Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Appeared Dead Then Wasnt ?

carlb

Hi guys,

i have an is200 which has coughed up a new issue. i drove the car fine several times yesterday no problems then came home and about 3-4 hours later went to start the car and nothing happened as if Battery was total dead. it wasnt of cause as i had been driving fine all day and hadnt left lights or anything on. the courtesy light came on and when i tried turning key in ignition sometimes the dash lights came on and sometimes nothing but there was no clicking or attempt to turn over then after a few tries totaly nothing couldnt lock car either. so i presumed was my Battery so i had to put the car in neutral and pushed it back a bit as was parked facing the wall too close for access. i tested the Battery and was fine couldnt see anything obvious (not mechanic and was also dark) so closed bonnet and just tried it again out of curiosity and it started totaly normal?

i have today seen my connection for the black/negative is a little dodgy as in its looks a bit knackered from being taken off n on and doesnt seem very tight although have tightened it to max seems worn.

i hope its just a case of replacing this but is there anything else i should check too?

N.B my car usually starts immediatelt on turn of key but recently its sounded a bit tired as if Battery is dead but still starts. might be due to cold weather and me being picky as is literaly an extra 2 seconds !

thanks

am gonna replace both terminal connections tomorrow that seems simple enough job.

when you say check connections especially ones to chassis how many n where will i find these to do so ?

thanks

Carl

am gonna replace both terminal connections tomorrow that seems simple enough job.

when you say check connections especially ones to chassis how many n where will i find these to do so ?

thanks

Carl

follow the negative cables from the Battery

and any black and white cables

make sure they are tight and there isnt any corrosion, wipe a smear of vaseline or copper grease to prevent any corrosion

not as simple as i thought. so i nipped to Halfords on my lunch and bought a new negative terminal connector only 1 type available which seems to be a standard round connection with the bit to attach cable into it with 2 screws.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...tegoryId_165629

however when i looked properly it appears the ones on the car already are right angled from across the top of Battery and down the side to the cable using metal connections. the cable is very tight and has no play in it so wont reach the new connector when i put it on as i would have to take the metal angled bit off the end of the cable

http://i34.tinypic.com/oaxi8g.jpg this looks like european or something so the negative is on left side but the same setup

i did notice they sell positive and negative cables about 12" long on the same display at Halfords could i replace the cable too? i cant actually see where the other end goes though or connects to?

probably making a simple job complicated but just cant figure it and i hate messing with any electrics on the car

thanks

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links