48 members have voted

1. 1. How long will you keep your lexus

• untill 2011
    • up to 2 more years
    • up to 3 more years
    • up to 5 more years
    • up to 10 more years
    • forever or until its a classic

Just curious how long people will keep there is200 for?

I really like my car and havent really considered buying a new car since I have owned it. previous to this i swapped my cars like mobile phones. The only reason I'd ever consider selling or getting rid is the MPG. I'd love to keep it for many years and hopefully in 20 years it could be a classic.

Whats your thoughts guys?

My/Wife's IS200 is now 8 years old and apart from a replacement shock absorber has been fault free. It is still a superb car to drive, doesn't squeek/rattle, no rust. It's negative points, MPG and wayward back end if pushed in wet or even driven on snow/ice need to be considered. The bad MPG is cancelled out by the mammoth cost of changing it and, of what I have read, I will change the back tyres to Rainsport 2's ASAP.

There is therefore no compelling reason to change it. I think that it will be many years before it becomes a classic. There are simply too many of them.

My/Wife's IS200 is now 8 years old and apart from a replacement shock absorber has been fault free. It is still a superb car to drive, doesn't squeek/rattle, no rust. It's negative points, MPG and wayward back end if pushed in wet or even driven on snow/ice need to be considered. The bad MPG is cancelled out by the mammoth cost of changing it and, of what I have read, I will change the back tyres to Rainsport 2's ASAP.

There is therefore no compelling reason to change it. I think that it will be many years before it becomes a classic. There are simply too many of them.

This is direct from wikipedia. doesnt seem to have a complete answer

United Kingdom

There is no fixed definition of a classic car. Two taxation issues do impact however, leading to some people using them as cutoff dates. All cars built before January 1, 1973, are exempted from paying the annual road tax vehicle excise duty. This is then entered on the license disc displayed on the windscreen as "historic vehicle" (if a car built before this date has been first registered in 1973 or later, then its build date would have to be verified by a recognized body such as British Motor Heritage Foundation to claim tax free status). The HM Revenue & Customs define a classic car for company taxation purposes as being over 15 years old and having a value in excess of £15,000.[4]

[edit] Modern classics

The Porsche 944 may be considered a modern classic.These vehicles are generally older, anywhere from 15–25 years, but are not accepted as classics according to the Antique Automobile Club of America. In the UK the Modern Classic definition is open to the discretion often by Insurance Brokers and Insurance Companies who regard a Modern Classic as a vehicle that is considered collectible regardless of age. [5]

I'm keeping mine until its fit for the scrapyard- mines 9 years old and on 130k, so its not worth selling.

Makes sense (to me) to run my IS200 then scrap it. Had my IS200 for nearly 7 years now- bought it when it was 2 years old. This is the most reliable car I have owned.

I have my IS200 manual for 2 years now. 172 000 km on the clock.

I only consider an upgrade to IS300 automatic. When I find good low mileage IS300 I'll be keeping it for a very long time, so voted "forever" in the poll.

Had mine since 2002 and even with the road tax price hike i'm still keeping it. I don't whats going to die first, the is200 or me ^_^

As yours is a 2002 model you are in band "K" which, at the moment is £215, so still not too bad. Better than £415 which it should be for the CO2 level.

Im gonna keep it till it dies.

I'm doing the same.

Although considering it's the most reliable car I've ever owned it would make zero sense to get rid of it.

A serious tax hike might make me see things differently. But I can see my baby lasting so long that only it, the cockroaches, and mandelslime are sharing the planet (a chilling thought) :crybaby:

I've had mine since 2002, it's a 2000 W Reg, bought it with 75k on the clock, it's now done 130k. It's been a fantastic car with no problems, a real pleasure to own and drive. I thought I would keep it until it was ready for the scrapper - but I've traded it in this week, I will be really sad to see it go :crybaby: but can't wait for the weather to get better so I can pick up my IS 250!!! :D

Difficult car to let go of. Trouble is you have to drive it to garages to try out other cars, and by the time you get there you dont want to sell it - Only bad point on IS is the mpg.

No point trading it for some Eco box, wont enjoy it as much and probably end up spending a load more cash getting it for a lesser car.

Certainly keeping it for the foreseeable future; might let it go for a RX400H thought, when the price is right :unsure:

Just curious how long people will keep there is200 for?

I really like my car and havent really considered buying a new car since I have owned it. previous to this i swapped my cars like mobile phones. The only reason I'd ever consider selling or getting rid is the MPG. I'd love to keep it for many years and hopefully in 20 years it could be a classic.

Whats your thoughts guys?

We had a 1999 is200 for nearly four years, as it was rapidly approaching 155k miles we decided that perhaps time to change it, went out and bought a 56 plate toyota thinking we would get at least some of the qualities we loved in the Lexus. How very wrong we were, we only kept the Toyota for 7 weeks. I am pleased to say i now am the proud owner of another is200. Hope to keep it for many years to come.

5 years old & only 16k on the clock, so probably forever :blush:

Beautiful & comfortable family cruiser.

Or until I can afford an upgrade to something proven to be better (or it gets written off - like my last car :crybaby: ).

Is the IS250 the current successor?