Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sticking Fuel Gauge

After searching the forum I realise that a faulty fuel gauge is a common problem on the is200 but mine seems slightly different.

I've only had the car a couple of weeks so have only been to the petrol station twice in that time. When I collected the car the gauge was showing almost empty so I called at a petrol station and bought £30 of fuel. It wasn't until a few miles down the road that I noticed the gauge hadn't moved and immediately started to think I'd been robbed by the petrol station :lol:

As I was driving along I tapped the top of the dash near the fuel gauge and the needle moved upwards slightly. So I did it again, and again, and again, each time the needle moved about a mm finally stopping at about a third full. Must be a loose connection or dry joint I thought but when I came to turn off the ignition the needle didn't fall back to empty as it should and has remaind on a third full ever since.

I've just paid another visit to the petrol station and this time filled the tank. Again the needle didn't rise from until I tapped the top of the dash repeatedly, again moving a mm at a time until it showed almost full where it has remained ever since even with the ignition off.

Is there a fix for this that doesn't involve replacing the dash? I'm not against stripping down the speedo pod and getting jiggy with the soldering iron.

That does sound like a really weird problem, never heard that one before myself - although if it moves when you tap it doesn't sound like a connection problem, more that the needle can't move up.

Does it come down smoothly as the tank empties?

This has happened to me a couple of times. I put £20 in, got in the car and the empty light was still on. I went back inside and told the lady her pump wasn't giving out petrol. She did a test and assured me the petrol went in my car. After showing her my gauge, turning ignition on and off, and kicking up a bit of a fuss, she advised me to take the car a run and see if the needle moved.

I drove round the car park a couple of times and still no movement so went back and told her i'd been ripped off. Reluctantly she put another £20 in, with the promise i would come back if it eventually showed on my needle. As soon as i put the other £20 in, the needle shot up show £40 worth. With a bit of a red face i returned and paid her the second £20 :blush:

after filling wait for a a while with the key in the ON position and the needle will come up, then start - easily solved

But then why is it not coming down either as the tank empties?

after filling wait for a a while with the key in the ON position and the needle will come up, then start - easily solved

But then why is it not coming down either as the tank empties?

the OP has a different issue to the majority.. i was refering to the majority.

it sounds that the OP has something causing the needle to stick

Sorry for the delay in replying, 13 hour shifts :sleeping:

Tapping the dash doesn't make the needle fall unfortunately.

I've also tried turning the ignition on but not starting the car for a few minutes but this has no effect.

It's a strange one that's for sure!

• 4 months later...

Just a quick update to this problem.

Now that the warmer weather is here I finally made an effort to have a look at the fuel gauge. I removed the speedo pod and carefully removed the clear perspex front cover so I could get up and personal with the fuel gauge needle. As I suspected the base of it was catching very slightly on the rear panel. Very carefully I pulled the needle away a fraction and now have a fully functioning fuel gauge, it's quite a novelty :D

Now that the warmer weather is here I finally made an effort to have a look at the fuel gauge. I removed the speedo pod and carefully removed the clear perspex front cover so I could get up and personal with the fuel gauge needle. As I suspected the base of it was catching very slightly on the rear panel. Very carefully I pulled the needle away a fraction and now have a fully functioning fuel gauge, it's quite a novelty :D

Lmao! Fair play i laughed quite a few times reading this....Legend!

Glad its sorted tho, must have been a bit of a bitch not actually knowing when you needed to go to the petrol station

my fuel needle is quite strange also.

when i fuel up sometimes needle instantly shows fuel amount, sometimes it takes time. sometimes i can drive 3 or 6 miles and only then needle reacts on fuel amount. i read somewhere that lexus has so advanced fuel gauge that it measures fuel consumpted by engine calculating how much is left in tank. there was a guy who had an LPG kit and driving only on LPG the fuel needle continued to drop untill zero, then after some time it jumps ap saying that fuel tank is full

mine tank is empty when it is on the 1/4 mark and then when i fill it it sits there untill i leave the car for a couple of hrs standing still. then it reads what it should do say 1/2 or 3/4 but then stays there for days until one day ill get in it and it will be near the 1/4 and as i go out she will cough and let me know shes almost empty.

this is a pain so might have a look a the dials today just to see if its a connection or the needle

dont want it to be the guage in the tank.

• 11 months later...

JohnnyB, I'm having exactly the same problems and symtoms. Did you have to remove the whole instrument cluster from the dash or just the perspex cover with the instrument cluster still attached to the dash? I would like to attempt the same repair myself before getting some professional help.

Many thanks in advance.

:shifty:

• 1 year later...