Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Switchable Supercharger?

Hi guys,

I'm saving up (well at least trying to) for a TTE supercharger kit, but Im a bit concerned about ruining whats fuel economy I've got. I know the supercharger is the same as a Merc, and I think I've read somewhere they've got electric clutches controlled by the ECU. I only thought about it in work the other day when I was sea trialing a customers boat with a Volvo Penta D4 in it, which has got a supercharger and turbo, but only brings the supercharger in when you put the hammer down, otherwise the revs just build slowly till the turbo comes in. I wasb't thinking of getting that complicated with it, but was thinking of using a switch and some relays to be able to turn the charger and block on and off. Can the clutch from a Merc supercharger be fitted? And would the black box be freaked out by being switched on 'on the fly'.

Regards

Gareth

hi mate...

i just fitted my charger and see to be honest if driving it sensible i think its a tiny bit better on fuel,if you give it the beans you'll put a smile on your face and to be honest i was expecting a lot worse a LOT worse!!!

think i've lost 1 or 2 mpg so save up and get it done!!!you honestly wont regret it!!

lol, is it only worse when round town, cos my daily commute is 25 miles of motorway and duals, so no stop starting. Im trying my best to save, but the missus always finds something else to spend money on, for some reason she wants me to finish the kitchen I started in September (started as a change the doors, then change the units, the replaster the walls, then new ceiling, then the floor was uneven so we dug that up,lol, now were having new windows, and the room looks like a disaster zone) but I will keep trying. Im in 2 minds on getting a kit car to build, or the charger, or keep the Lex forever with a charger, then save up for a kitcar,lol. At least chargers depreciate. :D

lol, is it only worse when round town, cos my daily commute is 25 miles of motorway and duals, so no stop starting. Im trying my best to save, but the missus always finds something else to spend money on, for some reason she wants me to finish the kitchen I started in September (started as a change the doors, then change the units, the replaster the walls, then new ceiling, then the floor was uneven so we dug that up,lol, now were having new windows, and the room looks like a disaster zone) but I will keep trying. Im in 2 minds on getting a kit car to build, or the charger, or keep the Lex forever with a charger, then save up for a kitcar,lol. At least chargers depreciate. :D

i only find it slightly worse if i'm giving it the beans,i find slightly better round town,motorway and duals if i'm just driving normal....

keep the lex forever and charge it the car feels like a whole new car now and the noise will make you smile for ages!!

slightly off topic. chuck norris had a switch just like that fitted to his supercharged ford bronco in Lone Wolf McQuade which he used to power out of being buried alive. after a beer of course.

back on topic. i can't see how it could be done as the supercharger is being powered by engine. unless there was an additional clutch assembly that could engage and dis-engage by the flick of a switch.

slightly off topic. chuck norris had a switch just like that fitted to his supercharged ford bronco in Lone Wolf McQuade which he used to power out of being buried alive. after a beer of course.

that is my favourite scene of any movie, EVER!!!!

that is my favourite scene of any movie, EVER!!!!

actually, didn't mad max have a similar set up. with a lever he pulled, presumibly to engage/disengage the clutch?

What about the black/silver box tho, would that like being switched off? Or would it have to be an aftermarket one designed for the job?

If everything is already in the pully, but the wires arn't connected, how does it work? Is it disendaged when energised, or is the TTE setup just bolted together, negating the pully, I've only ever seen a supercharger as an onlooker, never fiddled with one,lol.

2010-noble-m600-tc-switch-1600x1200.jpg

It would be cool having a switch like this, especially at the traffic light Gran Prix,lol.

Gareth

• 9 years later...
On 2/11/2010 at 6:24 PM, el_gencer said:

back on topic. i can't see how it could be done as the supercharger is being powered by engine. unless there was an additional clutch assembly that could engage and dis-engage by the flick of a switch.

It is not a Ford Bronco. It’s a Dodge Ramcharger c’mon guy