Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Dont You Like About Your Ls ?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far only four minor complaints:

- hate the way the horn sounds.

- hate the way the car handles in the snow (but will get Autosocks).

- hate the fact that the aerial pops up even when I am not listening to the radio.

- hate the fact that the steering wheel ups and downs every time you switch on/off.

The aerial will, no doubt, result in an expensive repair (previous owner, according to the Lexus invoice paid just under £250 to have it replaced). The steering wheel problem will also cost an arm and a leg (or both) to fix and, since it activates before the engine is running, it could drain that little bit of electricity that might be needed to start the car (I do have a new Battery now, but on a very cold day, etc.)

If those remain my only complaints I can easily live with them and the car is otherwise brilliant.

I have a mk2 with trip a/b computer....so do you mean the estimated mileage nonsense that vauxhalls have etc??

You dont need them. You should be able to tell by the fuel gauge that you need to fill up soon!!!

The trip computers are rubbish in all cars..average mpg etc, estimated zero miles left when you really have 20-30...

A light foot = fatter wallet, orange light = you should have filled up by now.....simple

Do you know i've never ever found out the mpg on any car i've owned....whats the point really? so we can work out what kerbstone we will run out of fuel at? Do we work out how much meals will cost on our weekend trip? no we just pay the bill, its the same with fuel unless you own 50 artics

Im dont wanna sound patronising cos im not, i've just never understood the need to know down to the penny...Anything over a 1.1 means its a small bill, 2.0L means a bigger bill and anything like 2.5i or a turbo or 4.0L V8 means very thirsty.

The one on my E36 325 BMW worked fanstastically. For me personally, If I know I have a 50 mile trip to do, it is handy to know if I have enough fuel to make it or if I need to refuel first. I prefer to put as much fuel in at each fill up, as I fill up 3 times a week as it is, and get fed up of standing on garage forecourts. The orange light on my GS comes on when there is probably around 4 gallons left, but that doesn't stop the paranoia setting in that I am about to run out any second.

I've only had mine for 2 months, and the only thing I don't like is the ride quality. The car tramlines on irregular road surfaces, and twitches when i hit a pothole (it has a worn rear upper control arm bush which will be getting replaced, so it may be cured). It feels like the springing and damping have not been properly thought out - it is however considerably better when car is laden. I am considering replacing the 245/50 x17's with 235/55 x17's to see if this helps, and this should also solve the speedo accuracy because at present an indicated 75 is 70.

It is not as bad in the snow as I had been LED to believe - not been stuck at all so far unlike a merc 190E I had years ago - it couldn't even move off on the flat.

Pete

I've only had mine for 2 months, and the only thing I don't like is the ride quality. The car tramlines on irregular road surfaces, and twitches when i hit a pothole (it has a worn rear upper control arm bush which will be getting replaced, so it may be cured). It feels like the springing and damping have not been properly thought out - it is however considerably better when car is laden. I am considering replacing the 245/50 x17's with 235/55 x17's to see if this helps, and this should also solve the speedo accuracy because at present an indicated 75 is 70.

It is not as bad in the snow as I had been led to believe - not been stuck at all so far unlike a merc 190E I had years ago - it couldn't even move off on the flat.

Pete

Hi 225/55/17s are the tyres you need 235s are too big on a 55 profile. 225/55/17 gives the same rolling radius as the 225/60/16s fitted as standard. ta Mark

It is not as bad in the snow as I had been led to believe - not been stuck at all so far unlike a merc 190E I had years ago - it couldn't even move off on the flat.

Pete

Hi 225/55/17s are the tyres you need 235s are too big on a 55 profile. 225/55/17 gives the same rolling radius as the 225/60/16s fitted as standard. ta Mark

I use this site for comparisons between wheel/tyre combinations. http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg2.html

A 235/55x17 gives a reading of 71.39 when speedo indicates 70. As the speedo currently over reads, then fitting this tyre combo should go some way to correct it - assuming there are no physical problems by using a higher profile.

Pete

Funnny you should say that... On the Saturday before Xmas I had to make a 40-mile trip, the last ten miles being on white, shiny roads with the temp at -5ºC. It was not enjoyable.

However, as I approached my car when I came to leave this venue (it was Oxburgh Hall), I saw a four cylinder two-wheel drive Audi having great difficulty in moving off and I feared getting stuck. But putting the old girl into gear, and not touching the throttle at all, we exited without any discernable slip. (Mine is a '96 without traction control.)

I was quite surprised - not to mention relieved - and then I remembered that multi-cylinder cars have better traction. When the Cosworth V8 was the dominant engine in F1, the V12 Ferraris and BRMs often used to win when it was wet (e.g. Beltoise at Monaco in 1972).

I expect the V16 Bugatti Veyron might be quite good in the snow. Provided it is less than 5mm deep and that you disconnect the throttle entirely.

What I hate most about my beautiful car is that it gets me into trouble!

3 points today for a slip up in speed on the local empty dual carriage way.

I drove for about 6 miles with the cruiser on my tail steady at seventy but he had clocked me earlier at 94.8 and I genuinely was not trying to zoom. Just wafting, as you do!

A fair cop and a very pleasant one at that. Thank God I have no points to my name!

I am going to have to give the old girl a good talking to tomorrow. :huh:

The electrics on the 430 can be a bit Aston Martin Lagonda, not the stuff that came from the older versions, but the new stuff like the sat nav and the auto wipers.

The Dumflop tyres on mine are lethal in the snow and ice, the Pirellis on my old 400 were 10 times better.

The seatbelt isnt easy to get hold of, but that may be just how its set.

The boot doesnt lift and close electrically, and its heavy.

The air con pipes run outside the car underneath, and are not weather proofed like the brake pipes, so they rot and cost a fortune to replace.

Mines a 2002, so the styling is a bit froggish.

Its also dark blue, which is a colour mixed by satan because he enjoys watching me trying to keep it clean.

However...

When you get up behind a lorry doing 40 MPH, and you spot that gap that is just big enough, the shove in your back when you floor it makes all those complaints go away.

As does the never ending laugh that you get when some boy racer tries to beat an "old mans" car away from the lights, in his 1.2 nova.

I love my LS but I do have a couple of things I wish they had added.

1 A self dipping N/S mirror when reverse is selected.

2 Heavier duty front suspension.

Plus another few minor things that are most people would think I'm being picky, but it's the best car I have owned for years.

I agree with some of the points made before, but I cant fathom why:

On my MkIV when I just want to turn the screen off in the MENU page - I have to hit the disclaimer!

Reversing sensors are high on the list too.

I'd like more power. I always want more power so this is in no way a criticism of the car.

:)

And nicer alloys. I'm not a fan of the factory ones and I've yet to see a set which aren't peeling.

I'm not sure what the folks complaining about the audio are complaining about? The Mk3 and the Mk4 seem to have nice audio. The Mk4 I had the audio was fantastic.

I think the audio is brilliant I have to agree, especially the sub woofer which seems to add another dimension to some music. However I have a series 4 and I have to say that the fm radio does seem to lack crispness for some reason.

To be honest I have only had my LS for a just over a month so I am still loving it and haven't found anything I don't like as such, only some things I wish it had.

Miss having parking sensors, you don't realise how useful they are until you don't have them.

Wire heated front screen (patented by Ford I'm told) which used to clear ice and snow in an instant in my old Scorpio Cossie.

Steering wheel controls for the audio .

Nice chrome tail pipes (I will add aftermarket ones soon), the tail pipes seem to be hidden on mine and I would quite like anybody pulling up behind me to see that I have two. Sad I know!

All this was standard on my Scorpio which was the same age as my Lexus, so a little surprised to see it missing.

Brilliant car though and a great feat of engineering (something the Scorpio lacks) and I cannot imagine driving any other car. First time I have owned a car where I haven't found myself hankering after something different.

To be honest I have only had my LS for a just over a month so I am still loving it...

After 5½ years, I am still loving my Mk 3. Believe it or not, I still get mildy surprised as to how smooth & quiet it is!

To be honest I have only had my LS for a just over a month so I am still loving it...

After 5½ years, I am still loving my Mk 3. Believe it or not, I still get mildy surprised as to how smooth & quiet it is!

ive only owned my mk1 for approx 2 mounths miss a trip computer even my old sd1 had one ot these mine drives great in the snow have not got it stuck yet. only problem is the cd changer in the boot is giving me problems prefer it over my mk2 granny but no where near as much fun as my 300zx but i love big lazy crusing cars

I read a great deal about how bad the LS400s were in the snow and I was quite concerned, but in fact, up to now, in snow- mode and with a gentle right foot, it has done as well, if not better, than my f.w.d. VW Passat - I couldn't say whether this was because the Passat did very poorly or the Lexus did very well!? I am sure it would have done lots better with tires other than Pirellis.

I read a great deal about how bad the LS400s were in the snow and I was quite concerned, but in fact, up to now, in snow- mode and with a gentle right foot, it has done as well, if not better, than my f.w.d. VW Passat - I couldn't say whether this was because the Passat did very poorly or the Lexus did very well!? I am sure it would have done lots better with tires other than Pirellis.

Are the Pirellis not good then? Mine came with a brand new set of them so I have no point of reference as to whether they are any good or not. Won't be changing them for some time yet I hope but will switch brands when I do if there is something better.

Are the Pirellis not good then? Mine came with a brand new set of them so I have no point of reference as to whether they are any good or not. Won't be changing them for some time yet I hope but will switch brands when I do if there is something better.

I had a set on mine when I bought it, they wore out vey quickly & I didnt find them to be to good in the wet, on michelins now for summer & continentals for the winter (winter tyres), I find the michelins better overall only a bit more road noise.

This is the second car I've bought with Pirellis on it and now I remember why I got rid of them. Would also agree that Michelins and Contis are good; also Bridgestone.

This is the second car I've bought with Pirellis on it and now I remember why I got rid of them. Would also agree that Michelins and Contis are good; also Bridgestone.

Thanks for the info Mark and Gen. Must admit I find that I find the car feels unbalanced, as though it will understeer if pushed in the wet so maybe it's the tyres?? I assumed it was just because it is such a BIG car... I can get a good deal on Micelins and Bridgestone so maybe thats what I'll go for next.

I have a MK 1V LS400.

For me its the position of the armrest ( too low ) and window ledge is too high.

The drivers seat doesn't go back far enough .

Stereo was not future proofed ( would love to upgrade to a MP3 system )

Final sweep on windscreen wash drives me mad ( especially with all this salt on the road at the moment )

Crap quality of alloy wheels ( lacquer )

Apart from that its spot on.

I love my car and can only fault it on

a) I would prefer front fogs in the spoiler, rather than adjacent to the headlight.

B) Whilst I enjoy wafting along on the magic carpet, there are times when I would like a firmer ride (esp. when cornering at speed).

Steve

I love my car too, and the 400 I had before. I love that nothing ever goes wrong. But any car will experience wear of course, and what I don't like so much is how expensive anything is if it does need replacing or fixing.

Latest example: my 430 was in for a service this week, and I mentioned that the floor mat in the driver position was loose. It clips via a little plastic thing into an eyelet on the main carpet and the eyelet had come out. The only fix, according to Lexus, is a complete replacement of the carpet throughout the car. Total cost, including VAT, well over £1,000! I decided to live with the loose mat . . .

To be fair it's not really a complaint, because I do accept it goes to a large extent with the durability/quality angle. Actually I thought it was very funny (I burst out laughing in my office when they gave me the quote) and I just thought I would share it with you all.

Chris

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links