Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have now covered 135,000 in my 07 is220d and have never had a car with so many EGR Valves been replaced and now i get the same warning on my dash!

Normally when this happens (5 times now) the car goes into limp home mode which basically limits the revs and you cant go much higher than 30mph!

This time this has not happened, travelling 2 days ago on the A1 wetherby the lights came on, CHECK VSC knowing this fault i turned around and headed to HULL LEXUS! There was no change in the engine performance this time!!! only a matter of time i thought. When i got to Lexus Hull they placed it on the computer and cleared the fault to proceed and tell me i needed a NEW CATALITIC CONVERTER AT £1,900 FITTED!!!!! WOW!

Now i know these things dont fail on 2 year old cars despite the miles covered, so i went away saying id get back to them, after googling on the internet i found a very helpful chap in northampton who supplied cats . he told me that there was no way that this would have failed but it was prob teh Particulate Filter just before the Cat.

I thanked him them called another dealer STOKE LEXUS near my office who confirmed that this was the case and gave me a quote of £800 a littel different to HULL

Yesterday i took my car to a independent garage next to my office who i have used for many years !!!! tells the truth!............ he actually removed the whole exhaust and examined the filter cat etc ...clean as a whist...you can run your finger inside the pipes and its carbon free!!!!!

SO MY QUESTION IS ...............WHAT IS WRONG WITH IT THIS TIME????????????????? Cant be the EGR Valve again as i had this replced 3 months ago, i know where it is so took the 4 bolts off and its clean!!!!

who is robbing who and who is telling the truth?

Now i drove today to worcester from HULL and the wrning has apeared again but drives ok!!!! any ideas? reason i womnt get lexus to look is the cost and its out of warranty!!!! oh and why Lexus Hull try charge me nearly £2000 .....dodgy!!!

I have now covered 135,000 in my 07 is220d and have never had a car with so many EGR Valves been replaced and now i get the same warning on my dash!

Normally when this happens (5 times now) the car goes into limp home mode which basically limits the revs and you cant go much higher than 30mph!

This time this has not happened, travelling 2 days ago on the A1 wetherby the lights came on, CHECK VSC knowing this fault i turned around and headed to HULL LEXUS! There was no change in the engine performance this time!!! only a matter of time i thought. When i got to Lexus Hull they placed it on the computer and cleared the fault to proceed and tell me i needed a NEW CATALITIC CONVERTER AT £1,900 FITTED!!!!! WOW!

Now i know these things dont fail on 2 year old cars despite the miles covered, so i went away saying id get back to them, after googling on the internet i found a very helpful chap in northampton who supplied cats . he told me that there was no way that this would have failed but it was prob teh Particulate Filter just before the Cat.

I thanked him them called another dealer STOKE LEXUS near my office who confirmed that this was the case and gave me a quote of £800 a littel different to HULL

Yesterday i took my car to a independent garage next to my office who i have used for many years !!!! tells the truth!............ he actually removed the whole exhaust and examined the filter cat etc ...clean as a whist...you can run your finger inside the pipes and its carbon free!!!!!

SO MY QUESTION IS ...............WHAT IS WRONG WITH IT THIS TIME????????????????? Cant be the EGR Valve again as i had this replced 3 months ago, i know where it is so took the 4 bolts off and its clean!!!!

who is robbing who and who is telling the truth?

Now i drove today to worcester from HULL and the wrning has apeared again but drives ok!!!! any ideas? reason i womnt get lexus to look is the cost and its out of warranty!!!! oh and why Lexus Hull try charge me nearly £2000 .....dodgy!!!

could it be a glitch in the sensor. my old car (a merc slk) used to have the same problem until they replaced a chip in the computer.

i guess if the computer is flaggin up a non-existent problem it is likely the sensor or the computer

The cat went on mine at 40k miles, fortunately under warranty.

From you're description, I'd say you have a flaky sensor somewhere

Hey all,

I was literally going to ask a question about this! My VSC light came on once yesterday for ths first time, 'Check VSC' after starting it up. Turned the car off and on again and never seen it since - car has done 67K on a 06 plate. Any ideas?

Should I be worried??!

Kind Regards, Harmeet

Hi

Mine is the same too 220D. My VSC light came on laso, 'Check VSC' in the middle of a journey. Turned the car off and on again and never seen it since - car has done 69K on a 06 plate.

• 3 weeks later...
did anyone get an update on this, i got the same error yesterday

Ok.. having read all the comments, here's my version.. brand new 09 plate 250 SS VSC warning light comes on.. traction control fails throwing car into spin and no reduced speed.. speed at the time was approx 50 mph going round a long sweeping bend off the M180 towards Doncaster (UK for those that don't know).. I took mine back to the dealer and was informed that it was a throttle body fault and that the dealers were aware but the manufacturers were not sure as to how many vehicles this would actually effect and did not warrant a call back.. ahem!.. I'm a City & Guilds Level 4 Advanced qualified vehicle tech.. (retired) and if that was a fault that was common place I would have thought it in Lexus best interest to recall, however, I was assured that was what had caused the multi faults as it was part of the engine management system. That I can concur with as it's part of the mapping and as such if one fault occurs it's like the domino effect.

I would suggest that you take your vehicle back to the place where you bought it and ask them to do a Dealer Part Recall Search and see if your part qualifies. As you are probably out of warranty this may not be the case for you, however, you can ask for a deal on the replacement part/fitting.. the fitting takes no more than 30 mins and they make you a coffee whilst you wait.. also ask to see the part before and after fitting. Outof choice.. I'd get free labour and VAT on the part only and do it before 1st Jan as the VAT goes back up

VSC is vehicle stablitly control last time i checked fellas are we all sure its even an engine fault. I havent come across one of the new models yet but i know for sure if its a bad engine fault the limp home mode does cut in and does put on the vsc light but also the engine management light.

The car ecu decides if its a bad enough fault or not to put the car in limp home mode a cat shouldnt put the car into limp home as limp home is normall only cut in if the fault could cause the engine serious damage by continued use. IE a miss fire. If the cat falls the worse that can happen is the lambda sensor after the cat tells the ecu the cat is faulty. The lambda sensor its self could be faulty especially if you have had several egr faults, did you now was the egr stuck open or closed. The lambda sensor could be sooted up and giving a false reading which would lead a tech to think the cat was not working. I have fallen for this myself and had to refund the customer the cost of the cat and i replaced the lamdba sensor free of charge for his trouble of having to bring his car in more than once. I have since learnt this fault and wont be dong it again.

Bottom line is your car has come up with cat fault is it the sensor flaggin up a cat fault because the cat it reads from is faulty or is it the sensor thats faulty.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all who having VSC problems and ref my last post! I went to Lexus Hull and was told for sure it was the CATALITIC CONVERTER or PARTICULATE FILTER which is actually part of the cat anyway. Original quote Lexus HULL was £1,900 (***** turpin comes to mind) went to meet with service manager who git down to £1200. I went away seacrhed the NET and found one from a smashed rear end car in a breakers, covered only 18,000miles. Had it fitted for £100 and hey presto so far all is ok.

Lexus refused to replace under any warranty!!!! ive now covered some 140,000 since March 2007 and ready to get rid of the damn thing!!!

5 EGR VALVES ALSO FITTED!!!!!

NOW REAR SHOCKER HAS GONE AND THE AIRCON! Not that we need it in the Snow anyway

ADVISE!!! When the CHECK VSC ligts came on the service manger told me that this is a warning that a log has been stored in the computer, depending on the log it will place the car in get home mode where you willcrawl home or attempt to anyway!

I havent tried this but i was told if this happens disconnect the Battery for 10mins and it will clear the fault allowing the car to drive normal until you can get it to Lexus for them to rip you off!!!

Take a spanner with you in the car to take the batt terminals off!

Cheek of the sales guy though suggested i try the 09 model, far better engine he said !!! and will give me £5000 for my current car that cost £24,000 not even 3 years ago!!!!!

MM i think its time to go back to the German machines!

• 11 months later...

Hi all who having VSC problems and ref my last post! I went to Lexus Hull and was told for sure it was the CATALITIC CONVERTER or PARTICULATE FILTER which is actually part of the cat anyway. Original quote Lexus HULL was £1,900 (***** turpin comes to mind) went to meet with service manager who git down to £1200. I went away seacrhed the NET and found one from a smashed rear end car in a breakers, covered only 18,000miles. Had it fitted for £100 and hey presto so far all is ok.

Lexus refused to replace under any warranty!!!! ive now covered some 140,000 since March 2007 and ready to get rid of the damn thing!!!

5 EGR VALVES ALSO FITTED!!!!!

NOW REAR SHOCKER HAS GONE AND THE AIRCON! Not that we need it in the Snow anyway

ADVISE!!! When the CHECK VSC ligts came on the service manger told me that this is a warning that a log has been stored in the computer, depending on the log it will place the car in get home mode where you willcrawl home or attempt to anyway!

I havent tried this but i was told if this happens disconnect the battery for 10mins and it will clear the fault allowing the car to drive normal until you can get it to Lexus for them to rip you off!!!

Take a spanner with you in the car to take the batt terminals off!

Cheek of the sales guy though suggested i try the 09 model, far better engine he said !!! and will give me £5000 for my current car that cost £24,000 not even 3 years ago!!!!!

MM i think its time to go back to the German machines!

Hello all. check vsc warning came on last night, was able to drive home. engine revs are limited, skid and engine warning lights also on. switched car on and off, still the same.

will disconnecting the Battery for ten mins as suggested above cause any other problems? will it clear any important settings?

Would really appreciate advice.

did anyone get an update on this, i got the same error yesterday

Ok.. having read all the comments, here's my version.. brand new 09 plate 250 SS VSC warning light comes on.. traction control fails throwing car into spin and no reduced speed.. speed at the time was approx 50 mph going round a long sweeping bend off the M180 towards Doncaster (UK for those that don't know).. I took mine back to the dealer and was informed that it was a throttle body fault and that the dealers were aware but the manufacturers were not sure as to how many vehicles this would actually effect and did not warrant a call back.. ahem!.. I'm a City & Guilds Level 4 Advanced qualified vehicle tech.. (retired) and if that was a fault that was common place I would have thought it in Lexus best interest to recall, however, I was assured that was what had caused the multi faults as it was part of the engine management system. That I can concur with as it's part of the mapping and as such if one fault occurs it's like the domino effect.

I would suggest that you take your vehicle back to the place where you bought it and ask them to do a Dealer Part Recall Search and see if your part qualifies. As you are probably out of warranty this may not be the case for you, however, you can ask for a deal on the replacement part/fitting.. the fitting takes no more than 30 mins and they make you a coffee whilst you wait.. also ask to see the part before and after fitting. Outof choice.. I'd get free labour and VAT on the part only and do it before 1st Jan as the VAT goes back up

***UPDATE***

I have had a few messages asking my assistance. The short answer is I took my IS250 Supersprt back to the dealer.. they replaced the throttle body within 30 mins and I was back on the road and even got a free valet... I have not had one issue since except when I have deliberatley thrown the vehicle out of stability to see the reaction and test the electronics against a UK Police IS-F - I am a Police Trained Advanced Driver so I would not recommened anyone testing their vehicle on a public highway. Since the replacement part has been fitted I have had no issues with the VSC Control and even in the heavy snows and minus 17 - 25 temperatures of late when the traction has been lost due to black ice, the snow control has compensated and taken corrective measures through the engine management system and handled the car perfectly; which is great when there are clients in the rear of the vehicle.

Don't forget.. if it is not covered by warranty then you will pay 20% V.A.T from Jan 4th 2011... so soonest mendest and drive your vehicle responsibly and safely.. it is far cheaper replacing a throttle body than a Catalytic Convertor and the dealers should all be aware of this problem.

be safe

S

MSIS