on UK versions.
  5. 5. The lack of footrest for your RIGHT foot (that you might want with the cruise control on).
  6. 6. You get a visual indication that the rear fog lights are on but not the front.
  7. 7. Heater control buttons too small and hard to identify without looking.
  8. 8. Door lock levers say 'lock' instead of 'locked' when they're locked.
  9. 9. Seat-recline mechanism is under-engineered
    10. FM radio has US-standard de-emphasis, making it sound dull and muffled on the UK broadcast system.

All this applies to the 1st gen model, some of these issues may well have been sorted for later versions.

Anyone in agreement/disagreement?

yes, I do

Hmmmm - That's odd - I'm 6'3 (albeit much longer in the body than the leg) and I really struggle. I have heard the 430 is better. I just cannot work out how you can be that tall and fit!

Shame you're not a bit closer so that I could show you what I mean.............

Maybe it's because I drive in quite a reclining way? :) I don't have the back of the seat in the upright position if you know what I mean.

1. 1. The way the tilt function of the sunroof works - in that the lined panel doesn't go with it. Therefore your (bald) head is exposed to the sun whether you like it or not. (Mk2 Granada sunroof was better.)
  2. 2. Passenger-side vanity mirror doesn't illuminate. I suspect this is because they took to an extreme the ruling that it's illegal to show a white light to the rear of the vehicle.
  3. 3. There's a lot of dismantling to do just to change a rear light bulb. (German-market versions are easier, according to the book. Makes you wonder why they couldn't all be made easy.)
  5. 5. The lack of footrest for your RIGHT foot (that you might want with the cruise control on).
  6. 6. You get a visual indication that the rear fog lights are on but not the front.
    10. FM radio has US-standard de-emphasis, making it sound dull and muffled on the UK broadcast system.

All this applies to the 1st gen model, some of these issues may well have been sorted for later versions.

I didn't know about 2) as on mine it does and 4) as mine has one but it is JDM spec

1. It's about 50bhp underpowered

2. Only sold with an auto

3. Needs toyota only o2 sensors and transmission fluid

3. The steering rack is godawful slow... feels like I'm steering a bus

Apart from that it's by far the best car I've ever owned

By the time Series 4 ......

Mirror lights up.

High level light there.

Indication for BOTH Fog lights.

Heater buttons OK (?)

Seats adjust all ways.

But radio poor really, unlike the CD side which produces a great quality sound.

And.....who REALLY needs Manual gear change? This is the 21st century!

I find it SO easy to drive. Even the steering you adjust to.

• A trip computer would have been nice (none on the Mk2 or Mk3).
  • Lights/wipers are the wrong way around, every time I drive a different car I end up wiping the windscreen with the indicators & waving the wipers at anyone I want to let through or in in front.... (fixed from '95 AIUI)
  • A slightly squashier seat. I end up with a sore bum after about 2hrs driving.
  • CD player up-front would have been more friendly (fixed in the Mk3)
  • Erm, that's about it.

adjustable wings on the driver'seat. I guess it's designed for fat CEOs, but because it's so broad slimmer people roll around. I did have a car once that allowed you to adjust the side supports and it was very comfortable.

Electric for seat heating and air for seat cooling (yet to try the latter of course)

seat massager on driver's seat instead of only the back seats. Similarly refrigeration box in centre front console for cold drinks instead of only in the back

Tyre pressure monitors (I know they are on later models)

Agree about the right footrest

More anchor points in the boot

..... sounds critical but I'm not - I love the car

Mike

1. A rear screen wiper would save me having to wipe the mist off every morning and clear the rain if it has been standing or traveling slow.

1. Equal: More substantial boards in trunk floor, mine collapsed into the rear wings!

2. More headroom. I drive sat up straight, alert and able to see better. My hair rubs on the headlining. Seat at lowest setting.

3. The Steering wheel could have a movement override.

4. Alternator over P/S pump.

5. Starter more conveniently placed.

6. Simpler tracking so it can be done cheaper.

7. Better quality alloys re. paint.

8. Jacking points that don't compress the plastic sill panels.

9. Rain dripping in when trunk lid is opened.

10. Better quality gas struts.

11. Less exploitative agents.

12. Equal parts prices with Toyota.

13. No grit traps behind the rear wheels.

14. Less spray if you are following one.

15. Ridiculously priced brake wear sensor that could be repaired with a short plug in length of wire. £55.00 repair 20p

16. Even better MPG :)

• A trip computer would have been nice (none on the Mk2 or Mk3).
  • Lights/wipers are the wrong way around, every time I drive a different car I end up wiping the windscreen with the indicators & waving the wipers at anyone I want to let through or in in front.... (fixed from '95 AIUI)
  • A slightly squashier seat. I end up with a sore bum after about 2hrs driving.
  • CD player up-front would have been more friendly (fixed in the Mk3)
  • Erm, that's about it.

I have a mk2 with trip a/b computer....so do you mean the estimated mileage nonsense that vauxhalls have etc??

You dont need them. You should be able to tell by the fuel gauge that you need to fill up soon!!!

The trip computers are rubbish in all cars..average mpg etc, estimated zero miles left when you really have 20-30...

A light foot = fatter wallet, orange light = you should have filled up by now.....simple

Do you know i've never ever found out the mpg on any car i've owned....whats the point really? so we can work out what kerbstone we will run out of fuel at? Do we work out how much meals will cost on our weekend trip? no we just pay the bill, its the same with fuel unless you own 50 artics

Im dont wanna sound patronising cos im not, i've just never understood the need to know down to the penny...Anything over a 1.1 means its a small bill, 2.0L means a bigger bill and anything like 2.5i or a turbo or 4.0L V8 means very thirsty.

Blame europe for the indicator/wiper arm switch.....even other Lexus have swapped sides now and yes it is annoying

Cd player is now in front in mk3 b'cos mk2's multichanger keeps breaking (receipts for 4 units with mine before the 6yrs i had it)

So my only issues are.....

Crap aerial reception for the excellent sound system...

Squeaky brakes (caliper overhaul, new pads with shims and copper grease and it still is very noisy)

Seats....im 5'10 or 11 and i find my seat wont sit high or square enough...i always seem to be slumped after ten mins and it can start to make my leg or back ache after a long drive...I even thought about a cushion once :unsure:

Prices are not discounted for 'common faults'...

I also think they should discount prices for these older models anyway, so that more folk can keep them on the road longer, therefore improving the name and impressing future owners by how long the cars keep going for.....or is that b'cos im facing some bills this year??

Its so well built that a re-spray costs a fortune

The RAC got my keys out and bent my door frame...i cant get it back right so my LS has wind noise :shutit:

:D Hi we all go on about how great these cars are, so what would make them better.

I will start it off

For me I would have prefered if they had put the fuel tank under the floor to allow the back seats to fold forward, giving more load space when needed, the spare could sit upright to one side as in a vauxhall omega.

I agree with you Mark. The MKIV should have fold down seats at least even if the previous models did not. Apart from that, Perfect!!

Can't change front and rear suspension bushes without changing whole suspension assemblies, at predictably huge cost.

Top of the Morning to you nonplussed, Sir. What sort of typical parts and labour costs are we talking about here?

Can't change front and rear suspension bushes without changing whole suspension assemblies, at predictably huge cost.

As my Mk 3 has just failed her MOT on rear lower suspension bushes and 3 garages have tried to locate said bushes without success I have to agree with this - My only option is to buy complete assemblies from Lexus at £305 plus fitting.

It beggars belief that no one has been able to find a set of bushes - if it was a Cizeta Moroder I might have understood but this not a particularly rare vehicle really.

As my Mk 3 has just failed her MOT on rear lower suspension bushes and 3 garages have tried to locate said bushes without success I have to agree with this - My only option is to buy complete assemblies from Lexus at £305 plus fitting.

It beggars belief that no one has been able to find a set of bushes - if it was a Cizeta Moroder I might have understood but this not a particularly rare vehicle really.

Hi you can get the bushes off of eBay for £50 a side, the bloke who sells them will also fit them for you if your local.

• 4 weeks later...

my radio in my sereis one sounds rely good not sure on what you mean about your radio being bad on fm