Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Turbocharging The Is300

Hi,

I've used the search on here and my.IS. So far have found out about a lot of companies in the states who sell Turbo Kits for the IS300, but not anyone in the UK.

Obviously there is the option of fitting a 2JZ-GTE but from what I've read it's more work than fitting a Turbo kit to the 2JZ-GE.

Anyone know any tuning companies in the UK that sell Turbo Kits for the IS300, or even perhaps the 2JZ-GE (NA Supra) and I can fabricate the boost hosing.

Cheers

Hi,

I've used the search on here and my.IS. So far have found out about a lot of companies in the states who sell Turbo Kits for the IS300, but not anyone in the UK.

Obviously there is the option of fitting a 2JZ-GTE but from what I've read it's more work than fitting a Turbo kit to the 2JZ-GE.

Anyone know any tuning companies in the UK that sell Turbo Kits for the IS300, or even perhaps the 2JZ-GE (NA Supra) and I can fabricate the boost hosing.

Cheers

Hi Mate,

I have done extensive research into turbing the IS300 and there is no specific kits you can get in the UK unfortunately.

I would suggest that any of the US kits aren't that great unless you pay a lot of money i.e. for the SRT one which after import tax etc adds up!! The cheaper ones like XS power are good for a cheap power upgrade but not always very reliable, the roller bearing breaks down and the manifolds have been known to lose bits of weld inside causing damage.

There is hope - I have used SPC Horsham who did a lot of research, this year for me, and came up with a really good package (all UK sourced parts so you get that extra confidence in warranties etc) for my car which they'd be able to do to yours, as unfortunately circumstances dictated that I didn't go ahead, producing a relaible 400hp and about 370ft/lb torque. I would suggest talking to them. This route is cheaper and easier than doing an engine conversion to a GTE

There is also a dedicated site for NA to turbo the 2JZ-GE - CLICK HERE

I have quite a lot of info if you want to ask any questions.

Russell

Hi,

Cheers

Hi Mate,

I have done extensive research into turbing the IS300 and there is no specific kits you can get in the UK unfortunately.

I would suggest that any of the US kits aren't that great unless you pay a lot of money i.e. for the SRT one which after import tax etc adds up!! The cheaper ones like XS power are good for a cheap power upgrade but not always very reliable, the roller bearing breaks down and the manifolds have been known to lose bits of weld inside causing damage.

There is hope - I have used SPC Horsham who did a lot of research, this year for me, and came up with a really good package (all UK sourced parts so you get that extra confidence in warranties etc) for my car which they'd be able to do to yours, as unfortunately circumstances dictated that I didn't go ahead, producing a relaible 400hp and about 370ft/lb torque. I would suggest talking to them. This route is cheaper and easier than doing an engine conversion to a GTE

There is also a dedicated site for NA to turbo the 2JZ-GE - CLICK HERE

I have quite a lot of info if you want to ask any questions.

Russell

Thanks Russell - Glad to find another IS300 owner who wants forced induction :) Definetely think that turbocharging the 2JZ-GE is my preferred route over an engine swap.

The SRT kit is quite tempting, but I'm hesitant to purchase it as I know after shipping and import tax it'll be a very costly upgrade. Did you have an indicative price for the kit from SPC Horsham (PM if you want) - as the other option I've been looking at is buying this 2JZGE Supra Turbo and using the HKS Turbo / Manifold / HKS Gaskets and HKS FCON ECU.

I could then get someone like Pro-Alloy to fabricate the boost hosing, install an intercooler. Guessing standard injectors will need replacing and fuel pump upgrades will be necessary as well...?

One thing I didn't understand whether the Sprag Clutch Upgrade was absolutely necessary or more precautionery?

Cheers

Shah

Alright Shah

It is the way forward :) I always liked the idea of keeping the same engine in the car so it was original, hence turboing the NA. I was tempted with the SRT too, the issues were thought that above the cost of buying and importing it there is installation, there is also the probabilty of fabrication needed for the downpipe as their steering rack is the other side. There are quite a few parts that are oversized for the actually requirement of the conversion like size of injectors, turbo (which isn't named only a spec'd one etc. It is realistic that that it would be quite laggy fine if your running the strips but not for everyday use.

I would be wary of the advertised engine as I looked at one from that company before and they were saying it had been uprated internally etc because of this part attached which was all wrong as it was only a japanese gimmick, saying it balances the camshafts!! The kit supplied by SPC would be Garrett turbo, AEM management and other branded parts and all new, of course it depends on budget so if you get good prices for the other parts it would be cheaper.

It would be best to uprate the injectors and fuel pump to get the best efficiency from the engine otherwise it'll starve and you won't get most power and smooth running.

I don't think the sprag clutch is a necessity but i would definately install a transmission cooler to assist the internals of the transmission and if needs be at a later date look at a valve body upgrade, which replaces the inners of the transmission that take the fluid to each gear making greater pressure thus increasing the speed of gear changing and less pressure on the clutch!

I'll PM you list and estimated costings.

Cheers

Did you have an indicative price for the kit from SPC Horsham (PM if you want) - as the other option I've been looking at is buying this 2JZGE Supra Turbo and using the HKS Turbo / Manifold / HKS Gaskets and HKS FCON ECU.

That's the same engine as in the IS300, once it was an ordinary 2JZ-GE and just got turbocharged. :winky:

• 1 month later...

I spent a day at TDI's talking through tuning options on the IS300. The parts from the 2JZ-GE Supra engine could be utilised for my IS300, however the wiring loom for the HKS FCON VPRO wouldn't be the same and require re-wiring and by the time that cost is taken into account, it's not worth going down this custom route. Plus I cannot be sure that the exhaust manifold will clear the steering rack.

So far its the SRT Tuning Kit or SPC Horsham - both options I think are too expensive for my liking. I don't think I'm going to win here, because I could just as well sell my car and buy something already turbo charged and save myself a lot of hassle! But I'm not a defeatist. I own a 950BHP Turbo'd R33 GTR, its got power but laggy as hell, so I'm thinking about SC on the IS300. Approx 300BHP, Just get a Vortech Supercharger plus Intercooler, custom piping and an aftermarket ECU to deal with fuel/ignition timing.

In terms of aftermarket ECU's I see there are several options like Haltech, when using aftermarket management does everything else on the car still function e.g. airbags, dash etc?

• 3 weeks later...

Why do people prefer not to turbo the 2JZ GE in the IS? Is it more constrained in engine bay space, and a normal NA-T manifold won't fit? Or is it simply because people prefer to swap a GTE into an IS200 for financial reasons?

Why do people prefer not to turbo the 2JZ GE in the IS? Is it more constrained in engine bay space, and a normal NA-T manifold won't fit? Or is it simply because people prefer to swap a GTE into an IS200 for financial reasons?

Good question - I think its more expensive to swap the Supra Twin Turbo 2JZ-GTE into the IS300 over just Turbocharging the 2JZ-GE. I think the problem is that the IS300 was sold in small numbers in the UK, in comparison to the US so there is less support for it. There are plenty of Turbo Kits for the NA Supra, the feedback I got from my friend and an NA-T converted Supra is that its cheaper to start with NA and do the turbo conversion over starting with a TT.

The only issue I can see is the manifold fouling the steering rack, but I won't know till I fit one. SRT Power have a complete Turbo kit but after customs/import charges plus delivery it becomes an expensive option. I fly back and forwards to the states, was thinking about buying a kit and bringing it in my suitcase.

As for the IS200 - as a new member I hazard to comment but I think its because Turbo/SC only take you to a certain point with the IS200 base engine and then it gets expensive so it's almost better to start with a stronger base, instead of the doing the work for a 2JZ-GE conversion it makes sense just to put the 2JZ-GTE instead.

I spent a day at TDI's talking through tuning options on the IS300. The parts from the 2JZ-GE Supra engine could be utilised for my IS300, however the wiring loom for the HKS FCON VPRO wouldn't be the same and require re-wiring and by the time that cost is taken into account, it's not worth going down this custom route. Plus I cannot be sure that the exhaust manifold will clear the steering rack.

So far its the SRT Tuning Kit or SPC Horsham - both options I think are too expensive for my liking. I don't think I'm going to win here, because I could just as well sell my car and buy something already turbo charged and save myself a lot of hassle! But I'm not a defeatist. I own a 950BHP Turbo'd R33 GTR, its got power but laggy as hell, so I'm thinking about SC on the IS300. Approx 300BHP, Just get a Vortech Supercharger plus Intercooler, custom piping and an aftermarket ECU to deal with fuel/ignition timing.

In terms of aftermarket ECU's I see there are several options like Haltech, when using aftermarket management does everything else on the car still function e.g. airbags, dash etc?

As far as I am aware I have the only SC IS300's in the UK. There is a thread in the T/C S/C sub section have a read. :winky:

Good question - I think its more expensive to swap the Supra Twin Turbo 2JZ-GTE into the IS300 over just Turbocharging the 2JZ-GE. I think the problem is that the IS300 was sold in small numbers in the UK, in comparison to the US so there is less support for it. There are plenty of Turbo Kits for the NA Supra, the feedback I got from my friend and an NA-T converted Supra is that its cheaper to start with NA and do the turbo conversion over starting with a TT.

The only issue I can see is the manifold fouling the steering rack, but I won't know till I fit one. SRT Power have a complete Turbo kit but after customs/import charges plus delivery it becomes an expensive option. I fly back and forwards to the states, was thinking about buying a kit and bringing it in my suitcase.

As for the IS200 - as a new member I hazard to comment but I think its because Turbo/SC only take you to a certain point with the IS200 base engine and then it gets expensive so it's almost better to start with a stronger base, instead of the doing the work for a 2JZ-GE conversion it makes sense just to put the 2JZ-GTE instead.

I could see the steering rack as a potential fouling point - mostly because the vast majority of Supra parts are made in the US, and therefore LHD (and may not account for the steering rack on RHD). As to the GE turbo vs GTE question, this is exactly the same as in A80 Supras (one of which I own): cheaper to turbo the GE than replace with a GTE, but only as long as you don't want a serious power hike - because then you'll start breaking gearboxes and differentials, which make it cost effective to have swapped the entire driveline to the Turbo model. Not to mention the cost of a full standalone ECU, gauges, additional coolers etc.

Mostly, I just wanted to confirm that if I got an IS300 (which I want) and wanted more power (which I think is probably inevitable for me), I am in the same situation as if I owned a non-turbo Supra.

As far as im aware steering rack is the big issue, also dont think the GE has oil squirter's on the pistons so only a certain boost can be had until temps rise to high.

Also what can the auto box on the IS300 handle ? Not sure on this one but one owner on here had an IS200 putting out a fair amount of power and his IS200 auto box didnt last very long.

Its a good option but if you want a real car (thats one with a manual gearbox LoL) then it gets complicated and expensive buying and fitting clutch pedals, cylinders etc etc

After all my years of spend stupid money on cars my best advise is, get the one with the right engine to start with then mod that if you have to, I've been so tempted to scrap my 1JZ project recently and just by a supra or soarer with 400-500hp and be done with it, but i feel thats lazy and will get mocked by all my mates, I will prevail (hopefully)lol

As far as im aware steering rack is the big issue, also dont think the GE has oil squirter's on the pistons so only a certain boost can be had until temps rise to high.

Also what can the auto box on the IS300 handle ? Not sure on this one but one owner on here had an IS200 putting out a fair amount of power and his IS200 auto box didnt last very long.

Its a good option but if you want a real car (thats one with a manual gearbox LoL) then it gets complicated and expensive buying and fitting clutch pedals, cylinders etc etc

After all my years of spend stupid money on cars my best advise is, get the one with the right engine to start with then mod that if you have to, I've been so tempted to scrap my 1JZ project recently and just by a supra or soarer with 400-500hp and be done with it, but i feel thats lazy and will get mocked by all my mates, I will prevail (hopefully)lol

Don't get distracted by piston differences between GE and GTE - the biggest impediment to boost and power levels is compression ratio. The most boost you seem to be able to safely run on a *stock* GE motor is about 8-10 psi on pump fuel.

And I don't see why the auto on the IS300 wouldn't be exactly the same as the auto on a GE Supra - so can handle about 400hp, which is usually a bit more than you can make on the GE motor. You can then, if you want to up the hp rating on the GE auto, replace the internals with parts from the GTE auto.