Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Isf In Snow

most of cars in the u.k have summer tyres and when winter comes they are crap but if you get decent winter tyres on it will be fine mate.

still nursing my wallet from 4 new summer tyres so seems a bit extreme for 1 day per year

now if they would make a 4wd version, but i guess that's a whole different thread

most of cars in the u.k have summer tyres and when winter comes they are crap but if you get decent winter tyres on it will be fine mate.

still nursing my wallet from 4 new summer tyres so seems a bit extreme for 1 day per year

now if they would make a 4wd version, but i guess that's a whole different thread

4wd or 2wd you still need winter tyres

4WD is surely better though? I remember that episode of Top Gear where he was testing the X-type estate with 4WD and despite being on standard road tyres he was having no problems with traction.

Having said that, our Mercedes is so much better on the snow and ice than the IS200 - is that the weight making a difference? (it's also that the ESP is far more responsive than the TRC in the Lexus)

4WD is surely better though? I remember that episode of Top Gear where he was testing the X-type estate with 4WD and despite being on standard road tyres he was having no problems with traction.

Having said that, our Mercedes is so much better on the snow and ice than the IS200 - is that the weight making a difference? (it's also that the ESP is far more responsive than the TRC in the Lexus)

as far as i know most modern SUV's 4x4 are predominatley front wheel drive only kicking into 4x4 when they need to, which is an advantage in ice and snowy conditions, having the weight over the driving wheels

Even with winter tyres you wont be able to use any of the ISF's performance in snow/ice conditions, so for the few times per year that it affects most of the UK, simply hire another car that is OK in snow - a quicker, cheaper solution and a lot less effort than sourcing and fitting winter tyres. Also, it is easy to total cars when conditions are really slippery and few would be as hard to replace.

as far as i know most modern SUV's 4x4 are predominatley front wheel drive only kicking into 4x4 when they need to, which is an advantage in ice and snowy conditions, having the weight over the driving wheels

Ahh, that actually makes a lot of sense, and given the X-type is predominantly FWD that must be the case there as well with probably a haldex clutch sending power to the rear when required.

I found the ISF no better or worse than any RWD car. The snow button helped to keep the revs down, but any ice patches just caused plenty of spin and sliding!

Keep it in the garage mate I live in the countryside roads dont get any salt, any car struggles on the ice, snow isnt so bad just packed ice, and also it doesnt have to be your fault.

Ive been using the works van safer, saves miles, prevents salt damage, not that there is any salt.

• 1 month later...

I can testify that these cars are pretty bad in snow. I stupidly tried to get somewhere at 0600 one Saturday just after 4" of snow, and had to be towed back. Even in snow mode, it was useless on any incline.

Here's the evidence with my mate in his one day old Landy towing me back.

29dtl6w.jpg

2nhja5l.jpg

Agreed, I needed a push most days!

Could have done with an old sit-up-and-beg Ford Popular with tall spindly wheels and no power - but there again, would never have been able to get it started!

Realistically, wide tyres, all the weight at the front, loads of power/torque and low ground clearance means the ISF is rubbish in any real amount of snow even in "snow mode". In the UK, it just isn't worth fitting snow tyres, and the new version with LSD isn't going to fare much better. However, even if you had the traction, it would just increase the likelyhood of expensive damage by scraping off the plastic spoiler and side bits because of the low clearance.

Could have done with an old sit-up-and-beg Ford Popular with tall spindly wheels and no power - but there again, would never have been able to get it started!

Realistically, wide tyres, all the weight at the front, loads of power/torque and low ground clearance means the ISF is rubbish in any real amount of snow even in "snow mode". In the UK, it just isn't worth fitting snow tyres, and the new version with LSD isn't going to fare much better. However, even if you had the traction, it would just increase the likelyhood of expensive damage by scraping off the plastic spoiler and side bits because of the low clearance.

rubbish! why do people insist on caling winter tyres snow tyres? they are winter tyres designed to handle cold weather and the associated snow. using the term snow tyres gives the impression they are only for snow which is false.

There are many large porsche's, ferrari's and i even saw a lambo the other day with winter tyres over here and they are managing to drive around in winter conditions, it was snowing so hard yesterday you couldnt see more than 20metres in front of you - they were still driving.

What exactly do you expect snow mode to do?? it wont make the care into a sudden go anywhere vehicle - it just dampens the throttle response and if an auto starts off in a higher gear. if the car doesnt have the tyres to handle cold weather and snow then how can you expect snow mode to do anything?

rubbish! why do people insist on caling winter tyres snow tyres? they are winter tyres designed to handle cold weather and the associated snow. using the term snow tyres gives the impression they are only for snow which is false.

There are many large porsche's, ferrari's and i even saw a lambo the other day with winter tyres over here and they are managing to drive around in winter conditions, it was snowing so hard yesterday you couldnt see more than 20metres in front of you - they were still driving.

What exactly do you expect snow mode to do?? it wont make the care into a sudden go anywhere vehicle - it just dampens the throttle response and if an auto starts off in a higher gear. if the car doesnt have the tyres to handle cold weather and snow then how can you expect snow mode to do anything?

I think we are at cross purposes - I should have said winter tyres and I agree they would make a huge difference in cold, icy, slippery conditions. And yes, snow mode can only help prevent you from doing something stupid with 417 BHP when grip is poor and no, it doesn't magically give the car normal traction.

The tyres specified for ISFs and supplied on them are not winter tyres. In the UK - particularly in the South - by your standards we don't even get winters and thick snow is very rare. So to fit tyres just for these conditions would not be worthwhile at about 50000 Euros a set plus suitable rims for a week-long once-in-a-decade event. A dispensible old banger would be a cheaper and better solution - probably more fun, maybe useful afterwoods and easier to store than a great big pile of wheels.

Recently, the snow here was about 30cm thick and this means the nose of the ISF just digs in and even with super-traction winter tyres would prevent reaching treated or busy roads with snow flattened by usage from my completely untreated road. Even if I had been able to reach the nearest "busy" road, the enormous ridge of snow & ice in the middle would have simply destroyed the plastic spoiler/front assembly; so I stand by by remark that the ISF is rubbish in any real amount of snow - but should have qualified it with "here" and "as it is supplied".

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links