Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Vs. Cold Weather

Hi All,

For my first ever topic posted:

With this cold weather my fan-belt (I think?) is having a rough time. It squeals a good bit for the first minute after setting off until the car warms up. Similarly, the steering seems very very stiff and almost a little unresponsive for the first minute.

Is this just an unfortunate feature of the car or do I have a problem?

tks!

If your steering is heavy at the same time as the belt is screeching then it could well be the power steering pump belt slipping.

Pop the bonnet and check the tension of the belts, there should be a little movement in them but not an excessive amount.

If the power steering belt is tight enough and in good nick then try cleaning the thing because they get covered in muck and slip on full load. Might work. If you need to change it, full set of belts is advised. They come in a set from the usual suspects and the labour should be the same.

If the power steering belt is tight enough and in good nick then try cleaning the thing because they get covered in muck and slip on full load. Might work. If you need to change it, full set of belts is advised. They come in a set from the usual suspects and the labour should be the same.

is it a big job to change all the belts??

surely not the same procedure to changing a cambelt???? i know that is not a small task.. wondering if its the same for the remainder or easier?

Sorry mate, I just meant the 3 external drive belts on the front of the engine. You have to remove 2 to get at the power steering belt so the labour should be about the same for 1 or 3.

Ah, sounds like a difficult job... I'm not the most hands-on person when it comes to cars so that might be asking a little much!! Hmmm I might just live with the (incredibly image destroying and embarrassing) load squealling noise until the weather warms up!

Cheers for the replies lads

Maybe the belt just needs to be adjusted or tightened. Belts stretch and get a little lose over time, if you cannot adjust it anymore, you can put some soap (dry) on the belt. It will stop the squeak for a few weeks.

Unfortunatly due to the adverse cold weather were having at the moment it doesnt help......on the other hand my alternator is about to pack in ,,,,car starts with a jump , also my Battery has a full charge :( relegated to driving the old mans volvo 940 over the holidays :(

Unfortunatly due to the adverse cold weather were having at the moment it doesnt help......on the other hand my alternator is about to pack in ,,,,car starts with a jump , also my battery has a full charge :( relegated to driving the old mans volvo 940 over the holidays :(

I feel your pain, I ended up driving the family '95 dark green 850 volvo estate earlier... wasn't going to chance driving on the ice with the new lex like!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links