Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mkii Gs300 Subwoofer

Hi all!

I've got a 2002 GS300 and I'm considering replacing the subwoofer that's mounted at the rear of the car. The problem I'm having with it is that it's a bit, well, wet... it sounds good at a low volume but is quite quickly driven into distortion.

I'm trying to figure out if I can avoid replacing the currently fitted amp and just stick a better made speaker in the current one's place. I don't much like the idea of having to run power to the back of the car and I'm not willing to lose boot space to a box.

I've not had a look yet, but does anyone happen to know of any subwoofers that will physically fit in the space of the current speaker without too much mucking about, and does anyone know how much power the OEM amplifier can provide to that channel (RMS, rather than peak and into how many ohms)?

I'd guess that any speaker of the same diameter can be made to fit, but obviously I need to go for something that's not going to be too much of a load on the amp or I'll just end up with distortion at the amp rather than the speaker.

Adam

Sorry, Can't help you to much with the technical aspects of the OE amp, only that i dont find distortion a problem (and i do play loud Rock music!) But it could do with more Bass and Clarity.......I feel the amp is pushing out enough power and going for a better quality speaker of the same dimensions is something i have considered !

I would imagine the current speakers are of the Pioneer variety (i havn't looked) But all in all the sound is very good, as all Lexus are! But improvement could certainly be made if you are a ICE enthusiast.

Good luck.

I am very much into my music, and while I don't have it loud I have found it distorts quite easily on some tracks. It could just be that the speaker is knackered.

Doing some intensive Googling last night has told me;

The speaker is made by Panasonic, the amp is made by Pioneer.

The amp is designed to drive a 2 ohm load, but I couldn't find it's RMS output for the sub channel (my guess is about 50 watts which would be enough to drive a JL sub).

Most people who have done this use an offensively powerful speaker with an amp as a replacement.

The rest of the system is great, and there's no distortion from any of the other speakers in the car, it's just the sub. It'd definately not the amp clipping either, it sounds like the voice coil is grounding in the piston which could either mean it's being overdriven or the suspension is worn through.

I'll just buy another speaker after payday and see how it goes - I don't want thumping bass that can be felt meters away from the car, so with any luck I can do without an additional amp.

Thanks for your reply :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links