Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

One Of My Aquariums

TigerFish

I did a quick video of my main tank the other day for someone and thought I would share here. Hope you enjoy :)

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!

or goto youtube itself if it doesn't load

<----- Clicky

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely mix of fish. All my fish are outdoors in my fishpond (4m x 2m x 1.5m approx.) I have often thought about an aquarium but yours is outstanding.

Thats impressive. I have just set up again after many years, Nowhere near as big as that, Got a Jewel Trigon 190 corner tank 190 Ltr, Been up and running for about a month now so ready for more fish< deciding what to get is quite another thing, Just a few community fish at the moment Guppy's molly's 2 silver dollars a loach and a plec. Personally i would have gone the lake malawi route BUT er indoors likes her guppys :huh: I would like some fish that are community friendly but grow quite big (bit like the dollars) Discus are nice but not suitable :crybaby: Any suggestions welcome. Just out of interest i noticed your shark (lovely fish) is 14 years old, Whats the life expectancy of the sharks?

Lovely mix of fish. All my fish are outdoors in my fishpond (4m x 2m x 1.5m approx.) I have often thought about an aquarium but yours is outstanding.

Thanks Dave. A pond is next on the agenda. Had one a most places I've been so far, but have bigger lans this time round.

Thats impressive. I have just set up again after many years, Nowhere near as big as that, Got a Jewel Trigon 190 corner tank 190 Ltr, Been up and running for about a month now so ready for more fish< deciding what to get is quite another thing, Just a few community fish at the moment Guppy's molly's 2 silver dollars a loach and a plec. Personally i would have gone the lake malawi route BUT er indoors likes her guppys :huh: I would like some fish that are community friendly but grow quite big (bit like the dollars) Discus are nice but not suitable :crybaby: Any suggestions welcome. Just out of interest i noticed your shark (lovely fish) is 14 years old, Whats the life expectancy of the sharks?

Thanks. The trigons are nice corner tanks. Yeah, mbuna are a nice colourful and active collection of fish to have. Agressive, but a good excuse to pack as many fish into a tank as possible :lol:

Off the top of my head, bigger'ish fish (upto 6" mark) that I personally like a lot are spanner barb (Puntius lateristriga), Filement barb (Puntius filamentosus) although a little manic, Black ruby barb (Puntius nigrofasciatus), congo tetra (Phenacogrammus interruptus), blue rainbow fish (Melanotaenia lacustris), boesemani Ranbows (Melanotaenia boesemani). Lots really. I tend to stear clear of some of the popular types like tiger barbs, unless you have a batch of atleast 9 or 10, they are too nippy, especially to long finned stuff like guppys. The same goes for stuff like Buenos Aires tetras.

As far as the black shark goes, I would expect her to have atleast another 25 years in her. The clown loaches in the video are about 10 years old and around 7"-8", and I know they have been recorded to 40 years plus and reaching 13"-14". Generally, the bigger the fish, the longer the expected life span.

Thanks for that, much appreciated, I will look into the fish you suggested but i think i may have a problem getting them round here, The shops tend to be more of the mainstream fish but i'm still looking, I have found that good (healthy) fish suppliers are no where near as common as they used to be, We have a garden centre within half a mile and every time i have gone in there i have to point out some of their fish have white spot and they dont seem bothered. I have found one albeit small shop that seem more than ready to help and advise (free water tests too) and their fish are 100%.

While i'm here, the first couple of fish i put in were the plec and loach, I say loach as thats what i bought him as, Now that he's growing i'm not so sure he is, He looks very catty to me, Very shy, only really comes out when light is off, Loves algi tablets but can i heck get a good photo of him, i do have a couple of bad ones have you got any idea? If he is a cat he'll have to go i think as he'll feast on the others wont he? Thanks for any replies in advance.

fish2.jpg

fish.jpg

Yeah, that isn't a plec, looks like a Synodontis ocellifer, or very similar. There are quite a lot of hybrid syno's around these days so a completely positive i.d. can be hard sometimes. Shouldn't cause any of your current fish any harm unless they were very poorly anyway. Although they can get a bit grumpy if anything tries to take up in its hidey hole, especially as they get older. I have one (ocellifer) which I actually got around the same time as the black shark and it is still here 14 years later. It wasn't a baby when I got it either so it would be at least another couple of years older.

Where is the garden centre you use? In Chesterfield you shouldn't be too far from Pinxton in Nottinghamshire I don't think, Wharf Aquatics in Pinxton are usually very good and have a good selection of rarer stuff. Also Blue Lagoon Aquatics about a mile up the road from Wharf are decent enough too. They are a couple I can think off fairly close to you.

Yeah, that isn't a plec, looks like a Synodontis ocellifer, or very similar. Ha ha just googled the image and thats him alright, Thankyou

Where is the garden centre you use?I dont use it for my fish every time i have looked at them they are very poor, Mill garden Center Whittington Chesterfield

They also stock reptiles and even though i'm no expert they look to be healthy, It's just the fish that are poor.