Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Road Trip!

Mbay

So Im planning a road trip to Switzerland for the end of next week. Goin to the motor show!

I'm going in the Lex and I was wondering what advice you guys could give me for the Lex.

Will it be able to do it? Should I take any spare parts that may break?

Just your thoughts peeps!

I think certain countries mandate the carrying of spare bulbs, warning triangle etc, so it would be a good idea to get some of those. Also I think Switzerland might have certain rules on the use of winter tyres but that might only apply in the higher altitude areas. You will also need GB stickers if your number plate doesn't have them, and should consider the use of headlight converters.

Otherwise it's just the usual stuff - check tyre tread and pressures, coolant, put properly concentrated screenwash in so it doesn't freeze in colder areas. These cars are reliable, and rolling down a motorway for a day or two is nothing to them.

Hi , as said previously ,if you have checked the car out you should not have any problems driving there and back ;I went over in the summer ( in my MX5 not the Lexus ) and I hope the following tips may help ; Carry spare bulb kit ,first aid kit ,and warning triangle . some police are very pedantic especially with the brits so the reflective jackets should be in view

in the vehicle NOT in the boot . the motor ways are toll free but you will need a Motorway Vignette lasts 1 year ;can be bought on line £27 or at the border on the day

see www.swisstravelsystem.com . It sticks on the windscreen so can easily be seen . Watch speed and distance in any tunnels ( headlights compulsary) .You need a GB plate as the swiss are not in the EU. There were some Problems with speed camera warning systems being banned ( they need the money :D ) but that was in the summer so it might be worth checking on this

Enjoy your trip

As true blue says, you have to buy a tax disc and display it in your windscreen to drive on the motorways; this called a 'Vignette'. When I went to Switzerland in August 2008 I tried to get one at the border crossing but couldn't find anywhere to buy one so had to drive on. I tried a petrol station but couldn't get one and ended up having to detour into a small town and got one at the main post office. If you can buy one on line before you go as true blues says then I would recommend you do so.

Headlight converters are things you stick on the front of your headlight lens to re-direct your lights to the other side (your driving on the wrong side of the road!!).

You must use headlights when driving through tunnels. In fact I found that most people have there headlights on all the time, especially when driving on the mountain roads.

As true blue says WATCH YOUR SPEED. The police are very very hot on speeding especially if your a foreigner.

Hi , to find out what is compulsary in each country you will pass through check on Google in driving in europe .the swiss tax is available via that web site I listed .If you do not have it you WILL be stopped 100 Franc fine The beam deflectors can be bought from Halfords and must be fitted even if you do not drive at night. You need to carry all documents

driving licence Insurance ( tell your company you are going and you need the same cover as in the UK) V5 registration document If you wear specs you must have a spare pair with you No drinking and driving (0.5 Mg) I don.t want this to sound too complicated as it is all common sense really and I have covered over 10,000 miles over the last few years on touring holidays all over Europe with no problems at all

Hi If it's the EU plate with a small circle of stars and GB on it I don't think they like those ; you might be better putting the (old fashioned ) GB oval stick on one.

You can get one at the terminal office when you leave the country

so im at the ferry terminal in dover waiting to get on. the lex has done well,

had no issues. from ours to here was near enuff 300 miles and ive gotjust unde

half a tank left. not bad. lets see how drivin on tother side goes!

sorry guys, didn't want to update as only had my phone and would have cost a bomb in internet charges.

As I said, I got to dover no probs at all. I've never driven on the wrong side of the road so I had to get used to it. Which i did!

We got off the ferry in boulogne and from there to geneva took from 3.15 pm to 11pm. All solid driving, and only a few stops for petrol, etc.

The lex just guzzled the miles and the petrol! But it didn't miss a beat! Even in the swiss mountains! I'm made up with it!

And I had to do it on the way back too! Didn't get back till 2am this mornin, and left at 5 am yesterday. And still, the lex didn't miss a beat!

One thing, NEVER AGAIN!

Oh, I'll get some pics up of the lex and the motor show asap

sorry guys, didn't want to update as only had my phone and would have cost a bomb in internet charges.

As I said, I got to dover no probs at all. I've never driven on the wrong side of the road so I had to get used to it. Which i did!

We got off the ferry in boulogne and from there to geneva took from 3.15 pm to 11pm. All solid driving, and only a few stops for petrol, etc.

The lex just guzzled the miles and the petrol! But it didn't miss a beat! Even in the swiss mountains! I'm made up with it!

And I had to do it on the way back too! Didn't get back till 2am this mornin, and left at 5 am yesterday. And still, the lex didn't miss a beat!

One thing, NEVER AGAIN!

Hello. I did this journey on a motorbike some years ago, I would recommend it to anyone, in a car or bike and take a little longer over the journey than you did!

Did you see the new Lexus CT? How did it look in the metal? Would you buy one?

One thing, NEVER AGAIN!

Hello. I did this journey on a motorbike some years ago, I would recommend it to anyone, in a car or bike and take a little longer over the journey than you did!

Did you see the new Lexus CT? How did it look in the metal? Would you buy one?

yeah i saw the ct. its ok but nothin special. but im sure the tech in it is great though. ill get the pics ip when i get a chance.

the lfa was fab!

i covered 1619 miles in total, not bad considerin i bought it with 120k on the clock.

good pics,,did lexus run on a white theme for the show then ?

glad you had a good trip with no problems-you allways feel a kind of affinity with your car after a long run like that i think

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links