Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all

This is my first post and its a problem so sorry for just coming in and asking for advice/help/info!

I have a 220d (yes should have bought petrol, my mistake before anyone says anything), and its a SE-L so it has HID lights. Anyway my problem is when driving along they just go out. Has anyone else had this problem or known of it happening before? Its very unnerving driving along a motorway at (um) 70 and all of a sudden losing your headlights. I am pretty sure my side front/read lights are still on (although I don't know I can't see) but just the dipped beam seems to just go off. The only way I can get them back on is by turning the lights totally to off and back on. Its not an auto lights problem as it happens even when they are in th ON position.

I've also noticed when pulling into my drive that sometimes one headlight is out and not both, guess when that happens I don't notice until I pull up against something that one has gone out as I still have light onto the road ahead.

Well its going back to Lexus Monday but thats still a good few days away, which I think for a major issue is poor for the only time they can look at it! But has anyone else had this problem that maybe there is something I can look at in the mean time?

Just want to say tho, this is my first Lexus and apart from this problem and the poor fuel economy (going to bring up that point too when it goes in Monday), I love the car. Very quiet to drive even in the diesel and a nice smooth ride.... Plus love the sound system!

cheers for any help

Paul

Sounds like a problem with the ballasts - unusual for both to go together like that but it can happen, as an example my brother had exactly the same problem in his BMW a few years ago.

Hi all

This is my first post and its a problem so sorry for just coming in and asking for advice/help/info!

I have a 220d (yes should have bought petrol, my mistake before anyone says anything), and its a SE-L so it has HID lights. Anyway my problem is when driving along they just go out. Has anyone else had this problem or known of it happening before? Its very unnerving driving along a motorway at (um) 70 and all of a sudden losing your headlights. I am pretty sure my side front/read lights are still on (although I don't know I can't see) but just the dipped beam seems to just go off. The only way I can get them back on is by turning the lights totally to off and back on. Its not an auto lights problem as it happens even when they are in th ON position.

I've also noticed when pulling into my drive that sometimes one headlight is out and not both, guess when that happens I don't notice until I pull up against something that one has gone out as I still have light onto the road ahead.

Well its going back to Lexus Monday but thats still a good few days away, which I think for a major issue is poor for the only time they can look at it! But has anyone else had this problem that maybe there is something I can look at in the mean time?

Just want to say tho, this is my first Lexus and apart from this problem and the poor fuel economy (going to bring up that point too when it goes in Monday), I love the car. Very quiet to drive even in the diesel and a nice smooth ride.... Plus love the sound system!

cheers for any help

Paul

AS Parthiban suggests, probably HID ballasts. But if you can do this, try switching to high beam. If they are out too, it is something different because they are conventional filaments and not HID and the information would help Lexus when you take it in.

Exactly the same problem here. Took it to the dealer who said they have to replace the unit. Apparently it costs £900 but he said the extended warranty will cover this.

Also if you have an extended warranty, please note that the dealer will say you have to pay for the bulbs (£160) since its wear and tear even though the problem is with the unit. only the unit will be replaced by the warranty. This is not true, speak to the Head of service and they should sort this out...

Hi all

cheers for any help

Paul

AS Parthiban suggests, probably HID ballasts. But if you can do this, try switching to high beam. If they are out too, it is something different because they are conventional filaments and not HID and the information would help Lexus when you take it in.

I was under the impression that the IS had BI Xenon headlight?

by the sound of it, u have an issue with your bulbs- if your cape-able, with ignition off and Battery disconnected (due to high voltages) remove your hid bulb, (dont touch the glass part of the bulb). if the center bubble of the hid bulb has any clouding- then it will require a new bulb. the bulb will light up but go out again as it isnt air-tight. the fact that it lights up to start show that it isnt the starter packs. hope this helps.

Had smae problem with mine, see previous posting on the subject. Lamps not covered by warrenty (extended). Got hold of 2 genuine Philips lamps from the US, others have got them from Germany. Not diifficult to replace. MUCH cheaper to do it yourself.

DO NOT BUY CHEAP ONES FROM CHINA OR HONG KONG ON eBay!!! They do not work properly... I know from experience.

• 2 months later...

Same problem here, but only with my left headlight.

Lucky I drive mainly in the city, so there is no major issue. Still, it is very unpleasent. I also notice the light provided by the left headlamp is dimmer compared to the right one.

Any solutions? Will replacing the hid bulb solve it? And how do I do that?

my car is 3.5 years old with almost 60.000kms and both hids started to go off irregurarly.

I replaced both bulps (not ballasts!!!) and it is fine since then.

I bought here: http://www.ixenony.eu/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=16&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=55&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Somebody in this forum has posted link with these bulbs on e-bay, so try to search.

EDIT: specially for you: http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=63246

it includes link on DIY change...good luck.

my car is 3.5 years old with almost 60.000kms and both hids started to go off irregurarly.

I bought here: http://www.ixenony.eu/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=16&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=55&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Somebody in this forum has posted link with these bulbs on e-bay, so try to search.

EDIT: specially for you: http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=63246

My left bulb appears to have an issue/ Car also 3.5 yrs old with 60K. When its on it dont appear to be as bright and it keeps going off. I suspect previous owner put a cheap bulb in (had the car 3 months). Seen the direct replacement philips from flea bay for 50 quid with 3.50 delivery from what appears to be a reputable seller.

Also looked at the DIY but a little unsure. Spoke to a local garage (name got from here as independent service garage in SOT with Lexus experience). They said ~40 quid labour as front bumper needed to come off.

Also looked at the DIY but a little unsure. Spoke to a local garage (name got from here as independent service garage in SOT with Lexus experience). They said ~40 quid labour as front bumper needed to come off.

that is not true. no need to play with the bumper.

I followed the DIY - it is correct, however access to the bulp, specially from the side where is the screenwash water, is not easy.

• 2 months later...

Exactly the same problem here. Took it to the dealer who said they have to replace the unit. Apparently it costs £900 but he said the extended warranty will cover this.

Also if you have an extended warranty, please note that the dealer will say you have to pay for the bulbs (£160) since its wear and tear even though the problem is with the unit. only the unit will be replaced by the warranty. This is not true, speak to the Head of service and they should sort this out...

I have extended warranty and the dealer has confirmed left and right ballasts faulty and that the whole unit needs replacing (600 quid per unit). They are now checking with the warranty - did you have to negotiate or was it just accepted? If so, which dealer confirmed this just in case they try to suggest it isnt covered. bulbs were replaced before checking the ballasts so hope they are still OK (I got the bulbs from the states).

• 2 weeks later...

I have extended warranty and the dealer has confirmed left and right ballasts faulty and that the whole unit needs replacing (600 quid per unit). They are now checking with the warranty - did you have to negotiate or was it just accepted? If so, which dealer confirmed this just in case they try to suggest it isnt covered. Bulbs were replaced before checking the ballasts so hope they are still OK (I got the bulbs from the states).

Just picked the car up after two ballasts (well whole headlight units!) fitted. Parts would have cost £1200 but covered under Extended Warranty - Phew... Money well spent.

The bulbs were fine - the one that had gone yellow ish was down to the ballast. New ballasts and bulbs are burning my eyes out and back to the bright white.

My old bulbs were probably ok then! At least I have two spare now....

• 3 months later...

I have same problem on my GS300 91,000 miles. All fine on main beam but on dipped occassionally one or both go out. Lexus Stoke tell me I need new bulbs at a cost of £518 but I'm not convinced. They also mentioned it could be water ingress and suggested that later models were fitted with a different bulb which to me suggests this is a known problem. Ironically I recieved a recall notive from the DVLA last week covering replacement fuel pump and master brake cylinder. Lexus say these problems are not serious and will replace them in new year. It's a pity that faulty headlights (which I would have considered a very serious issue) are not covered by any such re-call.

I have same problem on my GS300 91,000 miles. All fine on main beam but on dipped occassionally one or both go out. Lexus Stoke tell me I need new bulbs at a cost of £518 but I'm not convinced. They also mentioned it could be water ingress and suggested that later models were fitted with a different bulb which to me suggests this is a known problem. Ironically I recieved a recall notive from the DVLA last week covering replacement fuel pump and master brake cylinder. Lexus say these problems are not serious and will replace them in new year. It's a pity that faulty headlights (which I would have considered a very serious issue) are not covered by any such re-call.

After I had both ballasts done under ext. warranty I still had flickering problems with the philips D4S bulbs I got on eBay. Lexus stoke charged me around £230 to replace one, whilst ir did fix the flicker it was a different colour to the eBay ones. I therefore had to change the other back to the original so they matched (a bit better anyway). I am reluctant to spend another £200+ on the other bulb to fix the colour or any flicker!

One thing I did find is that out of warranty, Lexus do offer an "onni fit" HID bulb at a fraction of the cost. Lexus Stoke said it didnt show up on the system automatically but they did find it (at £60 ish for the part iirc). I will wait and see how long my other bulb lasts before investigating.

You do make a valid point, speaking to other garages, the HID Xenon bulbs rarely go and I reckon its down to another fault, ballasts, or something else but either way they should be under a better warranty.

I have a 2005 GS300 and it's now displaying same symptoms i.e. head lights when dipped intermittantly go out. Lexus want £518 to replace both headlamps so I'm looking for an alternative source (my local garage will fit them for a fraction of the lexus cost) Is there a website in english I could use? Are you still happy to recommend above? John

• 3 years later...

Hi Everyone, I've have some great news for you! :D

I just wanted to let all you know that I fixed the intermittent HID headlight problem that happens to all late model Lexus car and trucks. I myself experienced this issue twice with my 2006 Lexus GS300 and heard stories of people changing their HID ballast because the problem is that both headlamps work in the beginning, it's after the car warms up that one of the HID light bulbs turns off. I hope you guys enjoy my how-to tutorial for fixing this problem, which is basically changing out the bulbs. Unfortunately for Lexus owners, changing out the bulbs is not the easiest thing in the world on these cars, that's why I made the video.

Please comment on the video if you have any questions for me.

And one more thing, I have several how-to videos for my Lexus on my Youtube channel if your interested in car maintenance, resetting the oil light, changing brakes, etc...

How to Fix Lexus HID Headlight Problems

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links