Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Power Steering Belt Slipping

Hi all,

I have searched through our workshop and there is a guide to replacing drive belts but being so old the photobucket links are out of date.

I attempted to tighten my Power Steering Belt this afternoon but couldnt quite work out how. Now I have tightened the bolts that I loosened back up again my belt is actually more slack and slipping worse than before.

Can anyone please talk me through how to tighen the belt....what bolts to loosen, and where the pulley pivots from so i get a lever bar in the right place for tightening back u?

Reluctant to drive with the belt so slack....

Thanks for your help

Bill

Hi all,

I have searched through our workshop and there is a guide to replacing drive belts but being so old the photobucket links are out of date.

I attempted to tighten my Power Steering Belt this afternoon but couldnt quite work out how. Now I have tightened the bolts that I loosened back up again my belt is actually more slack and slipping worse than before.

Can anyone please talk me through how to tighen the belt....what bolts to loosen, and where the pulley pivots from so i get a lever bar in the right place for tightening back u?

Thanks for your help

Bill

just pm'd you mate.....

Hi all,

Thanks for your help

Bill

just pm'd you mate.....

Is there much point getting OEM drive belts? Seen all three on eBay for £22....would you advise going for OEM or not bother considering Iill have to pay RRP?

Possible....Though doesnt the power steering belt also serve the water pump? I think the water pump may have a double pulley?

Even though I have now tightened my PAS belt I still have a kinda whistling noise coming from my engine on idle which also gets faster with revs. Do you think this could be some sort of bearing wearing out? Poss water pump? If my ears serve me well it does seem to come from the water pump and PAS pump area but cant be a belt coz I have adjusted all my belts now.

Whats the average life of a water pump?

If I am not mistaken, a water pump on the way out is quite loud and can be heard from inside the car, even at tick over. You also get a coolant leak. I had a squeel from the engine area which only occured whilst turning and could only be heard from outside. Deduced it was the PAS but found the belt to be tight and in good condition. I wiped the inside of the pulleys and the inside of the belt and the noise went away.

• 5 years later...

hi ormi - can you please pm me too with the instructions - I have searched the forums and I have been unable to find a pic indicating which nuts/bolts need to be undone to tighten the power steering belt - I can only see the one nut which is on a slider to move the power steering vane pump away from the engine ...

The reason I want to tighten is that the pump pulley continues to spin but the belt stops/starts/stops/starts when I turn the steering wheel when cold - I tested with the bonnet up at initial start-up on a cold day - this all goes away when warmed up - I also read on here that if you can turn the belt through an angle of greater than 90 degrees, which I can, then the belt is too loose ...

Thanks Ormi for your time or anyone else that is kind enough to reply :)

• 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi Billnick and Ormi,

Would be possible for one of you to share how to do what this article originally asking for? There is literally not a single 'how-to...' article regarding power steering belt/pump removal out there. I am planning to do one - but as a not-so-mechanic minded, it would be more comfortable in the back of my mind doing it as a 'DIY- goers' with some instruction.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Bood