Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all. When travelling at approx 85 mph in my lexus ls400 mark 3 I seem to get what i think is a rumbling from the front wheels...Before I could get the chance to try and analyse this problem, I was forced to slow down (nah nah)....Does any one know of a place where I can legally take my car to approx 90mph, or to similate this, in order to further investigage this fault further. I know this is a bit of an oddball question, but any help would be appreciated....Thank you all. For all you jokers please do not say Autoban... ... Oh ...wheels have been balanced.....Cheers.

Hi all. When travelling at approx 85 mph in my lexus ls400 mark 3 I seem to get what i think is a rumbling from the front wheels...Before I could get the chance to try and analyse this problem, I was forced to slow down (nah nah)....Does any one know of a place where I can legally take my car to approx 90mph, or to similate this, in order to further investigage this fault further. I know this is a bit of an oddball question, but any help would be appreciated....Thank you all. For all you jokers please do not say Autoban... ... Oh ...wheels have been balanced.....Cheers.

Could be a wheel bearing? jack the front of the car up, grasp the top & bottom of one of the wheels & try to push the top in & pull the bottom out; then reverse in a rocking motion. If you feel significant play (more than 1mm) chances are you have an iffy bearing.

I can't think of anything else that would cause rumble at the front. If it was the back I'd suggest you checked the diff & drive shafts & any constant velocity or universal joints.

As for legally doing 90? You're looking at a race circuit as your only reasonable legal option. Most circuits operate track days where, for about £100 or so, you can spend the day whizzing around the place to your heart's content. Until you run out of tyres, brakes, fuel or talent of course... Assuming your location of "Scotland" is accurate, Knockhill would likely be your nearest venue. Looks like there's one on Sunday, 51 quid, and if it works like they usually do you'll get 3x30 min sessions in the morning, and 3x30 min in the afternoon. Plenty of time to try out your 85mph rumble.

Alterntatively, just head out to any cameraless motorway after about 8pm; there doesn't seem to be much in the way of Plod activity after this hour - although, of course, that's no guarantee. Caveat emptor & all that.

Could be a wheel bearing? jack the front of the car up, grasp the top & bottom of one of the wheels & try to push the top in & pull the bottom out; then reverse in a rocking motion. If you feel significant play (more than 1mm) chances are you have an iffy bearing.

I can't think of anything else that would cause rumble at the front. If it was the back I'd suggest you checked the diff & drive shafts & any constant velocity or universal joints.

As for legally doing 90? You're looking at a race circuit as your only reasonable legal option. Most circuits operate track days where, for about £100 or so, you can spend the day whizzing around the place to your heart's content. Until you run out of tyres, brakes, fuel or talent of course... Assuming your location of "Scotland" is accurate, Knockhill would likely be your nearest venue. Looks like there's one on Sunday, 51 quid, and if it works like they usually do you'll get 3x30 min sessions in the morning, and 3x30 min in the afternoon. Plenty of time to try out your 85mph rumble.

Alterntatively, just head out to any cameraless motorway after about 8pm; there doesn't seem to be much in the way of Plod activity after this hour - although, of course, that's no guarantee. Caveat emptor & all that.

Hi, Tried Knockhill, unfortunately they dont do days where you can usr your own car. Will try your other advice and let you know.....Thanks everybody.....Roy.

Just go on the motorway at night, you will be @ 90mph before you know it and 2 mins later you will be off at the next junction turning around for the home run....a £60 fine + 3pts is nothing compared to thousands on repairs!!!!

I wouldn't use it on a track if there is anything wrong. The marshalls wouldnt be too happy picking you out of the gravel or a wall if anything was wrong...and besides theres too many corners to brake for at tracks..

The motorway is the way to go..or you can take it to 2 or 3 garages for fault finding...dont tell the others what the 1st garage told you etc, just say there is a noise...if all 3 tell you the same then thats more than likely the problem.

Sounds from the outside can be funny...other cars can mingle with sounds and distort them...

I thought something was wrong with mine, heard a right old whining and as i was pulling over it was the truck behind me making a noise that seemed to mix.......but i swore it was my car when i 1st heard it....it was really confusing...thats another reason why the motorway @ night is your best option 1st

Just go on the motorway at night, you will be @ 90mph before you know it and 2 mins later you will be off at the next junction turning around for the home run....a £60 fine + 3pts is nothing compared to thousands on repairs!!!!

I wouldn't use it on a track if there is anything wrong. The marshalls wouldnt be too happy picking you out of the gravel or a wall if anything was wrong...and besides theres too many corners to brake for at tracks..

The motorway is the way to go..or you can take it to 2 or 3 garages for fault finding...dont tell the others what the 1st garage told you etc, just say there is a noise...if all 3 tell you the same then thats more than likely the problem.

Sounds from the outside can be funny...other cars can mingle with sounds and distort them...

I thought something was wrong with mine, heard a right old whining and as i was pulling over it was the truck behind me making a noise that seemed to mix.......but i swore it was my car when i 1st heard it....it was really confusing...thats another reason why the motorway @ night is your best option 1st

Hi all, Well I have had the front bearings and other things checked. The mechanic says that it its very tight (Hope he meant the car) lol, and had the wheels balanced again, all four of them, so I will let you know once I have checked it. The only thing that the mechanic said was that there was slight play in the Link arm (Whatever that means) but nowhere near bad. He said that it would not fail an MOT. Hope its gone away....Thnaks.

Hi all, Well I have had the front bearings and other things checked. The mechanic says that it its very tight (Hope he meant the car) lol, and had the wheels balanced again, all four of them, so I will let you know once I have checked it. The only thing that the mechanic said was that there was slight play in the Link arm (Whatever that means) but nowhere near bad. He said that it would not fail an MOT. Hope its gone away....Thnaks.

One other thing I forgot to mention....I live on a farm, and when I go over the Cattle grid, it seems I get a slight knock from from the front passenger side, but nothing showed on inspection.....Weird???