Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Are Lexus Values Going To Be Affected By Toyota Issues?

I appreciate that Lexus may have different componants and standards, but one can't help but wonder that the headline news both here and in the States about the parent company Toyota, will have an adverse affect on trade in values for Lexus or affect prices of new vehicles.

Been thinking the same thing, and the answer I keep coming up with is yes on both counts. but hey, maybe the ar5e will fall out the ISF & i'll be able to afford one (always looking for the silver lining)

Well seeing as Lexus cars (the HS250h) were affected Lexus isn't immune to all this (and a lot of parts are shared) - it may affect values in the short term but can't imagine it'll have a long term effect.

Well seeing as Lexus cars (the HS250h) were affected Lexus isn't immune to all this (and a lot of parts are shared) - it may affect values in the short term but can't imagine it'll have a long term effect.

Im wondering if it will delay the release of the CT200H as well.

As the IS250 will be my next car, im hoping the values will come down a bit, somehow i dont think they will though.

It is bound to Hit Lexus too. The family that died in America was in a Lexus (an ES??? which is based on a Toyota Camry???), but. it is bound to hit both. I certainly would be thinking that and be a little worried about values at PEX time.

BBC had a response from Mr T yesterday to US Congress, which implied that their "priorities became confused", which I suppose means that they compromised quality over quantity.

Other makers in the past have done this too, and it has taken years and years to win back loyal customers. Take a well known german maker for example that is still suffering.

Pedals getting stuck under a mat though is silly on 2 counts:

Firstly, you should always make sure the mat isn't interfering with the pedals

Secondly as a manufacturer, you should make sure that there are tethers for the mats so they don't slip around and stay firmly secure.

For these 2 reasons, I worry when people go out and but after market mats because they are cheaper.........

What I find interesting though is how the JD power surveys will be hit - if they dip significantly then it will indicate that people vote in "band wagons", which is a view I have!! :whistling:

I appreciate that Lexus may have different componants and standards, but one can't help but wonder that the headline news both here and in the States about the parent company Toyota, will have an adverse affect on trade in values for Lexus or affect prices of new vehicles.

When you trade in your car, the Lexus dealer will remember that it is one from the generation that had the problems - but the new one of course will be made after everything has been sorted. Yet another tool to keep the margin up between buying and selling. It will be like that until another manufacturer is singled out.

When you trade in your car, the Lexus dealer will remember that it is one from the generation that had the problems - but the new one of course will be made after everything has been sorted. Yet another tool to keep the margin up between buying and selling. It will be like that until another manufacturer is singled out.

"When you trade in your car, the Lexus dealer will remember that it is one from the generation that had the problems" What problems?? Anyway,

I don't understand this worry, please don't blow this out of proportion like the press are enjoying doing.

The problem is with a part within a Toyota which is to be replaced. The problem isn't with e.g. gearbox's or engines blowing up randomly across the whole of Toyota/ Lexus cars, or cars igniting killing thousands across the world. It's a 'potential' problem like the Lexus had with the break callipers. This is all silly media hype and Toyota will still be the worlds No1 car manufacturer when the press run out of coverage with this news.

I can't see there being an issue come trade in time.

It's all down to perception and yes the media has made it worse.

We bought a Gen3 Prius, and it would have been affected by the brake thing. Anyway, not an issue now as it got totalled 5 weeks ago (Transit Van ran into back of it). We were lucky to get the money back rather than a new one, which we could have had through the insurance. So we bought a Golf Bluemotion (cracking car).

Anyway, my neighbour commented a few days ago:

"I bet your glad you don't have the Prius or that LEXUS!" For those that know the link between them, the perception is there and it will have an impact. Also, not many people who have seen the Youtube of that USA incident would cotton on that an ES is effectively a rebadged Toyota, or the HS250 is a Prius with a Lexus badge and is subject to recalls.

So I cannot see how people would differentiate if they know they are made on similar production lines etc.

Funnily my neighbour also asked me if my Beemer had cracked alloys. Again, I reminded him that I have 18inch ACS's (and no RFT's). So it goes to prove that mud really sticks!!

Sounds like your neighbour pays a lot of attention to recalls!

However I don't think the majority are like that, give it 6-12 months and once it's out of the press most will forget about it. As long as they learn their lesson and increase quality control then it should turn around pretty quick.

Sorry to hear about your Prius but glad it got sorted easily and I imagine no one was hurt. Must have been quite a whack to write off a brand new car though! But yes in terms of low emission cars it's a bad time for the Prius to have any bad press as there are a few alternatives - the BMW 320d ED being the most interesting.

Has the Prius/HS250h thing been recognised as an actual problem then as well? I thought it was just a brake feel issue?

Sounds like your neighbour pays a lot of attention to recalls!

However I don't think the majority are like that, give it 6-12 months and once it's out of the press most will forget about it. As long as they learn their lesson and increase quality control then it should turn around pretty quick.

Sorry to hear about your Prius but glad it got sorted easily and I imagine no one was hurt. Must have been quite a whack to write off a brand new car though! But yes in terms of low emission cars it's a bad time for the Prius to have any bad press as there are a few alternatives - the BMW 320d ED being the most interesting.

Has the Prius/HS250h thing been recognised as an actual problem then as well? I thought it was just a brake feel issue?

It was a front/rear - the Van pushed my brother who was driving the Prius into the back of a bus in Tipton!! Medium/heavy rear and light front, but the damage was over £10,000 apparently as the boot floor was damaged!! I was shocked too as it didn't look too bad from the outside. I think I have a photo somewhere and will find it.

But. Time will heal of course, and Toyota are superb company and their approach to this has been excellent so far.

My neighbour is self confessed petrol head so he's always nearly up to date (!!) on information. He drives an Alfa Mito!

Apparently the brake can feel weak if applied when going over bumps? I'm sure that's what I was told.

Was there any chassis damage then? I had a similar crash a while back in my IS200, medium rear and light front, boot floor was all out of shape and a lot of the rear end was replaced. However on the IS the repair was around £4500 if I remember correctly, I guess with all those batteries in the boot they would probably all need replacing in the event of a crash. Either way hope your brother's ok, my neck and shoulder were in serious pain for a week or two after!

Yeah as long as they don't have any more episodes like this in the near future they should be ok, but if this becomes a habit it would be a problem.

Was there any chassis damage then? I had a similar crash a while back in my IS200, medium rear and light front, boot floor was all out of shape and a lot of the rear end was replaced. However on the IS the repair was around £4500 if I remember correctly, I guess with all those batteries in the boot they would probably all need replacing in the event of a crash. Either way hope your brother's ok, my neck and shoulder were in serious pain for a week or two after!

Yeah as long as they don't have any more episodes like this in the near future they should be ok, but if this becomes a habit it would be a problem.

To be honest, I have no idea how bad it was, I left it to the powers that make the decisions, though we were ready for repairs.

He was absolutely fine, no pain or anything, an I think the headrests did their job. He braced himself when he heard the brakes and looked in the door mirrors.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links