Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Disabling Traction Control

I have to say that in the dry, I drive with TRC off - but in the wet, it's always left on...

can I ask why?

purely because I don't know the difference it makes - surely if it's dry and you don't "need" it, there is nothing wrong with having in on.

Does it make a difference?

• Like 1

can I ask why?

Sure you can Matt!

I personally think it can be intrusive (as mentioned previously in this thread). I do not want it TRC kicking in when I least expect it on a dry day taking a corner. I'm not saying I thrash the pants off my car - because I don't. However, I also want to be able to drive the car to the limits I am comfortable with, based on conditions, without having to worry about TRC cutting in.

Anyway, with my S/C fitted by this time tomorrow, I won't be able to move without it switched off......... :D

• Like 1

I am totally confused by this one 'TC' is not a legal requirement to have on any car so there fore has nill effect to your insurance premiums. When the ignition is switched off and then on again it defaults to 'ON' so how would anybody know you were driving with it swiched off at the time of an accident as the first thing that happens after accident is 'You turn off the igintion' or someone arriving at the scene turns it off, They don't check to see if your TC light is on.

Wheel spinning and power sliding is great fun in the right place and that is not on public roads :iraqi-info-minister: and if you do you deserve all you get.

I am totally confused by this one 'TC' is not a legal requirement to have on any car so there fore has nill effect to your insurance premiums. When the ignition is switched off and then on again it defaults to 'ON' so how would anybody know you were driving with it swiched off at the time of an accident as the first thing that happens after accident is 'You turn off the igintion' or someone arriving at the scene turns it off, They don't check to see if your TC light is on.

Wheel spinning and power sliding is great fun in the right place and that is not on public roads :iraqi-info-minister: and if you do you deserve all you get.

exactly what i said.. who is gonna know.

but do you know for sure that modding the traction control to be permanently off isnt gonna affect your insurance?

Do you have solid proof that if it was modded to be off at all times that the insurance company will pay up?

• Like 1

Anyway, with my S/C fitted by this time tomorrow, I won't be able to move without it switched off.........  :D

Why's that then Zee ?

It would be forever kicking in when I release the clutch Chris.... have a go yourself once yours done - both with and without....

exactly what i said.. who is gonna know.

but do you know for sure that modding the traction control to be permanently off isnt gonna affect your insurance?

Do you have solid proof that if it was modded to be off at all times that the insurance company will pay up?

I don't know for sure as I don't work in the car insurance industry. If someone wanted to permanently disconnect the 'TC' one way is to remove the 'FUSE' very simple process but could be very stupid, as I would check first that the 'ABS' is not effect by this. The only other way is through the 'PCM' again not a good idea unless you know what you doing and have access to some very expensive piece of kit and know what parameters to change. Dealers can't even do IT.

The silly thing is that there's a switch you can just press to switch off the 'TC' why would anyone want permanently disconnect it.

OKAY BACK TO THE QUESTION...

yes, there is a way to reverse the TRAC Button so when u turn the car on, it will be off and when u want it on, just push the button. PM me if you want to know how.

-ADVANCE

Many, if not all insurance companies have this catch-all called "duty of disclosure". An example of this is:

"...you (or your agent) must provide the (insurance) Company with all material information that is likely to influence the acceptance and/or assessment of your proposal. If you are in doubt whether a particular item of information is material in this respect you should include it. Your failure to do so may give the Company the right to refuse the claims which you make, and in certain circumstances to void the (insurance) policy altogether. It is an offence under the Road Traffic Act to make any false statement or withold any material information..."

If you modify a safety feature that is designed by the manufacturer to be "on" by default, to be "off" by default, then you are altering the default operating parameters of the car, and my money is on the fact that the insurance company WILL want to know (any excuse for them to bump up your premium!) :sad:

If you disable TRC and have an accident as a result, the chances of the insurance company finding out are pretty slim, BUT if they do find out you slid your £20K beauty off the road and totalled it because you re-wired the TRC to be off by default, then my guess is they'll refuse or significantly reduce your claim (to something like 3rd party). I for one don't see the point in paying them hundreds of quid a year and then giving them an excuse to not pay a claim. Better to leave it wired "on" and just switch it off for those fun days :shifty:

And another thing, it's pretty easy to get my IS to "tramp" when pulling away quickly, even on dry roads, and especially when pulling out of a side road. So I agree - the system is somewhat crude. :huh:

• 16 years later...

So I recently purchased an is300 it’s an automatic, and I was trying to slide it after I turned traction control off and it started beeping at me and it acted like traction control was still on. I don’t want to completely disable traction control I still want to have it in the winter, but is there a way to fully turn it off so I can actually have fun? is it the vsc that I’m experiencing? The car is a 2002. I’m just trying to find a way to disable it so I can slide when I want to. 

• 6 months later...