Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mmmm Manual Change

stuie

Drove the wifes sc in to work this morning and god do I miss the stick shift of the is200.

Dont get me wrong its a great car bags of power and smooth as silk but I find myself swearing at it wanting the damn thing to change down when I want it to.

Once I get old and cant be bothered to enjoy driving anymore then great but until then give me gears

On occasion I drive my dads automatic astra and it bores me to death. It's a decent auto box but I fail to get any enjoyment from driving it. The manual change in the IS is great. Maybe not the smoothest transmission but it has a positive feel to it. Never tried an IS in automatic yet though. Anyone care to give there opinion on it?

On occasion I drive my dads automatic astra and it bores me to death. It's a decent auto box but I fail to get any enjoyment from driving it. The manual change in the IS is great. Maybe not the smoothest transmission but it has a positive feel to it. Never tried an IS in automatic yet though. Anyone care to give there opinion on it?

I've had my IS200 auto for 5 years and love it! The auto box is generally very smooth and because it's intelligent it adjusts to the individuals driving style.

I guess that it all depends on the type of driving you do - if it's mainly motorway then a manual is probably fine but in town I feel the auto really comes into it's own. It's nice not having to operate the clutch every few seconds although I'll admit that I still do quite enjoy driving a manual on the odd occasion. Of course the downside of driving an auto is that they tend to be a bit more thirsty than the manual, but I see that quite a few manufacturers are now quoting very similar mpg figures for both types so that may no longer be the case. I have been driving for nearly 40 years and for the first 30 have always owned manual cars. Having owned first a Nissan Primera auto (poor auto box imho) and now the Lexus I def wouldn't go back to a manual out of choice.

Drove the wifes sc in to work this morning and god do I miss the stick shift of the is200.

Dont get me wrong its a great car bags of power and smooth as silk but I find myself swearing at it wanting the damn thing to change down when I want it to.

Once I get old and cant be bothered to enjoy driving anymore then great but until then give me gears

You saying your wifes old? lol. I've drove a few autos and it only really comes into play when you are stuck in traffic or in country roads where you have to constantly change gears round bends. If only the gear box on the IS200 from first to second and back to first was smoother than i might not mind it. Been given some helpful advice to what gear oils to use, so i will post up if it makes a difference. Will be changing both gearbox oil and axel oil at the same time.

I have the auto IS300 and would definately miss the ability to change gears without the e-shift ability, i'm not an auto box man myself usually but don't mind this although having the scooby now enjoy the gear shifting and just like the ability to choose the gear when i want it, like when your in a bend keeping the revs high at a constant acceleration to keep the back end stuck down and then it changes gear putting you in a sticky situation. I must admit though it's good when your stuck in a traffic jam so your clutch foot doesn't get sore :) so on the whole it's got is pros and cons.

i miss a proper manual gear shift when i'm out for a thrash.

i have a is300 (with the push button steering wheel change) and in PWR mode the downshifts are fast enough, still not the same as a proper downshift with a blip of the throttle tho!

great in traffic tho, and as i had a knee replacement only 6 months ago its been a very good idea to have an auto.

my old man has the 3.2 quattro TT with the DSG box and Ive driven plenty of m3's with the SMG.

Not sayin all my future cars will be solely auto's or solely manuals but if its an auto its gotta have the manual override choice too (toyin with the idea of MR evo8 or m3 CSL in the summer)