Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dyson

Parthiban

Looking at getting a Dyson upright as a second vacuum cleaner, does anyone have a ball one and is it worth it over the normal one? We already have one really flexible vacuum cleaner (in fact the one the ball was based on) so I'm wondering whether the fixed wheel system might be really uncomfortable, but then reviews state the ball isn't really as versatile as Dyson claim it to be.

Then on top the fixed wheel version is more powerful and there was some other difference that I've forgotten now, but overall that is the better machine - it doesn't have the ball, but makes up for it with the above features as well as being a fair amount cheaper.

So which one to go for?

the ball is overrated, when compared to the conventional ones they imply its much harder to manage a normal one, but is all rubbish, as they refer to conventional as having like 4 wheels, however, the two rear wheels move indepently of each other and the front wheel (the spinning bristle roller thing) isn't fixed at all, as its spinning fast so it doesn affect steering the thing anyway as theres no traction

i'm not sure if any of that makes sense, but it does to me, the cheaper ones will still do the job as well, if not better

If you've not had a Dyson before, be aware that they are very heavy machines. I don't have a problem using it, but my poor girlfriend really can't manage it.

We still have it, but also bought a basic lightweight Vax cleaner and only use the Dyson periodically - there is no doubt it does a good job at picking up the dirt though, so it gets used every so often for a 'deep clean'.

We still have it, but also bought a basic lightweight Vax cleaner and only use the Dyson periodically - there is no doubt it does a good job at picking up the dirt though, so it gets used every so often for a 'deep clean'.

That's exactly what I'm buying it as, we already have a very expensive hoover for the day to day clean, the Dyson will be used occasionally for a deeper clean of high traffic areas and also for cleaning up the mess after some DIY and such.

Sounds perfect then, have you had any problems with the filters clogging up regularly or do they only need to be cleaned every few months?

Sounds perfect then, have you had any problems with the filters clogging up regularly or do they only need to be cleaned every few months?

Certainly when you read the adverts and they say 'never loses suction' - that is an outright lie, because they do lose suction. However they are quite easy to clean - basically take it outside to the bin and gently bash it and the dust flies off. As to how often it needs doing, well that depends what you're picking up with it!

Certainly when you read the adverts and they say 'never loses suction' - that is an outright lie, because they do lose suction. However they are quite easy to clean - basically take it outside to the bin and gently bash it and the dust flies off. As to how often it needs doing, well that depends what you're picking up with it!

What I meant was that I've had other brands of bagless cleaner and while they had good suction, it would only take about three full containers of vacuuming before the filters would be clogged and it would have almost zero suction.

What they advertise is that the suction doesn't decrease over the course of the container filling up (which is what happens with a bagged hoover), does that happen or is that what you meant is a lie?

I think it depends what you're picking up. When I've been doing some DIY and I'm picking up plaster dust, it clogs up and the suction drops off very quickly - just one session of cleaning up can do it. It's understandable that it happens, but the annoying thing is that they specifically advertise that it *never* loses suction - which it does.

It's probably fair to say that when using it only for normal household dirt, it would take quite some time for it to clog up to that extent.

I cannot understand fellow Lexus owners are considering a Dyson.

As Oscar Wilde once said "I know what I like. I am always satisfied with the best".

I have had the displeasure of using various of these awful devices and have even gone to the lengths of adapting a couple to suit the purpose for which they are (supposedly) intended. I have 1 that has been repaired so many times due to lack of .... well "suck".

Anyone who has everhad a dodgy supermarket trolley or tried to direct a modern pushchair will soon recognise that the ball is not designed for anything other than smashing the (non-sucking) unit in to furniture.

If you think you might have 10 years life in you during which time you will still be able to carry a bag of groceries then look no further than the Lexus of vacuum cleaners - a Kirby!

£2k new (with all the accesories including sander and fence spraying kit) but under £250 on fleabay. My 1990 model is wonderful. I wouldnt go even remotely near the baby with a Dyson.

And no. I dont sell them.

Buy 1 and solve your vacuuming problems now. Strong, quiet, powerful, beautifully built. Nuff said.

Steve

Actually bought the dyson on the weekend and I'm happy with it, the suction is ridiculously powerful which is all I really wanted so is perfect for the occasional heavy cleaning I wanted it for. Although it could do with a variable power knob as it physically can't be moved over a couple of silk rugs we have (it wasn't purchased to hoover that, just had to test it out!)

This Kirby thing has been mentioned a few times now but I don't really get it as it looks prehistoric and doesn't appear to have the cutting edge technology that's in the main day to day vacuum we currently have. Not many people have heard of it, it's a Vorwerk and while expensive at around £850 it's a bargain compared to the Kirby, plus it has amazing quality German design to extract a lot of power from quite a small motor. Plus it's very light, incredibly manoeuvrable with a really flexible head and slides easily under furniture.

In fact Dyson actually bought in a ton of these machines to analyse the flexibility of the head when they were coming up with the ball, I have no idea what happened for them to fail so miserably! For day to day vacuuming, it really is unbeatable - where it doesn't work so well and the reason for the dyson is when you just the hose attachment, this is where the small motor just can't provide the required suction to remove stubborn DIY filth or similar.

It has to be the obvious choice for the Lexus owner looking for the absolute best :)

kobold_136.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I didn't like the way the ball one moved - I think the pivot is in the wrong place as you want the front where the brush bar is to be able to move easily and that has fixed wheels!

Whereas the Meile has got it 100% spot on. Castors at the front and is a dream to use. Only downside is bags (though if they can get excellent and consistant suction with it then fine) and its heavy. But its won all Which? awards so can't be too bad.

Meile Cat and Dog model is FANTASTIC!!

I have had mine for years and can't fault it. Which? magazine rate it tops, and slate the Dyson nuf said, they also say there is NO correlation between bags or no bags in regard to loss of suction in top brands.

• 3 weeks later...

If you've not had a Dyson before, be aware that they are very heavy machines. I don't have a problem using it, but my poor girlfriend really can't manage it.

I have a DC21 (which is not an upright model) and my girlfriend also says she finds it heavy. I should add that I don't find it heavy at all, and I think it's a brilliant machine.

• 2 weeks later...

I love the Dyson ball!! Its an amazing hoover so easy to use even with my bad back and weak girly arms! I also have a henry which is awful and kills my back!

From a womans point of view (whos very experienced in the hoover department!) dyson balls are the best dysons and best hoovers ive used (including Kirbys!! Bloody things way a ton!)

I hope you enjoy using your new dyson ball Parthiban...

• 3 weeks later...

I hope you enjoy using your new dyson ball Parthiban...

Yep very happy, didn't actually get a ball in the end, got the standard one, the suction still impresses me though :)

• 1 month later...

I have had two Dyson vacs - a DC05 (twin cylinder looking one) and and original DC01. They worked well until the filters clogged up and they cost a fortune to replace but the real reason we scrapped them both is that they fell apart...the plastics are not particularly good and the handle broke off the DC05. That was probably 5 - 6 years ago.

Bought a Miele Solution HEPA S718 and it has been brilliant. Much better build quality, is much lighter in weight and the suction is fine...so it uses bags (cheap on Ebay)...never a problem with it, nothing has broken and have only need to replace filter once in 7 years!

I'd like to support UK engineering but quality and reliability just isn't there...which is why I drive a Lexus!

This is my first Dyson but the quality appears decent. I have to agree there are some crude edges but otherwise it's been great to use.

Must add here that this isn't our main vacuum, it's a Vorwerk that does the brunt of the vacuuming, the Dyson is there to do an occasional deep clean of the carpets with it's crazy power, and otherwise mainly for DIY cleanups and the such.

For that it's been pretty decent :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links