Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Private Reg Plate ?

Most plates with the numeric’s at 20 or below are classed as private same as 111 or 222 etc and according to the number plate bodies a plate the changes hands for monies is classed as private.

My plate was issued in 1954 and would sell for a lot more than a new Lexus are you saying as it’s a plate off an old car it’s worthless!!

I deal in plates for a living and you would not believe what sells and for how much.

Ade

Thanks for the clarification.... However you and I both know that any plate is only worth what someone will pay for it, however like many commodities that have no use, there will always be someone who will pay for the perceived prestige of individuality. So no I'm not saying that a plate off an old car is worthless, but other than the way that a reg plate identifies a motor car, it is pretty pointless.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most plates with the numeric's at 20 or below are classed as private same as 111 or 222 etc and according to the number plate bodies a plate the changes hands for monies is classed as private.

My plate was issued in 1954 and would sell for a lot more than a new Lexus are you saying as it's a plate off an old car it's worthless!!

I deal in plates for a living and you would not believe what sells and for how much.

Ade

Thanks for the clarification.... However you and I both know that any plate is only worth what someone will pay for it, however like many commodities that have no use, there will always be someone who will pay for the perceived prestige of individuality. So no I'm not saying that a plate off an old car is worthless, but other than the way that a reg plate identifies a motor car, it is pretty pointless.

all my company vehicles have "private" plates, they either say the name of the company or have a connection with the company's work

gimicky yes, but people notice and remember

another scenario is when someone says they saw a plate on a car, they then name the car and its plate, whereas with an ordinary plate they only ever recite the car

Most plates with the numeric’s at 20 or below are classed as private same as 111 or 222 etc and according to the number plate bodies a plate the changes hands for monies is classed as private.

My plate was issued in 1954 and would sell for a lot more than a new Lexus are you saying as it’s a plate off an old car it’s worthless!!

Ade

That's true it’s all about individuality or showing off depending on your point of view oh and having very deep pockets a decent plate will cost many £K’s

Poor Chap, I have L20 ose, what else have you guys got anything good relating to lexus? or the model?

i have l8xss

p141109164501.jpg

Loving the plate ormi, how much that set you back?

the wife bought it for me ,the first day i got the lex brought it home cleaned it put it in the garage went looking for a plate found l8xss on the dvla web site best part it was £250 all in on the car!!! and the lex didn't come out the garage till i had the plate on the car.....

That's true it’s all about individuality or showing off depending on your point of view oh and having very deep pockets a decent plate will cost many £K’s

Yes indeed... If I was to suddenly inherit plate number A1 (Assuming that it ever existed) I would be most pleased and I would start looking immediately for the best way to sell it as only then would it be of any use to me. I'm sure that you would see it the same way..

I do get a little bemused at some of the plates that I see, clearly someone has paid good money for them to make themselves stand out from the crowd, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is they are trying to say... As stated elsewhere there are plenty of BMWs about with BMW in the reg number...... I'm sorry, I just don't get it, they paid X hundred pounds to have on their number plate what it says on the boot badge above and that badge came free with the car...

Perhaps I'm just too old and grouchy to get what they are all about.

Ade

You sound bitter about this plate business. Are you sore because you can't afford a 'private' plate?

You sound bitter about this plate business. Are you sore because you can't afford a 'private' plate?

On the contrary... I'd rather buy something useful. If you would like to be silly about it, perhaps we could argue that there are some with more money than sense...

or you could put it down to personnel taste some people might want to buy springs and some might argue that its a waste of money with the amount of potholes around

same can go for private plates alot of people i no buy a plate with there name or similar

or you could put it down to personnel taste some people might want to buy springs and some might argue that its a waste of money with the amount of potholes around

same can go for private plates alot of people i no buy a plate with there name or similar

I could understand it if you could buy a plate with "PETER A JONES" though I still wouldn't buy one myself but but R344PAJ on a new car is beyond me.

Anyway, It's been a good discussion and I'm off to bed...... Night night boys and girls..

That was a well good bargain, quick question my plate is L20 OSE thats how its set on my car, could i have it as L200 SE or would the police constantly pull me over?

i've had my plate like in the pic for about a year and i've had no problems..............

as for a waste of money its all down to taste.......to be honest money doesn't intrest me,neither does spending it,i work hard for it. you cant spend it when your dead can you??(no i'm not visa'd up to my eye balls i dont have one and no i have no loans etc all i have is a morgage)

i find it funny when people come on to a post and rather than say looks good but not for me they come on with whats the point ,thats crap,why wast money etc

eg me and the wife got married last year cost us £16,000 why spend that i got asked whats the point you can get married for less than that(me and the wife paid for our wedding) why coz i wanted my wife to have the best day of her life and i wasn't going to cheap out.....also i'm glad i did as my dad had the time of his life and that night was the last time i saw him he passed away suddenly at 5am ie 5 hours after my wedding.

bought a 170,000k house as above you dont wanna spend that on a house,why you wanting a big house buy a cheaper one etc so on and so fourth no one said good job etc i wanted the best house that i could get didnt want a run down siht hole.(i'm 29 the wifes 27)

the point is if your not happy/dont like then dont post....

i wouldn't like to think how much i've spent on my car ,charger, stereo, brakes,wheels etc(see my sig)people might see it as a waste of money but i smile from ear to ear when i'm out driving the car and enjoy when people ask me about the car at shows

That was a well good bargain, quick question my plate is L20 OSE thats how its set on my car, could i have it as L200 SE or would the police constantly pull me over?

i've had my plate like in the pic for about a year and i've had no problems..............

as for a waste of money its all down to taste.......to be honest money doesn't intrest me,neither does spending it,i work hard for it. you cant spend it when your dead can you??(no i'm not visa'd up to my eye balls i dont have one and no i have no loans etc all i have is a morgage)

i find it funny when people come on to a post and rather than say looks good but not for me they come on with whats the point ,thats crap,why wast money etc

eg me and the wife got married last year cost us £16,000 why spend that i got asked whats the point you can get married for less than that(me and the wife paid for our wedding) why coz i wanted my wife to have the best day of her life and i wasn't going to cheap out.....also i'm glad i did as my dad had the time of his life and that night was the last time i saw him he passed away suddenly at 5am ie 5 hours after my wedding.

bought a 170,000k house as above you dont wanna spend that on a house,why you wanting a big house buy a cheaper one etc so on and so fourth no one said good job etc i wanted the best house that i could get didnt want a run down siht hole.(i'm 29 the wifes 27)

the point is if your not happy/dont like then dont post....

i wouldn't like to think how much i've spent on my car ,charger, stereo, brakes,wheels etc(see my sig)people might see it as a waste of money but i smile from ear to ear when i'm out driving the car and enjoy when people ask me about the car at shows

Totally agree with you there... As long as bills get paid it doesnt bother me how much I spend on my lex or my partner spends on his countless BMW's. Its the old saying "you cant take it with you"

I agree with saving money but what use is money sat in the bank when you could be living life to the full while you can!!

Im un-employed at the min and my partner is self employed with little work coming in, we make sure we do something every week whether its taking step daughter out, or having a take-away... as long as bills are paid who cares :lol:

I could understand it if you could buy a plate with "PETER A JONES" though I still wouldn't buy one myself but but R344PAJ on a new car is beyond me.

Anyway, It's been a good discussion and I'm off to bed...... Night night boys and girls..

I know this plate is an example BUT if you did have that plate many would not know what it is and consider it worthless, But going back to it's what people see in the plate, put it on a Pajero and it's a totally different plate, Would probably be worth a few hundred quid over at pocuk

Dylan (looking for a plate) Evans :winky:

I also have a private plate which has my name on it, bought it at the age of 17 as a long term investment and to use it on my car. since owning the plate i have spent £400+ on just putting it on my cars. i am not bothered about how much it has cost me because i have enjoyed having a private plate on my very own car.

end of the day some people buy stuff down to their own opinion and choice. everyone is different and we all have different minds and do not all think a-like. B)

OOOOOOO Must join in!!

I have a so called private plate. I used to drive a 10 year old car, but owned my own business....buying a cheap Northern Ireland plate, 6 digit, for £200 quid allowed me to disguise the age of the car....yes clients DO care about such things (although i don't) it worked, and saved me buying an image car for thousands of squids !

If you want a private plate, and you can still pay off the credit card...fair enough.

OOOOOOO Must join in!!

I have a so called private plate. I used to drive a 10 year old car, but owned my own business....buying a cheap Northern Ireland plate, 6 digit, for £200 quid allowed me to disguise the age of the car....yes clients DO care about such things (although i don't) it worked, and saved me buying an image car for thousands of squids !

If you want a private plate, and you can still pay off the credit card...fair enough.

Thats one of the reasons I got my plate... my IS200 looks newer than what it actually is and I was getting fed up with people saying "oh you have a Y-reg car, why??' how a reg can change everything, now they just tell me how nice my lex is... plus Ive wanted my initials on a plate for as long as I can remember so I got it

I'm a little confused by the argument as all regs 1-30 are private aren't they as well as the repeated numbers - a quick look at the DVLA site could explain that quite easily rather than have a futile argument and bash the OP about something he didn't even ask about!

But private plates are something that different people feel differently about, I like them but wouldn't pay over the odds for one. As an example I'm looking for one at the mo with just my initials and then a number or two but the sort of money being asked for ones like that is just far more than I'd spend on it personally.

I actually think a nice private plate makes a car look better, but that's just me maybe. But it's the same with anything though isn't it? What you might think is worthwhile spending, another would say is nonsense. Can't you say the same about accessories for your car like alloys and such? It makes no real difference to the car after all does it?

And then why buy a Lexus? A simple Toyota could probably do what a Lexus does for far less money, but you buy a Lexus because of the way it makes you feel and the statement it makes to the outside world about you.

This could go on all day, but it's such a silly argument as no one can say whether it's a waste of money or not. To provide a sane explanation, license plates are the only thing that have never gone down in value - makes it quite a safe investment........ :whistling:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links