Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

It stands for Continuously Variable Transmission, but to apply it to an IS250 Auto is incorrect as last time I checked mine definitely had 6 forward gears :D CVT only applies to a transmission that is 'infinitely' variable e.g. cone systems.

I'm looking to change my IS220d for a IS250. Browsing through the car ads many are 250 CVT - hope it's not a silly question but what does CVT stand for?

Hi mick77, as above i didnt think the normal IS250's had CVT transmission, it might be possible if its a hybrid as this is common in the Lexus Hybrid cars.

Why are you switching to the 250? Are you looking for a newer model or too many issues with your 220?

Thanks for the replies. Many ads for Lexus IS250's state CVT so that is odd.

The only reason I'm thinking of changing to the 250 is because it is in my view more "refined" and quieter than the 220d, maybe altogether a bit more civilised if you like. I have to say that unlike others on here I have had no problems with my 220d, it is a lovely car, 55 plate with 60k, though I've only had it 15 months. There are some good deals at present on 250's, even the full spec I am looking for (SE-L with MM) so though I don't really need to change if I can snap up a bargain now I'll probably go for it.

I have to say though that although like all the Lexus diesels I suffer from the "lag" when pulling away, the torque is very good at middle/high speed and suprisinlgy given the praise I read about them on this forum the 250 seemed a bit more sluggish in the same range if you needed to put your foot down so still not 100% decided!

The only reason I'm thinking of changing to the 250 is because it is in my view more "refined" and quieter than the 220d, maybe altogether a bit more civilised if you like. I have to say that unlike others on here I have had no problems with my 220d, it is a lovely car, 55 plate with 60k, though I've only had it 15 months. There are some good deals at present on 250's, even the full spec I am looking for (SE-L with MM) so though I don't really need to change if I can snap up a bargain now I'll probably go for it.

I have to say though that although like all the Lexus diesels I suffer from the "lag" when pulling away, the torque is very good at middle/high speed and suprisinlgy given the praise I read about them on this forum the 250 seemed a bit more sluggish in the same range if you needed to put your foot down so still not 100% decided!

Im still looking for a 220d myself, so if you do come to sell then let me know what you want for it :) Im sure id give you more than trade in, but cant afford the dealer prices :S

I agree with you on the IS250 performance. Even though its got considerably more power than the 220, it just feels slower, and while overtaking in a 220 is really easy, the 250 does not give you a lot of confidence! The 220 Sport version is even better as it does not suffers from the "lag". I was well dissapointed in terms of performance when I tried the 250, expected much more power... however I did love the quietness and refinement of the engine, it is incredibly smooth.

Overtaking in the 220d is easier because of the 300lbft of torque. My experience. The 220d wasn't faster from standstill compared to Is250, and the 250 needed lots of revs >4200rpm to make it feel quick. ECT helps too but. below 4200RPM it never seemed too quick.

The car is heavy and no doubt that does not help.

The 220d is OK from standstill, but after 3600 rpm, it starts to make more noise than actually moving faster.

Lots of cars have a CVT type box, not just Hybrids. Audi Multitronic, Nissan Micra's, Honda Jazz, even some Fords and Fiat's I believe??

Some one once explained that it was like an elastic band and a cotton reel ;)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links