Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyres Replaced.. Now Having Driving Issues

Hiya,

I've had to replace my rear tyres, replaced with brand new Dunlop SP9000 by a mobile service. Since the fitting, driving isn't as it should be. When I'm on the motorway, it's like I can just feel the road more and going around corners (around 70-80mph), the car doesn't feel as steady, like I have to be more aware with driving. Like there was more of a pull and any movement of the steering wheel causes a sharp movement.. whereas before there wasn't an issue.

I thought it was a wheel balance issue, Lexus balanced all 4 wheels (free of charge, cleaned the car too!) My front two tyres were replaced in Sept 08 and still have a decent tread. .. should I have replaced these too?

Has anyone experienced this after replacing tyres? It's a bit hard to explain the exact sensation when driving, but feels like car would get out of control if I do drive fast on the motorway. . . could it be that my tyres that I had replaced (were just about legal), was softer and didn't feel the road much? Is this how a IS200 should drive?

Any pointers will help.

Many thanks.

Uzzi

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem with my IS200 when I replaced my rear tyres a couple of years ago.

I'd already replaced the fronts previously with the original fitment, Dunlop SP9000. Dunlop used to make a version of the SP9000 specifically for the IS200, marked with the suffix L (for Lexus). I've been told that these had strengthened side walls. These were what I specified and had fitted on the front. Unfortunately when I came to replace the back ones about a year later the L version was no longer available so I had to go with the standard version.

After fitting these on the back I experienced the exact same symptoms as you. To try to get around this I swapped the backs with the fronts. This did alleviate the problem to a degree but it was never back to how it handled originally.

I hope that helps, Dave.

by the way where did you get your tyres from? I used etyres.

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem with my IS200 when I replaced my rear tyres a couple of years ago.

I'd already replaced the fronts previously with the original fitment, Dunlop SP9000. Dunlop used to make a version of the SP9000 specifically for the IS200, marked with the suffix L (for Lexus). I've been told that these had strengthened side walls. These were what I specified and had fitted on the front. Unfortunately when I came to replace the back ones about a year later the L version was no longer available so I had to go with the standard version.

After fitting these on the back I experienced the exact same symptoms as you. To try to get around this I swapped the backs with the fronts. This did alleviate the problem to a degree but it was never back to how it handled originally.

I hope that helps, Dave.

by the way where did you get your tyres from? I used etyres.

I used etyres too :( Oh nuts, I really should have done my research before getting them replaced. .Is it worth getting the wheels aligned? It felt so dangerous to drive, I really didn't like it, want my car back!

I have used etyres in the past, but had no issues at all with them.

In my experience, every time new tyres are fitted, the car feels different for a thousand miles or so as the tyres scrub in and settle to the precise geometry of the suspension. I'm sure it will settle down shortly...

Checked my front tyres, they were a little low but not drastic. Will see how it goes.

Mike B, that's exactly what I needed to hear! I thought it would just take a little time for "adjustment" but whoever I ask are a little miffed that new tyres could be causing an issue. I'll let it settle (will do 1,000 miles in a few weeks, already done 400).

I just have to not worry about the little quirky things the car does, like over taking the slower cars feels a little odd.. like there is a force going against where I want to go when I'm driving fast. Local motoring is totally fine so I'll see how things go.

If it continues after a month, I'll get the alignment done.

Steve... how do I know if the car is tram lining? (have no idea what that is!)

I would say its down to 2 things.

First, the SP9000's that are available now are NOT the Lexus version. Way to check is to look on the sidewall and check if made in Japan or Germany. If Germany then not the Lexus version. If Japan, then you are ok. The difference is in tyre compound and a stiffer sidewall. The 2 are effectively completely different. Dunlop do NOT recommend the Sp9000 (normal) for the IS200.

Second - new tyres will take a while to "scrub in" so may feel a bit like there is not much grip when you go round a corner. This will get better after a few miles have gone under their belts.

Personally, I need 4 new tyres and after doing a lot of searching and speaking to Dunlop tech services, I am going for the Dunlop Maxx TT's. I hope they will be ok as they are not cheap.

Shame about the older SP9000's though as I loved em. Had 2 sets of 4 and each done over 30k so can't be bad. The fronts at the moment still have loads on them, except for one of the inner edges, which I am putting down to a sticking caliper on the opposite side causing me to have to steer off centre - and maybe a slight knock out of the alignment which I am getting check also when putting tyres on.

Decided that for me and my car, I have never had an issue with the Lexus settings so am gonna go with them rather than tempt fate with WIM settings (no offence). I would feel gutted it after spending £400 on new tyres, plus the £100 to do the alignment, I have to get 2 new fronts and re-align after 10k or so, as this was never the case.

Stick to what you know sometimes works the best.

I am certain that the SP9000s that you have had fitted won't be the original Lexus spec ones; these haven't been available for over two years now.

Have you tried swapping the fronts to the back a vis versa as I did?

By the way I wasn't saying anything against etyres in my previous post. I have nothing but praise for them. I have used them on 4 occasions now for replacement tyres on mine, my wife's and my daughter's cars. I am just about to order some more tyres from them for my wife's car to be fitted some time next week.

Hope you get it sorted soon, cause I know what it's like when your car just doesn't feel quite right, especially when you have experienced the normal excellent IS200 drive.

Dave

Uzi Wozzi - Check the rear tyre pressures as thats probably the cause. Also new tyres have a mold release agent on them when they are fitted. This comes off after a while and the tryes will get more sticky.

Kevdood - Have you had your geo set to the WIM settings as that gets rid of the inner tyre wear problem your experiencing?

edeath - No I haven't, mainly because in the past I have never experienced excessive inner wear. As I said, I have got more than 30k from all my tyres in the past which I think is very good. Especially compared to some on hear where after 5-10k the inner edge is knackered.

So I sort of think that for my car the standard settings are fine. If thats what lexus decided upon then great. Ok so the inner edges do wear quicker than the rest of the tyre, but thats to be expected on a car which has such a camber setting - this has to be a balance between handling and wear.

It seems that for other cars, they are not so lucky, maybe their settings are on one side of the tolerance band, and I am on the other - I don't know.

But as I said, if I changed to WIM settings, then not only would it cost be around £20 in fuel for a round trip, but £100 for the adjustments and if after all that, I find that after a year or 2 my wear rate has increased, then I wil lnot be happy.

Its a shame though that Tony is so far away, because I would ideally like someone like him (who knows his stuff and appears to be an honest chap) to set my car up with any settings. With other places, you just never know. A bit like servicing too I guess.

I have had the car done at Micheldever before, and its been ok so am hoping that continues!! Tony, if you are watching, you heard anything good or bad abotu Micheldver Tyres?

A car will always feel very different when swapping from worn to new tyres, even if they're the exact same brand, compound and tread pattern.

The old tyres will have little tread left, and the rubber will have hardened after hundreds of heat cycles and years of being exposed to the elements.

The new ones will be nice and soft and supple with maximum tread depth.

Whenever I change tyres I never expect it to feel the same afterwards.

My Type-R will go through a set of front tyres in about 8,000miles, so after changing them very often it's something I've learned to adjust to.

Second - new tyres will take a while to "scrub in" so may feel a bit like there is not much grip when you go round a corner. This will get better after a few miles have gone under their belts.

I've found Dunlops to be quiet bad in this respect. I put Direzza DZ101 on the rear of my old Levin BZ-G & they didn't grip for the first few 100 miles. It was quiet un-nerving. Didn't have this problem with my current Bridgestone RE001 on the Altezza. They gripped right from day one.