Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dubai

MAT_8N

i'm going to be stopping over there for 2 nights and wondered if there's any advice of what i can do in a day! what not to miss or do?

i fancy a swim in the sea and a drink in a bar as i'm working in saudi now and there is no alcohol!

a quick look round the shops maybe?

any advice would be cool

ta

If you have a few days there get the hotel to book you a taxi for half a day and the driver will take you on a "city" tour, then include the palm and the beach road, they will stop wherever you want them to and wait for you, even take the pictures for you.

Some hotels provide courtesy shuttle buses to the beach and malls and will arrange transfers to and from the airport

Dubai is suffering from the recession just like everywhere else so haggle the price ( normal proceedure over there).

There are loads of shops and upmarket malls.

If you want to visit the 6/7 star hotels you have to book in advance and pay just to go in but the cost sometimes includes a drink or you have to spend a certain amount whilst in there.

Most of the hotels sell alcohol to tourists but expect to pay £5-8 for a bottle.

There is also a "pecking order" when it comes to service the "locals" come 1st normally followed by "europeans" so don't get upset if a Sheik pushes in front of you or is offered service before you even if you are in front in the queue.

As regards swimming "mixed" bathing even with a married partner is frowned upon.

Save 1/2 day to go to 'Wild Wadi' water park on Jumeirah Beach its great fun and when you've had enough you can walk over onto the sandy beach go for a dip then sit under a 'cabana' and be served drinks & food whilst looking at the burj al arab hotel & if you're feeling rich & dressed 'properly' you could go up to the sky bar and have a drink :D

Save 1/2 day to go to 'Wild Wadi' water park on Jumeirah Beach its great fun and when you've had enough you can walk over onto the sandy beach go for a dip then sit under a 'cabana' and be served drinks & food whilst looking at the burj al arab hotel & if you're feeling rich & dressed 'properly' you could go up to the sky bar and have a drink :D

A must is wild wadi, its brilliant am planning a trip back out there with the kids later in the year

B)....Dubai land was supposed to be opening in 2009, not sure if it did or not...

only going for half a day! flying out thurday, get there about 7pm and flying back on the 9pm flight so its just going to be a heavy session on the drink thursday night then a quick wander round the shops then maybe that wild wadi or just a chill on the beach.

i'm only going because i'm working in saudi and my 30 day visa is up and you have to leave the country for a night! crazy going on.

I have been to dubai 7 times in the last 5 years and it changes everytime - love the place. Helps that I have friends living and working over there so they tend to sort everything out but here are some recommendations:

Wild Wadi's - brill water park as everyone else suggests. There is also a cool water park (Atlantis) as part of the Atlantis hotel on the Palm Jumeriah

The Burj Dubai, massive massive sky scraper - think there is a bar near the top

Plenty of malls - Mall of the Emirates and Dubai Mall to name two - the latter IIRC has a massive massive fish tank - give it a google its insane!

Arabian Nights do a really good desert safari, dune racing, then evening of entertainment (took several friends on them and they really enjoyed it)

Further afield we did a sky dive (at a fraction of the price) and went shooting in the desert (need transport tho).

In the day you can normally use your hotels beach complex's, or pay a surcharge to use another hotels facilities. I remember the first time I went there was a public beach where we hired jet ski's and flew along the side of the Burj Al-Arab - some nice photo ops.

There are hundreds of bars / hotels with new ones opening all the time. Some of the best drinking sessions can held in hotel "brunches" where you get all you can eat / drink for a one off price - very popular with the english locals. Dubai Marina is really good and has a fantastic Irish bar on the complex but at the old town end of Dubai.

I tended to favour the drinking and entertainment, however, There are market areas if you are interested called Souk - gold souk is great for cheap gold / jewellry.

Everyone is really friendly, locals and English - no one dares misbehave! The service is amazing!