Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Getting a bit worried! Reading some of the posts on here, I see so many negative comments about the IS220D. I've just bought one wich is just under 2 years old. Changed my IS200 sport (which was a magic car) for one. There is nothing much I don't like about my own IS220D. Getting used to a totally different drive experience from the 200 sport is challenging but enjoyable. The negative comments are making feel like I might have bought the wrong car??? It's not an insignificant amount of money that I've spent on a brand that I was told was wonderful.

Have I made a BIG mistake. Face to face talks with other owners dicates that they love their 220D's as much as I do....

Col :unsure::crybaby::blush:

Getting a bit worried! Reading some of the posts on here, I see so many negative comments about the IS220D. I've just bought one wich is just under 2 years old. Changed my IS200 sport (which was a magic car) for one. There is nothing much I don't like about my own IS220D. Getting used to a totally different drive experience from the 200 sport is challenging but enjoyable. The negative comments are making feel like I might have bought the wrong car??? It's not an insignificant amount of money that I've spent on a brand that I was told was wonderful.

Have I made a BIG mistake. Face to face talks with other owners dicates that they love their 220D's as much as I do....

col,my 220 has covered over 63k miles and has been 100% reliable,some owners have had reliability issues which largely relate to the egr and emmisions system,these problems are not specific to lexus as all diesels that have dpf systems have a build up of carbon deposits that build up over time.if your cycle of use is largely urban then i would say that you have bought the wrong car but if you do longer journeys then you will be fine.

btw,the AA advise drivers of vehicles with dpf's to use premium diesel every third tank to keep carbon deposits lower,i use millers dps4 in every tank as an alternative to premium diesel

I concur. Nothing wrong whatsoever with the IS220D, The vast majority of people I have spoken to who own them, love them. I have no issues with the car mechnically (apart from being a bit 'fidgety' in the ride quality), it is a good car.

If I had read all the bad reports on the IS, I could have been disuaded from buying one, but I made my own decision based upon an extended test drive over one week and thought I would give it a go. Remember, forums are often a sounding board for many to air their gripes (I have too about servicing prices) but that is what forums are like! Just pick the bits that are relvant to you and don't worry about the rest!

I think it was a case that there were some cars that were just complete duds, and others were fine going from the wildly varying owner experiences. If yours is fine, you probably have one of the good ones so no need to worry about it :)

col,my 220 has covered over 63k miles and has been 100% reliable,some owners have had reliability issues which largely relate to the egr and emmisions system,these problems are not specific to lexus as all diesels that have dpf systems have a build up of carbon deposits that build up over time.if your cycle of use is largely urban then i would say that you have bought the wrong car but if you do longer journeys then you will be fine.

btw,the AA advise drivers of vehicles with dpf's to use premium diesel every third tank to keep carbon deposits lower,i use millers dps4 in every tank as an alternative to premium diesel

I do a mix of dual carriage/motorway/ town driving guys. All your comments are putting my mind at ease thank, goodness. I've had such a brilliant experience with my IS200 sport (now gone) that my hopes were raised to the extreme with the 220D. (maybe not a good idea to do that). I'll pay less attention to any negative comments. Being on the forum, I trust the experience of nearly all the peeps on here, so hope you can understand that I might on occasions get it wrong. Anyway, thanks for the help, and, I hope you all have a great xmas and a very happy new year.

Col.... :D :winky:

all i will say is keep an eye on your oil level!!!!!they suffer from burning oil and will req a engine rebuild.(some had dodgy piston rings)

all i will say is keep an eye on your oil level!!!!!they suffer from burning oil and will req a engine rebuild.(some had dodgy piston rings)
ormi,i have never had to top up my oil.

My assessment from colleagues with the full range of 220's is that it was the Sport model that had oil problem. Others were ok. Always worth keeping up the regular check though.

- Mine had an engine rebuild in Sept 2009, replaced power steering, rear brakes, alloys , water pump, 5th injector, 2 DCAT injectors, the clutch. After the oil change I noticed the engine oil level was 150% (50% over max level) cos it drinks it for some reason.

- To be honest the car did not brake down atoll. All the above where discovered/done during the normal service (after 50000km).

There were problems with the diesels but now they are getting better by replacing the faulty-design components e.g. injectors, etc.

You might be lucky and never have to deal with the issues above. Enjoy you car...don't think about it too much...life's short live it to the max... ;)

If I had to change my car I would only change... its engine and gearbox...the rest is perfect :winky:

Cheers,

Adrian

I'm assuming they can't all be bad. I see more 220D's on the roads than the 250's. Are the 220D sales figures higher or is just around this area they out number their petrol counterparts?

I'm assuming they can't all be bad. I see more 220D's on the roads than the 250's. Are the 220D sales figures higher or is just around this area they out number their petrol counterparts?

All depends on the area I guess, all the ones I see round me are 250s......

The 220's are probably lease/company cars where as the 250's are privately owned cars?

I've now done 85k miles on a 56 plate, which is about to go in a few weeks at the end of the contract hire period.

My only real gripe is the poor mpg. alloys are prone to pitting but I think the IS200 was the same.

Apart from a one off problem with the smart entry system I've had no breakdowns or issues.

Enjoy your car! :)

I've now done 85k miles on a 56 plate, which is about to go in a few weeks at the end of the contract hire period.

My only real gripe is the poor mpg. Alloys are prone to pitting but I think the IS200 was the same.

Apart from a one off problem with the smart entry system I've had no breakdowns or issues.

What's your replacement car? another 220?

My only real gripe is the poor mpg. Alloys are prone to pitting but I think the IS200 was the same.

No, I've found I need a bit more space & flexibility so I'm going for a Volvo XC90. It was also a cracking deal.

What was it I said about poor mpg!?!

No, I've found I need a bit more space & flexibility so I'm going for a Volvo XC90. It was also a cracking deal.

What was it I said about poor mpg!?!

There is some good deals on the XC90 at the moment with the new one coming out soon, nice big comfy car, probably won't cost anymore to run in practice either.

- Mine had an engine rebuild in Sept 2009, replaced power steering, rear brakes, alloys , water pump, 5th injector, 2 DCAT injectors, the clutch. After the oil change I noticed the engine oil level was 150% (50% over max level) cos it drinks it for some reason.

- To be honest the car did not brake down atoll. All the above where discovered/done during the normal service (after 50000km).

There were problems with the diesels but now they are getting better by replacing the faulty-design components e.g. injectors, etc.

You might be lucky and never have to deal with the issues above. Enjoy you car...don't think about it too much...life's short live it to the max... ;)

If I had to change my car I would only change... its engine and gearbox...the rest is perfect :winky:

Cheers,

Adrian

Cheers Adrian, as I said, I think I had a knee jerk reaction to some bad experiences and got a bit concerned. I'm just out of hospital today after a Hip Operation, and won't have the pleasure of driving my 220D for 4-6 weeks now...... :crybaby::blink::unsure::blush::sick: :winky:

Col

Cant you just thrash the 220D now and again to get rid of the carbon build up like other cars with DPFs?
yes,that's exactly the thing to do and prefferably on a steep hill climb,i believe this method is called italian tuning.

Had mine nearly two years now

and its great i have never (touch me head wood) had any breakdowns

just the usual recalls also had the dash rattle fixed and it has not come back

come to think of it lunch time today i went with a lad from work

to get some lunch and he was well impressed with the Interior and how quite

it was for a diesel (he drives a SEAT)

Then i had to show him the Mark Levinson Multimedia system with the Ipod intergration kit

he was just blown away at the sound quality.

Keep your 220d i too had a IS200sport and went to my 220

just get used to the gearing and you will be fine

Matt

HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE

Had mine nearly two years now

and its great i have never (touch me head wood) had any breakdowns

just the usual recalls also had the dash rattle fixed and it has not come back

come to think of it lunch time today i went with a lad from work

to get some lunch and he was well impressed with the Interior and how quite

it was for a diesel (he drives a SEAT)

Then i had to show him the Mark Levinson Multimedia system with the Ipod intergration kit

he was just blown away at the sound quality.

Keep your 220d i too had a IS200sport and went to my 220

just get used to the gearing and you will be fine

Matt

HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE

Y'know, it never fails to amaze me, how, everyone (mostly) are so supportive, helpful and positive on the Lexus Forums. You guys have made me feel so much better about my decision to change to the 220D. Thanks a million all.

MERRY XMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Col.. :D

Just changed to an 18m old 220d from a mapped Subaru Impreza WRX. What a time to change going from 4WD to rear wheel in these conditions. Takes some getting use to from chucking it into bends. At least with the impreza you come out of them ok..!!

Got the 220d chipped from Diesel Tuner in Hull. Cannot say if there is any difference as I only drove it 2 mile before hand, the day I collected it... And I guess i cannot compare it to the decatted Scoob..!

Anyway, first time of owning a diesel, good torque must admit. Anything else I need to look for. Had a Lexus service at 11K and one at 23k before I picked it up. Drives great, cannot complain..not that great in the ice. Only done 60mile though..!!

The misses prefers it, not quite as noisy..no burrble or drown as it goes down the road. Oh and the neighbours prefer it at 0530 in the morning when I leave for work striking it up and reversing out the garage.

What is the next service, found that there are A and B types looks like every 10k and look about £160 for an A / £270 for a B.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links