Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

When new, my IS250 came with Dunlop SP Sport Maxx tyres. I found these to be excellent, with reasonably good wear. I got about 25,000 miles from each of two sets - front and rear.

However, when I last needed to change these, I was told they were not made any longer and had been replaced by Dunlop Sport 01. I had these installed on the rear.

In driving home yesterday, I hit some standing water and the rear end of the car zig zagged across the road a few times. The traction control kept the car in the lane, but the jolt was so sudden, I banged my head on the window or pillar. I've had never experienced this before in such a small amount of water, and couldn't quite figure out why it had happened.

The rear tyres were relatively new - fitted only 7 months and 9,000 miles ago, but I checked them anyway.

I was absolutely shocked to find that both rear tyres were worn evenly across the width of the tyre, as far as the tread depth indicators.

I don't drive hard, so I am quite annoyed at this level of wear in such a short period of time and that I could have written-off the car yesterday.

How is it possible that these tyres lasted a third as long as my previous few sets, that this model replaced, from the same manufacturer?

Is this normal? Is it possible there has been a bad batch of these tyres? I've not found anything on the net about it!

Only hope I can get some proper tyres fitted in the next few days - I have some long journeys ahead.

When new, my IS250 came with Dunlop SP Sport Maxx tyres. I found these to be excellent, with reasonably good wear. I got about 25,000 miles from each of two sets - front and rear.

However, when I last needed to change these, I was told they were not made any longer and had been replaced by Dunlop Sport 01. I had these installed on the rear.

In driving home yesterday, I hit some standing water and the rear end of the car zig zagged across the road a few times. The traction control kept the car in the lane, but the jolt was so sudden, I banged my head on the window or pillar. I've had never experienced this before in such a small amount of water, and couldn't quite figure out why it had happened.

The rear tyres were relatively new - fitted only 7 months and 9,000 miles ago, but I checked them anyway.

I was absolutely shocked to find that both rear tyres were worn evenly across the width of the tyre, as far as the tread depth indicators.

I don't drive hard, so I am quite annoyed at this level of wear in such a short period of time and that I could have written-off the car yesterday.

How is it possible that these tyres lasted a third as long as my previous few sets, that this model replaced, from the same manufacturer?

Is this normal? Is it possible there has been a bad batch of these tyres? I've not found anything on the net about it!

Only hope I can get some proper tyres fitted in the next few days - I have some long journeys ahead.

Thanks for the warning. I have Dunlop sport Maxx front and rear with about 30k (miles) on them. Rear tyres still above break rubber, front now need replacing. Was thinking about Sport 01, but i will now avoid them.

Who told you Dunlop Sport Maxx were not available? I have checked on various websites and it seems they are available http://www.blackcircles.com/order or http://www.eiretyres.com/start.html...........I also made enquiries with fastfit http://www.fastfit.ie/ and they told me they had them. As a matter of interest, please let me know what tyres you get and how much they cost you as i am in the market for a new set.

Adjust - it was Charles Hurst Tyres in Belfast told me the Sport Maxx were not made any more. They're also the only Lexus dealer in Northern Ireland. I would have assumed they would know and I didn't have time to cross-check or source them elsewhere.

Has anyone experienced these SP01 tyres going from new to legal minimum in 9000 miles? It just doesn't seem right. Do I have any recourse here at all?

• 4 weeks later...

I got 36,500 miles out of my original Dunlop Sport Maxx tyres. Just last week I changed them for another set (£400) and had no problem in getting hold of them through my local supplier.

Matt - mine were R17s.

Guess the Sport Maxx are still available everywhere apart from Northern Ireland! I have to agree - they are very good and I'll have more time to shop around next time. I needed to replace those awful SP01s very quickly when I realised they were down to about 1mm after 9,000 miles, so with a choice of Dunlop SP01 or Pirelli Zero Rosso's, I put the Pirelli's on the rear. I'll monitor their wear more carefully than I did the SP01s! Once bitten....

Ro.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all

I have a similar issue with the dunlop sport maxx - The car came with dunlop sport maxx and I got a good 40k from all four tyres without any problem.

I replaced the front ones in January 2009 with the same brand and had to replace them again in August (inner edge worn out - only 10000 miles). I was told its best to keep the same brand since the rear ones were fine. This was all replaced by lexus dealer.

I have just realised that both the front ones have worn out again (only 9000 miles)....The centre did ensure that the alignment was done correctly at the time.

Surprisingly the rear ones are fine. They were replaced by Kwikfit!

I am just wondering if anyone had any thoughts/suggestions.....is it better to change to some other brand?

Nightmare for ya mate!

The P Zero's should be good, but don't expect the life to be all that ;)

Just stay away from Goodyear F1's!!! i really thought they would be the muts, but OMG they were awful!

matt555, im surprised to hear you say this about the Goodyear F1s. Was thinking about going for these next time but interested to

hear about your experience on these tyres. what was so bad about them?

matt555, im surprised to hear you say this about the Goodyear F1s. Was thinking about going for these next time but interested to

hear about your experience on these tyres. what was so bad about them?

Not as surprised as i was mate!! on the IS we had Bridgestones then Dunlop sport Maxx, then i went for F1's from an online company (which i won't use again). Each replacement was a full set and the car had covered 60k when we moved it on..

The F1's which I thought would be quiet and secure were simply awful on the IS - the back end was spin up with the smallest amount of throttle, the MPG went down to 32mpg from 35mpg consistantly. they were noisey and generally so poor, i considered just changing them after 2k miles!! i am not even sure if they were straight tyres to be honest... they really were that bad!! the dunlops were the best by far....

we now have yoko's on the GS, i won't be messing with them!!!!

Matt - mine were R17s.

Guess the Sport Maxx are still available everywhere apart from Northern Ireland! I have to agree - they are very good and I'll have more time to shop around next time. I needed to replace those awful SP01s very quickly when I realised they were down to about 1mm after 9,000 miles, so with a choice of Dunlop SP01 or Pirelli Zero Rosso's, I put the Pirelli's on the rear. I'll monitor their wear more carefully than I did the SP01s! Once bitten....

Ro.

For the next time,Kwikfit in Newry have them.