Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Clutch? What Millage Is Recomended To Change It

Clutch mileage change depends soley on driving style. A to test a clutch drive normally then in third put your foot down hard if the revs go up and the car doesnt speed up chances are your clutch is gone, this is the signs of slipping.

As for the fly wheel unless its a dual mass flywheel (pretty certain its not) why change it. Wouldnt think it has a dual mass flywheel as the engine doesnt have tons of torgue. Most modren diesels have them but, like i said i be suprised if the is has one. Personally i know my is is on its original clutch and has 145,000 ish on the clock. Then again my neighbour has a fiesta with 8,ooo on it and i personally have put 3 clutches in it and the dealers did one when it was new. Like i mentioned depends on driving style if you ride the clutch it wont last as long. If you do lots of motorway mileage you wont press your clutch for mile after mile so no wear on the clutch for lots of miles.

Very suprised its a dual mass flywheel, never actually done an is200 clutch so never actually had one in hand. Will check the specs tomorow but acording to LUK a dual mass should have no more than 30mm of free rotation. I was on a dual mass fly wheel course early last year lol. i hadnt even heard of them before that buts theres millions of them out there according to LUK.

I have come across lots of them in the last year i know the vauxhall zafira on is in excess of £200. The one ford uses in the tranny van and mondoe falls apart very easily Luk now even do a solid mass on to replace them.

I also know that alot of clutch manufactures now do a 4 piece kit, presure plate, friction plate, bearing and flywheel all in one box.

If the fly wheel has gone you normally get a less then smooth idle as the mass of the flywheel doesnt rotate evenly simular sort of thing when a road wheel isnt balanced. you just get a funny vibe.

Had a is200 in today for service and lacking power. The power loss is due to a slipping clutch. Priced the clutch from 3 diffrent supliers 2 said they didnt list a dualmass one said they didnt but their supplier didnt have one and they had never sold one. The car stayed in over night tonight customer is collecting it in the morning. I am fully boked wioth work until middle of next week but would imagine by this time next week i will be doing the clutch. So by this time next week i hopefully would of had a the gearbox out of an is 200 and can then confirm for sure if the is 200 has a dual mass fly wheel or not. i will post again when i know for certain.

Just to add the car is a 53 plate and has only done 21k so theres an example of how quick you can burn out a clutch.

• 4 weeks later...
Had a is200 in today for service and lacking power. The power loss is due to a slipping clutch. Priced the clutch from 3 diffrent supliers 2 said they didnt list a dualmass one said they didnt but their supplier didnt have one and they had never sold one. The car stayed in over night tonight customer is collecting it in the morning. I am fully boked wioth work until middle of next week but would imagine by this time next week i will be doing the clutch. So by this time next week i hopefully would of had a the gearbox out of an is 200 and can then confirm for sure if the is 200 has a dual mass fly wheel or not. i will post again when i know for certain.

Just to add the car is a 53 plate and has only done 21k so theres an example of how quick you can burn out a clutch.

any luck fil4362

thanks

the owner has gone away for christmas mate hes booked infor sometime in the new year will post as soon as i get my hands on one. Thats if i can get one only one of my suplliers says it duel mass and they havent got one any way. So still not certain i know there is a dual mass for the lexus i saw a second hand one for sale on eBay the other day but the picture didnt look like a dmf to me.

100% duel mass,to buy the flywheel alone with a lexus/toyota part will cost approx £800 unless your in the trade then its approx £600.thats just for the part!!!!!

100% duel mass,to buy the flywheel alone with a lexus/toyota part will cost approx £800 unless your in the trade then its approx £600.thats just for the part!!!!!

or you could buy it from me for a lot less.

Not disputing it is lads just saying my usual suppliers cant get one although only one of them actually list it.

Who makes them for Lexus anyone know???

I cant really see the need of having one an the lexus the engine isnt really powerfull enough to actually need one. You should be able to get enough springing into the friction plate therefore not needing a dmf. Will take your words for it. I know there are millions out there on cars so it wouldnt suprise me if Lexus has one just never done one yet on a Lexus and knowing the perpouse of them cant see why one is needed on a Lexus.

If a toyota mechanic says they got one then they got one i guess.

Power and torque is nothing to do with needing a dual mass flywheel - in any case you wouldn't want one on a really powerful engine because you would just rip it apart. It is just there to damp out vibrations from the crank shaft to make for smoother progress. The IS does definitely have one just incase anyone is still in doubt...

The dual mass fly wheel is all about power and torque. Its also about damping engine vibration throught the drive train The damping force your talking about is usually taken up by the damping springs in the friction plate. When the engine has lots of torque you cannot put enough springing into the friction plate so they use one long spring around the edge of the duel mass flywheel (internally). So the dual mass is all about giving a smoth take of like you state. It also smooths out the power from the more torque produced from powerfull engines. Another reason why the Lex shouldnt really need oneits a 6 pot engine wich is pretty smooth anyway. Its mainly 4 pot diesels with big power strokes that have a dmf

I have attended an LUK training course on dmf as when i first heard about them i didnt have a clue so booked myself on the course.

The whole perpouse of the dmf is to dampen the engine torque and vibration when they manufacturer cant get enough springing into the standard and usual place, which is the friction plate. Luk was the first company in europe to develope the DMF.

Just out of interest a Transit van has a dmf but you can now buy a solid state flywheel as a direct replacement. they fly wheel falls into to parts. And the mondeo diesel has the same engine and gearbox set up so same problem. The new gold diesel has one as does the vauxhall range of diesels. Infact i havent come across one on a petrol at all YET. which is why i was suprized when i was told the Lexus has one. The fact still remains 2 out of 3 of my suppliers who supply me Luk parts dont list one for the Lexus, and the one that does has never supplied one and couldnt get me one anyway. Neither of the suppliers have are one shop places and they are very realey wrong. If ormi says they have one then like i sauid before they have one hes the Toyota mechanic after all.

http://www.luk.com/content.luk.de/en/produ...new/zms_new.jsp have a look on that site for more details on dmf

It is about the magnitude of variation in torque, particularly in proportion to the total output, and not just the total torque output. You will also notice that the springs in the clutch plate protect the drivetrain from the clutchplate onwards, and in anycase, they are purely sprung, and not damped. The DMF, as well as furthering the efforts of the clutch plate springs, is also able to protect the crankshaft by reducing the fluctuating torsional loadings that would be incurred if the crank was just connected directly to a heavy flywheel. The DMF also has a damping element, to stop the sprung part of the flywheel from getting into resonance, and also allows the various resonant frequencies of the crank to be tuned away from the operating speeds of the engine.

And yes, a torquey engine will probably have a higher magnitude of torque variation, particularly diesels which tend to produce more torque and so must have pistons pushing down onto the crank with more force, but this is not a given. A low power engine (particularly the current crop of three cylinder units about today) can still have a relatively large variation, especially when you take it into proportion against the total output, and so they will benefit from a DMF. At the end of the day, DMFs mainly came about with an aim to improving NVH levels, irrespective of engine power.

A car with a dmf doesnt have springs in the friction plate the dmf supplies all the springing required. I have fitted many dmf now and have never had one which still retains the springing in the friction plate.

And i agree that the variation in torque out put of the 3 cyliner engines will need more damping there fore a 6 cylinder engine will require less damping which re enforces my reason for the Lexus not to require one. The smoother 6 cylinder engine souldnt require one.

Am am pretty certain i have now agreed with the point the Lexus has a dmf i never disagreed that it didnt i just pointed out that i didnt see the point in it having one. Every reason you have pointed out what the dmf is used for is exactly why the Lexus, with low torgue and smooth power frequencey, shouldnt need one. Its a very expensive part to put on an engine which shoudl be smooth enough without one.