Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Steering Full Lock Clunk

My wife drives a 3 year old 220d. Noticed today that when the steering gets to full lock it makes a fairly loud "clunk". No other problems. Does anyone know what may be causing this and whether it's anything to worry about? Thanks in advance.

No idea what causes it as my dealer said there was nothing wrong when I complained about my 06 model. Sounded and felt like I was driving over a brick (ok perhaps a pebble)when it happened.

New model - 09 MY - has not had the problem - yet.

Hope she doesn't worry about it too much.

No idea what causes it as my dealer said there was nothing wrong when I complained about my 06 model. Sounded and felt like I was driving over a brick (ok perhaps a pebble)when it happened.

New model - 09 MY - has not had the problem - yet.

Hope she doesn't worry about it too much.

Thanks Steve. Sounds like the same thing. She's not really worried - it only really happens when parking/manoevering and doesn't cause any real problems. Just strange.

My wife drives a 3 year old 220d. Noticed today that when the steering gets to full lock it makes a fairly loud "clunk". No other problems. Does anyone know what may be causing this and whether it's anything to worry about? Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know what may be causing this and whether it's anything to worry about?

Your wife is causing it and only somthing to worry about ioif you are staying married!!!!

Does anyone know what may be causing this and whether it's anything to worry about?

Your wife is causing it and only somthing to worry about ioif you are staying married!!!!

I keep her well away from my LS430 :)

Ex Lexus owner here and forum member who pops back occasionally out of interest - my IS250 did that when reversing and it was the tyre stepping out ie shifting about 1/2" sideways - something to do with the tyre width, tread pattern, angle of wheel on full lock. It was a loud clunk and a judder through the wheel.

I did a thread on it and several others had same effect.

My tyres we good at 30 when it went so no problem.

Ex Lexus owner here and forum member who pops back occasionally out of interest - my IS250 did that when reversing and it was the tyre stepping out ie shifting about 1/2" sideways - something to do with the tyre width, tread pattern, angle of wheel on full lock. It was a loud clunk and a judder through the wheel.

Yes, that sounds like it. But how do you mean "tyre stepping out"?

If you get someone to watch the front wheel as you reverse in full lock with cold tyres you will see that the wheel/tyre 'skids' about 1/2" at a certain point and this is the bang and judder - mine was more often on the front left tyre.

The outside one (ie left front if you have right hand side down) 'skids' about 1/2" outwards and it is that skid that makes the clunk. The tyre is a bit too wide for the angle of lock and weight on it and it slips.

Excellent, now I understand. Weird. Thanks.

Hello

Just posted selfsame question in 'Brakes and suspension'...doh!

It makes sense that it can occur with different tread patterens (never noticed it with Bridgstone OE tyres, or Michelins until well worn?) Most odd...!!!

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

If you get someone to watch the front wheel as you reverse in full lock with cold tyres you will see that the wheel/tyre 'skids' about 1/2" at a certain point and this is the bang and judder - mine was more often on the front left tyre.

hello, i seem unsure as to what is being said, is this an actual fault or simply nothing to worry about, will changing the tyre's sort this out? just curious incase this happens to my car

hello, i seem unsure as to what is being said, is this an actual fault or simply nothing to worry about, will changing the tyre's sort this out? just curious incase this happens to my car

not to worry,there is no fault only the tyres stepping out,if you have had front wd vehicles prior to your lex they do not have such a tight turning circle and step out is less noticeable.

• 2 weeks later...

not to worry,there is no fault only the tyres stepping out,if you have had front wd vehicles prior to your lex they do not have such a tight turning circle and step out is less noticeable.

thanks dgman, its probably me just worrying about nothing cos this is my first car i have bought outright. however i absolutely loves my lexus, everytime i sit in it, i just smile like some sort of nutter

I was sensing the same "step out" or "slippage" on my 07 plate IS250 SE with around 24k miles. I have since replaced the tyres and "step out" has gone. I never got any clunking though. Hope that helps.

Cheers